Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AnnieEastCoast Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2010, 02:18 AM
    Hello, I am so glad to have found this most informative plumbing forum.

I am attempting to replace the insides of our 23-year-old toilet. Our other 2 toilets have newer components, so I thought I'd tackle replacing this myself. I've seen multiple online videos on how to repair a toilet. That, for me, seems to be the easy part.

Right now, I'm not even able to remove the old components because the plastic locknut under the tank (that connects the fill valve) is impossible to loosen.

Just so you know, the water supply line to the toilet is metal and rigid. The other two toilets have flexible toilet supply lines. I probably should replace the rigid line with a flexible one? (Yikes!)

I would like to post pictures of my "project", but don't know how to do that. Thanks for any help.

Annie

Hi... there doesn't seem to be an "edit" feature. Above when I wrote that it's easy replacing toilet components, I meant to put a smiley face after it. I've never tackled anything like this before, so that "easy" comment was tongue-in-cheek. :)
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 21, 2010, 05:22 AM
    Hi Annie...

Take a hacksaw blade, wrap a cloth around it and then cut that plastic nut off by cutting into the plastic so you make a line through the entire nut. After you have a good deep cut into the nut you can take a flat screwdriver and set it into the cut and twist it to crack the nut and finally remove the fill valve.

You could also use a mini hack saw... see image.

Try that and let us know how you do... OK?

Mark
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 21, 2010, 05:51 AM

I would like to post pictures of my "project", but don't know how to do that
    How do I add pictures and other file types to my post?
    A. "Attach" files (including pictures) from your computer. This method puts the attached file below the text of the post.
    Click on an Ask or Answer button to ask or answer a question
    Compose your question or answer in the window.
    Under the window where you composed your question or answer is a section called Additional Options.
    Click on the Manage Attachments button: a pop-up dialog will open. NOTE: The Manage Attachments dialog lists the maximum sizes of the various types of files that may be attached.
    Click the Browse button to navigate to the image on your computer and double click the file on your computer: this will return you to the dialog window.
    Click the Upload button.
    Click the link to close the dialog window OR repeat numbers 5 & 6 to attach another image.
    B. "Embed" image(s) from the internet. This method inserts an image wherever you wish within the text of your post.
    Click the Insert Image icon above the posting window: A pop-up asking for the URL will open.
    Enter the URL of the image in the field then click the OK button.

How do I add pictures and other file types to my post?
    A. "Attach" files (including pictures) from your computer. This method puts the attached file below the text of the post.
    Click on an Ask or Answer button to ask or answer a question
    Compose your question or answer in the window.
    Under the window where you composed your question or answer is a section called Additional Options.
    Click on the Manage Attachments button: a pop-up dialog will open. NOTE: The Manage Attachments dialog lists the maximum sizes of the various types of files that may be attached.
    Click the Browse button to navigate to the image on your computer and double click the file on your computer: this will return you to the dialog window.
    Click the Upload button.
    Click the link to close the dialog window OR repeat numbers 5 & 6 to attach another image.
    B. "Embed" image(s) from the internet. This method inserts an image wherever you wish within the text of your post.
    Click the Insert Image icon above the posting window: A pop-up asking for the URL will open.
    Enter the URL of the image in the field then click the OK button.

Apr 21, 2010, 08:30 AM
    Hello Mark,

Thank you for your detailed assistance. I've posted 3 pictures of my "project".

One picture shows the inside of the old toilet.

The second picture shows the plastic coupling (successfully removed) sitting above the nut that connects the supply line.

The third picture shows the stuck locknut at the tank.

Just another issue I have. I unscrewed that supply line nut, and it started leaking, so I retightened it. (Yikes!) Do I have to shut off the entire water to the house in order to replace the supply line?

Thanks again.

Annie
    Attached Images

Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 21, 2010, 05:17 PM
    Hi Annie:

That is plastic on plastic so it should go pretty easy with a little info... ;)

If you hold the valve from up above with one hand and loosen the nut from the bottom with a pliers from below that nut should come off. If that doesn't work, hold the nut on the bottom with your pliers and then use another pair of pliers to spin the valve counterclockwise from the top and loosen the valve... not the nut.

If that fails to work then you will need to cut a line across the plastic nut and crack the nut as described at earlier post.

Let us know if that made sense... O.K?

Mark
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2010, 05:50 PM

I hope your stop (valve) is holding.

As everyone said, plastic should easily come apart if you hold the other side, otherwise you have to cut and that's easy too.

Even a hot knife can work to cut off the nut.

Apr 22, 2010, 11:57 AM

Thank you so much, everyone. Tomorrow I'm going to get a mini hacksaw to tackle this issue and get this toilet working. I'll post again when I'll done.

Thank you again so much.

Well, thankfully, I didn't need a hacksaw.

The fill valve locknut was very snug, but with your help, my determination, and my trusty wrench, I got it out. Yeah! BUT, now I don't have the right tool size for the flapper locknut (under the tank).

I wish the Fluidmaster instructions advised the size of tools instead of just what tools needed. I think I need a large-size Channellock for this locknut. I can rent one instead of buying one. On the other hand, since I'm such an eager DIYer, I might just buy one to repair the other toilets, as needed. :)

Annie
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2010, 05:48 PM

Hello Annie,

Yes it is a good idea to buy a Channel lock you always need one, also I would suggest to buy a fluid master fill will and buy a flex supply line get rid of this rigid line, good luck.

John

Apr 24, 2010, 06:00 PM

Thanks John. I actually bought the FluidMaster Complete Toilet Repair Kit, as this toilet's insides (if you've seen the pictures above), are VERY old.

I also bought a Fluidmaster flexible toilet supply line (see below), but I wonder if I bought one that's too long. The existing rigid line is very short. Also, the existing metal nut is very small, and the one on the Fluidmaster is huge. The FluidMaster instructions say "one size fits all", so will it fit?

Thanks again.
    Attached Images

Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 24, 2010, 06:13 PM
    Hi Annie:

Yup! An extra large pair of pliers or wrench will usually remove the large nut at the flush valve... usually... ;) If the nut is plastic you can always cut it off much like we suggested with the nut on the fill valve.

The toilet riser is the incorrect size. Did the kit come with metal adapters to reduce the size of the flexible tube? Otherwise, you'll need to order a 7/8" toilet supply nut x 3/8" compression x 12" toilet riser here. Best case is to take the old solid tube with you.

Back to you...

Mark
    Attached Images

Apr 24, 2010, 06:35 PM

Thanks, Mark. I was at Lowe's with my little kids on Friday, telling them that mommy has to shop for things to fix the toilet, so I picked the Fluidmaster "one size fits all", since it said,"if you don't know what size you need, buy this Fluidmaster one", so I did. Now, I realize it's not a "one size fits all".

I don't think I'll go the hacksaw route to remove the flush valve nut. I'll buy a Channellock. I love tools, and I want to teach my kids that mommies can fix toilets too. They love helping me, sort of . :)

I'll report back.
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2010, 07:17 PM

You need a 12" by 3/8" supply line the one you have would not work, see the attach link and will show you how to install a toilet supply line, good luck.

John

YouTube - Keeney Manufacturing Toilet Supply Line Installation Tutorial

Apr 24, 2010, 07:48 PM

Thanks John and Mark.

I'm learning so much about toilet repair. Thanks for your help.

Would this size toilet supply line work?

Shop Watts 3/8" x 9" Flexible Braided PVC Toilet Supply Line at Lowes.com

Lowe's doesn't always give proper descriptions on their website.

So when you say 3/8", is that the metal nut size, and the larger number (7/8") is for the plastic coupling size (at the tank end)?
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2010, 10:39 PM

When someone says "channellocks", I think of this tool: GL6 - 6 inch GRIPLOCK® Tongue and Groove Plier @ Channellock The slip joint pair of pliers

That and a pair of adjustible wrenches should be #1 on the list for plumbing.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 25, 2010, 04:15 AM
    Annie:

The 3/8" compression x 9" long toilet supply looks like it will work out well for you as the 12" one looked too long...just be sure that the end opposite the toilet nut is 3/8" compression.

In terms of pliers/channel locks, be sure to purchase the EXTRA LARGE PAIR of pliers (16")...a small (8") or regular size (12") plier won't work on the flush valve nut... too small. Purchase the extra large pair or you'll be using that hacksaw blade after all... ;)

Finally, they also make a SPUD WRENCH for this application, but you'll find only a couple applications for the tool so I recommend you stick with the extra large pair of pliers.

Good luck!

Mark

Apr 25, 2010, 04:32 PM

So Mark, I am returning the 16" Channellocks because they are way toooooo heavy and awkward for me to use. :(

I tried to remove the super large plastic flash valve locknut from the tank. I put WD-40 on it, and I got it turning with both hands on the Channellock, but I need one hand on the inside of the toilet, and another on this massive tool ... so it's not gonna work.

Is there an adjustable wrench with a large capacity I could use? 3" or more?

I think I have no choice but to go the hacksaw route, which I think will be easier. I am ever so close to finishing this toilet job. :mad:

Any thoughts on a good hacksaw? I don't want a cheap one. It'll only get me frustrated. I saw, on Amazon, very good reviews for a DeWalt 12" hacksaw, which our local Lowe's doesn't carry.

Thanks.
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2010, 04:51 PM

I thought I saw a pair of vise grips in your collection. If you use them on the portion sticking up in the inside of the tank, they will hit the side of the tank and prevent it from turning.

Now, you canuse both hands on the channel locks. Remember to adjust the channel locks, so it really should only require one hand on them.

Band wrenches, chain wrenches and pipe wrenches are just plain annoying to use.
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2010, 05:32 PM

Hi Annie,

As mark mentioned in his post #15 try if you can find spud wrenches it will work great for this job, see the images below, good luck.

John
    Attached Images

Apr 26, 2010, 02:27 AM

KISS - Yes, I own a vice grip, but I'm a mommy DIYer (aka, do everything in the house myself) so I've never used it efficiently. I'm afraid that I might crack the inside of the tank using this method, then I'll have no choice but to buy a new tank! Also, I just don't like the 16" massive 460 Channellocks. Not sure why I even bought it. :D

John - can the spud wrench be used with one hand? I own a 10" crescent wrench. Is it about that size/weight? I found some for $8.00 on the internet.

Thanks.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 26, 2010, 04:12 AM
    Hi Annie...

Sorry about the size of those channellock pliers, but it's the only plier large enough to actually bite down on the nut and actually loosen it.

Since that didn't turn out so well, try the spud wrench me and Afaroo mentioned... only problem is that with some of the newer toilets, that spud wrench won't work... ;) Frustrating.. huh?

The other option of a hacksaw blade wrapped in a rag still stands and all you would need to do is to score a couple cuts across the plastic nut and then snap the old nut off.

Keep us posted!

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pipes noisy after replacing fill valve [ 1 Answers ]

Had new fluidmaster fill valve put in to fix a leaky toilet, and now there's a loud banging noise in the pipes (that was never there before) and not only after the toilet is flushed, it's pretty much intermittent throughout the day. Can't sleep at night... Help!

Unable to remove bad smell from toilet [ 2 Answers ]

Hi - I have a new home (2yrs old) and no matter how much I clean the master toilet it always has a bad smell. My spare bath doesn't have the same problem and it gets cleaned less. I've even tried an 'industrial' type cleaner from Lowe's, but after a few days the smell returned. I also notice...

Fill valve for toilet [ 3 Answers ]

I replaced the fill valve and flapper in toilet, but when I turned on the Water, it does not fill up the tank quickly. There is water through the Tube, but it jut "trickles" into the tank!

Pressure from toilet valve will not fill toilet tank [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently had a soft water installation put in. The shut off valve is conveniently close to the garage where the clean water tank was installed. Anyhow after the installation was completed pressure worked great in every room except the master bathroom toilet. The dual sink, the shower, and...

Toilet fill valve [ 3 Answers ]

I replaced the fill valve in my toilet and the water will not fill up in the tank. When I disconnect the pipe between the shut off and tank, I can turn the water "on" and nothing happens. The sink and shower both work but the water won't go to the toilet. What can I do to fix this problem?

View more questions Search