Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2010, 10:49 AM

Casein is good. My cousin is ranked the strongest woman in Ireland right now (she's a power lifter) and she swears by casein.

The only thing about it from your point of view is that it takes a long time to digest, so you feel fuller for longer. Bodybuilders tend to take it before bed, so they have protein throughout the night.

Bear in mind that it's almost impossible to be objective about your own body. You look in the mirror and focus on the flaws, not the overall package. Get an objective female friend to point out some other guys who have a similar shape to you and then see what you think.

I've got to say, I didn't see anything in your photo to make you feel shy about stripping off. More muscle is always good, but you are not skinny. And I go to my cousin's shows, so I'm used to looking at ripped guys!
    FloridaFisher Posts: 121, Reputation: 5

Apr 23, 2010, 11:29 AM

Thanks I appreciate the compliment, but like I said that pic is a year old by now and I just went through a break up so I've eating like a sandwich once every 3 days for a month lol.. It's pretty bad.. I need to pick up on this really soon..

Yeah I have read up on casein powder before and they say it's good to hit a whey pre and post workout and casein for bed.. or sometimes a whey for pre.. then a casein for post..

I'll try almost anything right now.. and the easier it is on the wallet the more likely I'll do it.. with the exception of the powders.. I'll dish the dough for them.. well worth it..

How do I find out what my calorie count needs to be?
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2010, 11:38 AM

You know an occasional sandwich is not going to cut it. Take your work home and eat it!

There are a lot of online calculators out there. I reckon most of them give too high an estimate of maintenance calories, since most people now commute to desk jobs, but they might be accurate in your case. As a starting point, think in terms of about 15 calories per pound of weight and adjust from there.

Don't forget cottage cheese has a lot of the benefits of casein, and is much cheaper per serving. Think in terms of getting a protein, a fat and a complex carb serving into every meal.

As you are bulking rather than cutting, you don't have to shell out for lean versions of everything. Eat the whole egg, not just the white, and use real olive oil to make your salad dressings.

Apr 23, 2010, 11:48 AM

Great ideas.. I dig them.. except the cottage cheese.. lol.. man that stuff weirds me out.. Not even sure if it's really cheese lol.. Got access to that stuff as well since we can make our own heavy cream, butter, cheese, whey, etc.. Lol..

How's chili sound?

I know, but she really broke my heart and f'd my head up.. Eating was the last thing on my mind. Lol.. Still kind of is, but the hunger is starting to pick up finally. Lol..

What, other then protein and creatine shakes, should I drink? Anything? Something in particular?
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2010, 01:24 PM

Chili is good.

Apart from water, a good drink for you would be milk. Green tea is excellent, and a lot of people swear by a cup of black coffee shortly before a workout.

If you put some cottage cheese into a blender with a little liquid (maybe some milk and a spoonful of honey), and blend it till it's smooth, it's like dessert. Totally different taste and texture. But if you really hate it, don't bother.

Apr 23, 2010, 04:06 PM

I drink water, milk (not too often by itself anymore due to the excess crap it leaves in your throat), green tea, black tea, sometimes even a cup of my son's juice lol.. yeah.. I still juice from a toddler..

I've actually heard that it's not just energy @ black coffee.. Black hot coffee is GREAT for asthma and reducing symptoms. Studies show if you drink a few small cups of it before running a race for example it reduces a significant portion of symptoms and even can stave off an attack all together. Unfortunately, that's gross. Lol.. I've done it for the sake of breathing once a year or so.. It does make the world of difference to chug down a nasty cup here on a bad morning..

EWWWW lol.. sorry, I'm not sure I can do it.. I know what it's going to be still lol.

How's a milkshake for desert every night for a little extra calories and fat?
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2010, 10:20 AM

Make a whey milkshake. Throw in a scoop of whey with your fruit/milk/ice and you will have a real bodybuilding dessert.

Apr 25, 2010, 06:35 AM

I used to do the whey milkshake years ago lol.. I really should start them again.. Good idea.. I'll get the stuff this week or next week for it..

I lost 20lbs over this whole break up thing.. Yesterday was the first day I had really eaten anything real in like 5 weeks.. Miss her pretty good.. I want to do this for myself, but would be lying if I didn't say appealing to her once again meant a lot to me..

Been downing some eggs, pastas, meats like crazy lol.. I got to buy a vehicle and stuff with this week's pay.. but hopefully I can stash some cash to buy all the goodies to get myself back up to at least where I was..

Other then shrugs and push ups, what can I do to hide my clavicles where they show on my shoulders? That's always been one of the things that I hate about my body.. Another spot that really bothers me is my hip bones.. When having sex my ex used to say when I was on top they dug in a little and hurt.. That was a huge confidence killer.. What can I do to pad them a little so to speak?

Where I want to get to..
    http://www.sixpacknow.com/ryan_reynolds_workout.html
    http://www.sixpacknow.com/reynolds4.jpg
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2010, 09:07 AM

Just be realistic. He has good genetics to start with, and probably treated getting that body as a full time job for a long time. Aim to be the best possible version of you, not someone else.

Bench press and press-ups are great chest builders. Military press, lateral raise, reverse fly are all great for building strong shoulders. Don't neglect your back either. The ultimate back builder are deadlifts. Get someone knowledgeable to check your form, and then lift heavy. Also pull-ups.

Protruding hips bones are partly genetic, but more likely the result of just not eating enough.

Take some naked photographs of yourself every couple of weeks, so you can monitor your progress.

Apr 25, 2010, 11:23 AM

I know I can't BE him.. It's just a goal sort of thing.. I'll have to customize my workout and eating habits based on how they effect me..

I'm cutting cardio out completely I think.. Unless I can benefit from it in the breathing department..

I'm down to do anything naked lol.. got some taken now..

Yeah, I miss the back and chest I used to have.. Always got complimented by girls for them lol..

Which body parts do woman really take into liking when they're checking out a fit guy? And no... not THAT body part.. lol..
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2010, 01:42 PM

Actually, not that body part. By the time we get to see that, we're committed.

Everyone has her favourite part to look at. I tend to look at arms, and legs if they are on display. And butt. And overall shape. I would look at abs if I could, but in Ireland, they are always covered up, we don't get the weather.

Okay, now I feel like a total perv. I like looking at guys who are in shape, but there's a lot of different shapes that work.

Apr 25, 2010, 03:22 PM

Lol @ committed.. if only that were true.. maybe she'd of stayed..

Lol @ the weather.. sorry to hear that : p

Lol.. don't feel like a perv.. I asked and you've been extremely helpful.. I thank you..

Butt? Really? They look at butts too? I'm so not shaving my legs.. Just ain't happening..

Trying to figure out my shape and build.. Not sure what the result will be..

How abut a tan.. When's too much to a girl? I know tans help bring out the lines and cuts in your muscles to better show them off.. so I plan to tan.
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2010, 01:23 AM

Definitely butts. Nothing fills out a pair of jeans like a good butt. By the way, jeans should fit properly and look well worn.

Personally, I like a bit of body hair. I can cope with naturally smooth, but don't like shaved. Trying way too hard!

Tan is good, as long as it looks natural. Fake or sunbed tan is a turn off.

Get an objective friend to point out someone with a similar shape to you. It's next to impossible to judge your own shape.

May 3, 2010, 04:10 PM

lol.. I'm not sure I have a butt..

I don't do fake tans nor do I shave anything out of the ordinary lol..

I don't have any objective friends around here.. but I did talk to my friend who lives an hour away. She works at a vanity fair store so maybe I can get her opinion lol.. I need someone's unbiased opinion anyhow..

Now that my picky ex is no longer here I'm trying to discover new foods and drinks. I've discovered black eyed peas and rice, chili, chicken patties for lunch, and the holy grail of them all.. I've brought back "THE MILKSHAKE". Any good recipes or ideas? I know basic foods.. just not really rounding out meals to be nutritional in more then one thing at a time(ie- protein meals, carb meals, vitamin meals, etc.. Nothing balanced yet)..

Question about something random.. I have naturally oily skin and I break out if I don't wash it at least 3 times a day. I mainly use products containing salicylic acid.. I would like to stop glimmering (lol) and breaking out ffs.. What can I do? Also, I have scarring on my face from scratching in my sleep in the past.. How can I get rid of these scars without closing pores?
    Ultra Member

May 4, 2010, 05:19 AM

Hmm, I know a lot more about muscles than skin. I did hear a few bodybuilders telling me that increasing the amount of Omega 3 oil in their diet (fish oil) improved skin all round. Most people are not getting anything like enough fish or fish oil, so might be useful.

May 4, 2010, 09:10 AM

Thanks for the idea! I have totally forgot about Omega 3's.. I used to do lots of saltwater fishing and never had to worry about taking supplements, but now that I'm not able to fish often anymore I probably should replace the insufficiency and imbalance...

Muscle wise.

What can I do to put on a bit of size by the 4th of July? I know I know.. It's not much time and I shouldn't rush it for health reasons, but I'm going to see some friends I haven't seen in years and now that I'm single I want to go up there with my old body and looks back.. hence all the questions and impatience lol.. Sorry!

I'm going to start bulking up on everything. When I eat I pretty well eat the whole thing of whatever it is regardless of portion and serving sizes lol.. I ate half a gallon of ice cream last night lol..

Got to try to gain a little then cut back on carbs and stuff at night toward the end to bring out whatever I have that resembles a 6-pack by then lol..

I'm going to have to spring on whey, casein, creatine, multi vitamins, and probably a N.O. supplement.. I've got a lot of work to do in a little amount of time.. Any other recommendations?

What else will cause my body quick results? I hear working out with water then cutting back will cause you to hold water weight. Not sure if this is what I want because it's not weight I want to gain.. it's size and so forth.
    Ultra Member

May 4, 2010, 10:21 AM

Forget the messing with water, most people hold much less water than they think, and cutting back on water will really affect your health and workout.

Cut out the carbs for a week beforehand, then eat lots of them again just before you meet your friends while continuing to lift. That way, your muscles will be swollen with glycogen and really popping. This is how the fitness models prepare for photos shoots.

Lift heavy. If you have a spotter, lift to failure at least once a workout (no point in going this more often, you risk CNS overload) and make it a big lift (squat, bench or dead). This triggers huge amounts of GH and testosterone.

Eat plenty of calories, and make sure a good proportion are quality proteins. You can't bulk if you are not eating. Simple as that.

Whey after lifting is great, creatine is worthwhile, fish oil is essential. I don't see any point in spending money on NO supplements, it gives you a pump but doesn't actually make your muscles grow any better. Casein is fine if you are trying to shovel in more calories, but real food is great.

May 5, 2010, 09:44 AM

Yeah.. rather then dumping water intake I'm actually going to up it.. I've been reading a 8oz glass of water per 9-12lbs of weight per day. Not sure I'll go that far, but I'll definitely up it.

Thanks for the carb info.. I never knew about that! Always nice to add another chunk of knowledge to your database lol..

I'm not sure what you meant. Are you saying one workout out of the week go to failure or one failure per workout of a certain exercise?

Yeah I made my chili last night to snack on.. Beans, Beef, Tomatoes, Bell Peppers! Now I can eat throughout the day instead of my usual 3 meals a day. Going to start pre-making things to keep in the fridge or whatever to grab as a snack to keep the nutrients flooded, but to do so at a steady pace so they're actually fully absorbed or close at least..

Yeah this weekend I'm going to grab more whey and creatine.. maybe the casein this week too- not sure yet. Fish oil, vitamins, and possibly NO sups won't be until another week or two.. Budget : /

The NO does cause a better blood flow and allows delivery of more nutrients and oxygen, bigger lifts, and therefore more muscle growth. You're pushing your body beyond what it normally can take due to reduced flow. I may just eat more foods rich in L-arginine.

Was wondering what you thought of this bucket-o-crap.. lol.. it's hella cheap for 10lbs of the stuff..
    ProLab N-Large 2 - IllPumpYouUp.com

Man, last night I did just my abs, core, and slightly my chest.. and WOW did it still take it's toll on my arms LOL.. I woke up without pain and still have only a slight amount, but man are they swollen (arms) LOL.

I put together a simple 3 day switch out and a day off..
    -Abs & Core
    -Arms & Upper Body
    -Legs & Lower Body
    -Saturdays off. (I don't work saturdays so it's a perfect day off)

I don't have a gym yet.. I do have a pulley set that I'm trying to get brought over where I live to use.. but it's not here yet.. I have a standard curl bar and like maybe 80 lbs of weight right now.

Not able to do a whole lot until I get a real set, but I'm keeping determined to do SOMETHING at least.. lol.. However, I'm not sure what I can do with my legs and lower body without really that much weight. Any ideas?

I know I never used to aim to work out my lower body.. EVER, but I remember the first time I went to Sears (lol) and jumped on a leg press machine, I loaded it up with every loose weight I could find and I could sit there and do them all day.. Quite literally.
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2010, 01:32 PM

Yeah, leg press is easy. I'm female, but I can do the whole deck of the leg press in my gym, and add extra weight as well. Squatting is a whole different ball game.

Could I suggest instead:
    - quads and hams, abs, shoulders.
    - back, biceps, traps
    - chest, triceps, calves, forearms.

Abs is a pretty small muscle group, it's a shame to waste a full day on them. Same with arms, they are visible, but really, they are small muscles compared with glutes, quads, hams, lats etc.

Your 10lb bucket is basically whey and a lot of sugar. But it does have a lot of calories, which is something you need, so it's up to you.

Try overhead squats, holding a bar or dumbbells right over your head. Much harder than you'd think (and great for core too). Or one legged squats. Walking lunges carrying anything heavy. Good mornings, again with anything heavy.

May 9, 2010, 11:49 PM

Wow.. lol.. How often do you work out? I bet you could beat me up at this point.. lol.. : /

The only problem I have with working so many this is that I work a labor type job.. It's bad enough having my abs out that day- to throw anything else out for the day would probably cost me my job lol.. Kind of stuck with the basics, unfortunately..

Hmm I'll think on it.. That's a decent price for 10 pounds of the stuff haha.. I'd only throw in a scoop or two a day for a little extra edge..

I'm scared @ lower body workouts lol.. I'll do them though..

I have a really weird question here.. My two top abs are TINY.. I mean I don't have the biggest abs ever, but these tops two are like only a couple inches by a couple inches.. if that.. What in the hell is going on? Lol.. They never get bigger.. It looks like someone shrank them.. It's not appealing to me at all.. lol..

I lied.. more questions lol..
    How do I fix these: Sunken Chest Look & Protruding Clavicles On Shoulders.

Thanks again for all your help, Eileen! : )

I need to buy a camera so I can start doing pictures again..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet continues to fill but it does not fill [ 4 Answers ]

My toilet continues to fill and fill but it never does get filled. I googled this and found a lot of help and have searched this forum but I couldn't find an answer. - I noticed a leak at the top of the tower which has the rod then the ball thing attached to it, I tightened those screws at the...

How to fill IRS for a dual-status working abroad [ 5 Answers ]

I'm a new resident of the US (Green card). I've been in the US about one month last year but, because of the crisis I decided to retun to my work in my born country. My questions are : What date do I take for the beginning of my resident status is it when I entered the US or when my green card...

Bathtub Dap-out -- to fill or not to fill in? [ 5 Answers ]

Here is my situation: I have a house on a concrete slab that unfortunately sits right on top of an underground spring (we have several springs on the property). This was discovered by finding 4-6 inches of water throughout the entire finished basement (and destroying everything down there) right...

What form should I fill out while I am working under OPT? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I came to USA for my Master degree in 2003 Aug as a F-1 student. Now, I am working in NJ under OPT. Any body can kindly tell what form I should fill out regard tax? Following is the information about me. - came to USA for study on 2003 Aug (F1 visa) - single - no depedant - no mortgage...

View more questions Search