Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    natashaphilip Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2010, 10:06 AM
    I want your thoughts on skin lightening for my university project
    Hi everyone,

I'm a student at the University of Leeds in the UK and I'm doing a project which involves making a documentary on a topical issue.

I've chosen to do mine on skin lightening and the lengths some people will go to in order to get lighter skin.

I'd appreciate it if you could all post your thoughts on this issue. I understand it's most popular amongst black and Asian people, but I'd love to hear all your thoughts, regardless of your race.

If you could answer some or all of the questions below, it would be great:

1) What are your general thoughts on skin lightening? Do you agree with it or do you think it is pointless/ridiculous?

2) Have you ever lightened your skin before using creams, peels, etc? Would you ever consider doing it?

3) Have any of you tried skin lightening and found it to be successful? Have any of you had a bad reaction to it or some other horrific story to tell?

4) Why do you think people want to lighten their skin in the first place?

5) Do you think skin lightening products should be banned or made illegal? Or do you think they are the same as Western countries selling tanning products?

If you could give me any feedback on the issue, it would be much appreciated. I'd love to hear what you all think. Your answers will be put into my documentary project, which will only be seen by my lecturer.

If you could all also give me an indication of where you're from and your age, that would be great. I'd like to get a broad range of answers from people of different ages and from different countries/cultures.

If you have any other questions or want to send me your answers in private, please don't hesitate to e-mail me at EMAIL REMOVED.

Thanks a lot,
    Natasha
    fairr Posts: 285, Reputation: 6

Apr 21, 2010, 10:45 AM

Look on the tyra banks show on skin bleaching you'll get good info there
    nikkicute Posts: 733, Reputation: 35

Apr 21, 2010, 11:26 AM
    If you search the forum you'll find loads of information that can answer your questions.
    CinnamonComplexion Posts: 58, Reputation: 0

Apr 22, 2010, 06:40 AM

I am 26yrs old, American, and African American. I love my darker skin. I am of a peanut butter brown. I have discoloration as many darker people do and that is my whole pointof getting these products to focus on the darker parts and lighten them up.

Why does everyone want to lighten up and not darken? Well, people are brainwashed. This is a white world ruled by the white society that has embedded in our people that whiter is beter or at least, anything closer. So people feel a benefit when they're lighter as if they look better, are better, etc... Not all, but some people.

It's sad that this is what's created for my people. The brainwashing is sad and also a sign of weakness.

Bleaching cream usually work better for already-light skin tones. Usually darker people, and especially really dark people have to accept who they are and how they look.

I just don't understand when a person is already more than medium brown and up, what is there to bleach, especially when they're black- actually, only when they're black. Now that's a sad damn case. It's sad when they don't want a soeck of brown in them; they want to look like Rihanna, who'se BLEACHED, Michael, etc.

What people need to understand is that they will never look as natural as a natural lighter skinned person if you bleach to that complexion from some dark skin color. Be more realistic and talk to a councilor.

But for the normal bleachers, they just may want to fix a few pigmentation problems, not some overall 5shades lighter.

Hope that helped.
    nikkicute Posts: 733, Reputation: 35

Apr 22, 2010, 11:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CinnamonComplexion View Post
    I am 26yrs old, American, and African American. I love my darker skin. I am of a peanut butter brown. I have discoloration as many darker people do and that is my whole pointof getting these products to focus on the darker parts and lighten them up.
    Why does everyone want to lighten up and not darken? Well, people are brainwashed. This is a white world ruled by the white society that has embedded in our people that whiter is beter or at least, anything closer. So people feel a benefit when they're lighter as if they look better, are better, etc... Not all, but some people. It's sad that this is what's created for my people. The brainwashing is sad and also a sign of weakness.
    Bleaching cream usually work better for already-light skin tones. Usually darker people, and especially really dark people have to accept who they are and how they look.I just don't understand when a person is already more than medium brown and up, what is there to bleach, especially when they're black- actually, only when they're black. Now that's a sad damn case. It's sad when they don't want a soeck of brown in them; they wanna look like Rihanna, who'se BLEACHED, Michael, and etc. What people need to understand is that they will never look as natural as a natural lighter skinned person if you bleach to that complexion from some dark skin color. Be more realistic and talk to a councilor. But for the normal bleachers, they just may want to fix a few pigmentation problems, not some overall 5shades lighter.Hope that helped.
    You called people who lightened their skin brainwashed and then said this is a "white world"? Hmmm if anyone sounds brainwashed it's you! This is not a "white world":rolleyes: Who told you that? Whoever told you that lied!

What do you think of others who tan and want to darken their skin?
    Are they brainwashed as well? And most of those who do tan are white people, you know the same ones you claim rule the world! So what' their problem?

I also didn't understand why someone who was medium brown wanted to go lighter but everyone is different and what is light skinned to you is dark skin to them.

I've seen some pictures of people who looked perfectly natural with their lightening, if you do it the right way and take your time it can turn out real nice and you can go undetected.
    redlocks77 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2010, 11:17 PM

1) What are your general thoughts on skin lightening? Do you agree with it or do you think it is pointless/ridiculous?
    I don't agree it's pointless or ridiculous. People want to be more beautiful. It's just like changing hair color, or getting a tattoo or ear piercings. It's all about image and the image we want to project. There is nothing wrong with that. The problem is the lengths taken to achieve this is sometimes dangerous.

2) Have you ever lightened your skin before using creams, peels, etc? Would you ever consider doing it?
    Yes. I used Diana Stalder products. If you want to know more about them, click here

3) Have any of you tried skin lightening and found it to be successful? Have any of you had a bad reaction to it or some other horrific story to tell?
    Horror stories - see Michael Jackson. Oh recently I heard someone in Phnom Pehn died from using skin whitening cream.

Vanity. In some cultures, acceptance and to be admired. Like in India, women with fairer skin have better chances at finding a husband. Sometimes, skin is a status symbol. Having fairer skin meant you do not work outdoors daily under the heat of the sun.

5) Do you think skin lightening products should be banned or made illegal? Or do you think they are the same as Western countries selling tanning products?
    Tanning is just as dangerous. It is literally damaging your skin. I think certain products should be banned. Those containing dangerous ingredients like lead, hydroquinone, mercury, etc.

Apr 23, 2010, 05:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nikkicute View Post
    You called people who lightened their skin brainwashed and then said this is a "white world"? Hmmm if anyone sounds brainwashed it's you!! This is not a "white world":rolleyes: Who told you that? Whoever told you that lied!!

What do you think of others who tan and want to darken their skin?
    Are they brainwashed as well? And most of those who do tan are white people, you know the same ones you claim rule the world! So what' their problem?

I also didn't understand why someone who was medium brown wanted to go lighter but everyone is different and what is light skinned to you is dark skin to them.

I've seen some pictures of people who looked perfectly natural with their lightening, if you do it the right way and take your time it can turn out real nice and you can go undetected.
    Sweetie, I don't know what world you live in, but on Earth, it's populated with WHITES, as they dominate the working environment, media entertainment, and so on. That's what I mean by that. And yes, it ain't no coincidence that many darks want to lighten. It goes back far enough into slavery days and the WHITE MAN making the blacks not feel worthy, and especially when they were darker. All it did was follow us into these days... at least, followed most.

If you notice, the media spotlights on lighter skinned people and whites. They have two words to say about the darker. As far as white people wanting to tan, they'll never look black either way, so to me, it doesn't count for anything.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Apr 23, 2010, 07:18 AM

Stick to the topic, please.

Apr 23, 2010, 08:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen View Post
    Stick to the topic, please.
    If you don't mind my asking, who are you?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 23, 2010, 08:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CinnamonComplexion View Post
    If you don't mind my asking, who are you?
    Synnen is an AMHD Moderator tasked with looking after the Skin Lightening boards.

I suggest you read this sticky: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/skin-l...ma-466420.html
    Boricua1 Posts: 179, Reputation: 14

Apr 26, 2010, 04:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by natashaphilip View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm a student at the University of Leeds in the UK and I'm doing a project which involves making a documentary on a topical issue.

I've chosen to do mine on skin lightening and the lengths some people will go to in order to get lighter skin.

I'd appreciate it if you could all post your thoughts on this issue. I understand it's most popular amongst black and Asian people, but I'd love to hear all your thoughts, regardless of your race.

If you could answer some or all of the questions below, it would be great:

If you could give me any feedback on the issue, it would be much appreciated. I'd love to hear what you all think. Your answers will be put into my documentary project, which will only be seen by my lecturer.

If you could all also give me an indication of where you're from and your age, that would be great. I'd like to get a broad range of answers from people of different ages and from different countries/cultures.

If you have any other questions or want to send me your answers in private, please don't hesitate to e-mail me at EMAIL REMOVED.

Thanks a lot,
    Natasha
    Hi, it seems to be that a lot of people want to do projects presentations etc on skin lightening, but I just want to suggest a different spin on your presentation for the subject...

Your questions for research seem rather objective which is good... however I have never seem or heard presentations that are truly objective... This can be where you come in... just make sure you are keeping your own opinons unbiased in your pursuit of info...

And hopefully address some of the reasons people may lighten from a perspective that doesn't just refelct that the people are insecure or brainwashed or value whiteness because this is not always the case... sometimes skin lightening is just purely cosmetic for many, amd some people just like to change everything not because they don't like who or what they are but because they change things a lot like clothes, hair, styles, why not skin sometimes? Esp considering most products are not permanent results.

Also, it would be interesting I think to note that banning of skin lightening products makes them easier to produce and be sold on the black market where there is no regulation... banning something doesn't erradicate it from existence as many would hope all it does is create a business boom for criminals to extort people and exploit products and sell harmful chemicals for a quick buck.

By addressing skin lightening without a tongue in cheek approach or a negative implecation, helps it become addressed from a rational standpoint and clear useful assesments and critical analysis can be made. When it is addressed as something negative or a complex created by a larger social issue, this may bear truth but glosses over way too much... and makes the issue far too emotionally charged for people to then reach a point of making any progress or even clearer understanding.

BTW these are just suggestions... I do not at all hope to presume anything about how you plan to do your project but just adding some interesting possibilities... let us know how it turns out for you.
    natashaphilip Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2010, 05:40 AM

Thanks for all your input everyone. Your opinions are all greatly appreciated. I'm currently in the middle of presenting my research for my documentary treatment which will be handed in next week. You've all helped a great deal towards it!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does skin lightening methods work on fair skin? [ 24 Answers ]

Does skin lightening methods work on naturally fair skin?

Skin lightening creams for acne prone skin [ 8 Answers ]

I am 34 years old have been suffering from acne for the past 15 years. Earlier my acne marks used to go away easily but now my face is full of them and my skin has also become patchy. I am looking for a product which would help me get rid of pigmentation without causing breakouts.

Pale, Dull, and Dry Skin As a Result of Skin Lightening? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello Everyone, My name is linksys2000. I am new to the "Ask Me Help Desk" forum, and site. Thanks for all of the information and perspectives. Somehow, this wealth of information leads to better decisions and ultimately thoughtful choices. So thanks to all of you for promoting this site and...

Skin lightening for dark Afro skin/ max result [ 72 Answers ]

Hey, I've been reading the forums, it is so much info to absorb. Is their anyone who has had dark Afro- Amer or Afro- Carib and are know a fairer and more even complexion from using skin lighteners. If so can you lead me in a direction, I am willing to use any regime just not too expensive. Thanks...

Lightening my skin with monobenzone has messed my skin up [ 86 Answers ]

I know that a lot of you are using monobenzone or compteplating on using it. Well I'm hear to tell you that after 1yr. Of monobenzone use my skin became disfigured. My arms, face, legs, cheast . Is patch work of pink, brown, large patchess. And I've been going to dermatologist about it and they say...

View more questions Search