Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    frankiegee9 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2010, 10:47 AM
    Questions about california's current child support laws?
    I'm 18, and want to know more about child support laws.
    I'm not sure I understand the difference between SSI and SSDI.
    Right now, does receiving either excuse the parent from paying child support?
    And if the court just issued an order for child support a year ago, there are no laws requiring that the money from previous years be paid right? (before we went to court) are there states that would require past payments to be made? And there are currently no laws in CA hat the parent has to help pay support for college right?
    Please let me know of any other laws/issues like these as well.
    Thank you!
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 21, 2010, 01:05 PM

Can you explain your situation because this sounds like homework.
    frankiegee9 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2010, 03:22 PM
    haha you figured it out lol. It's Kind of hw.
    my class has to write letters to legislators/congressman/gov officials about any issue.
    I don't want to waste time on writing about traffic lights or roads or random stuff I don't care about,
    my own payments will stop after this June, so I thought I might as well as try and learn about ca laws.
    I have to write about something, so better that it can benefit me somehow.
    just curious on the flaws of the child support laws (in a reciever's pov)
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 21, 2010, 04:41 PM

There are 3 ways you can approach this. Both take research but might be worthwhile.

1) Find out if there is unfairness in the current court system. i.e. Moms being granted custody most of the time vs dad percentage wise.

2) the percentages of non paying parents being exposed to impuned wage amounts. Seems the only time the courts are interested in impuning amounts is to the payer not the receiver of the funds.

3) you could also compare California's Dissomaster vs other states and their percentage charts or online calculators and see how it differs and ask why? Why is California so expensive why your ordered to pay child support?

Ref:

http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/selfhelp/family/support/
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 21, 2010, 04:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by frankiegee9 View Post
    haha you figured it out lol. it's KINDA hw.
    my class has to write letters to legislators/congressman/gov officials about any issue.
    i don't want to waste time on writing about traffic lights or roads or random stuff i don't care about,
    my own payments will stop after this june, so i thought i might as well as try and learn about ca laws.
    i have to write about something, so better that it can benefit me somehow.
    just curious on the flaws of the child support laws (in a reciever's pov)

Also welcome to AMHD. Look around there are lots of areas here to ask legitimate questions. But this area is normally reserved for family law issues that persons are having. It's a volunteer site so be patient.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Apr 21, 2010, 07:35 PM

I agree with Calif. Rather than trying to find a flaw that would make it easier on the collector and hader on the payor check out other options. Things like this are a two way street. Like why did the custodial parent not go to court sooner? That is their responsibility. You will go much farther if you take one of his suggestions and expand on it. Yes, it will take work but everything worth it does.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 21, 2010, 07:38 PM

Please review the guidelines on asking for help with homework that can be found here:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/arts-l...board-b-u.html

We will not do your work for you. Do your own research and we will be happy to critique it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garnishing wages of current wife for child support [ 2 Answers ]

I just got married. My husband's ex wife is garnishing his wages for child support. He has agreed but she keeps threatening that if he gets laid off that the attorney general will garnish my wages! Can she do this? I have 2 kids of my own and get no child support, please help!

Child support laws [ 2 Answers ]

My husband has1 son 2 yrs.we have been paying her 180 week.he had job of 600 /week but changed to 400 per week.. we stayed 4 hrs far from her grandmother house.she stays in Georgia and we stay in tennesse.1 hr far. We applied to court for modification of cs and judge said why don't u move to...

Can my ex get child support from my current wife for my kid? [ 3 Answers ]

Thx to those that applied to my original question. So assuming that they are able to get a child support order.. How do they figure the amount? My current wife and I have an LLC and we are both 50/50 partners. It's a Sub S corp, so we are on a salary.. we each get our own salary, the same...

Child support laws in ca [ 16 Answers ]

Hello my name is tracy I am not a dead beat father I pay my child support and send extray money and buy school clothing as well and other expences as well each month. My daughter is finishing high school this year in June. She has a son that is 1 year old, my grand son and I provid mony for that as...

Child support laws [ 1 Answers ]

My ex wants to lower his child support payments, if he lives with his fiancée and pays her bills including her mortgage does the court take this into effect

View more questions Search