Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AnnieEastCoast Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2010, 04:31 AM

Hi Mark, yup, that 16" Channellock is too big and too heavy for little person (me). :p

My husband is not a handyman at all, so he knows nothing about tools, just me. When he asks for a screwdriver, he says the "normal" one. Huh? I ask, "Phillips, Robertson, flat"? :D

I think I can file out the plastic end of the flush valve and that huge locknut. I think that's much easier than a hacksaw (tad scary!). :eek:

I turned enough of the locknut with the Channellock that I can actually stick a thin screwdriver into the toilet between the locknut and the tank, so I'm very, very, very, VERY close to getting this confounded thing off. :D

I will keep you posted.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 26, 2010, 05:44 AM
    Hi Annie...

Filing that plastic will not be easier than sliding a hacksaw blade in between the nut and the tank and just cutting off the flush valve... done from underneath the tank. This whole setup is plastic... very easy to cut.

Otherwise, I would recommend that you have your husband hold the flush valve while you unscrew the nut with the large pliers... make short work of this and be done with it.

Up to you, of course!

Mark
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Apr 26, 2010, 06:14 AM

Suggestion

Purchase a PVC wire saw in the plumbing department. It is just a length of stranded wire with a plastic loop for finger holds. Should be just right for you and cutting the flush valve off. Only a few dollars.

See this video where a length of nylon cord is used in the same way.

Apr 26, 2010, 10:49 AM

Mark and h kstroud, guess what?? I GOT IT OUT.

I was very determined to remove this plastic locknut that I went to a store that had a sale on tools. They didn't have files or hacksaws, but I'm creative, so I bought sander discs: course 36 Grit 7 inch discs for heavy removal of wood, metal, plastic, etc.

And it worked. Took about an hour of heavy filing (sanding?), and it's out! See second picture. :D

Oh, and my husband is too condescending towards me fixing the toilet, because he and his mother think women should only be doing laundry and cooking and taking care of kids! He will not help at all. :)

That's why I want this thing done by myself.

Now, the next challenge is installing the new Fluidmaster components. I need to check online videos, since the paper instructions are practically useless for a first-time toilet-fixer-upper person.

Oh, and I think I'll need a new spud wrench to tighten the new flush valve locknut.

I'll keep you posted. Getting closer...
    Attached Images

Apr 26, 2010, 12:07 PM

CONGRATULATIONS!!

Proud of you. Disagree with Hubby. You do anything you want to. You may or may not have the experience and some times you may not have the physical strength but you can still do anything. May just have to think more.

Makes me think of a "customer" of mine showing me her plumbing under her kitchen sink. She had a problem and hubby didn't know how to fix it. She went to the store and got some pipe and fittings, it went every where, but it worked.

Yes, you will probably have to have the spud wrench to get the fill valve back on. They are not expensive. When you are through, send Hubby the bill.

And don't let him use the toilet.

Apr 26, 2010, 01:23 PM

Thank you, Harold.

I was so eager to get this toilet working, and, I goofed. :rolleyes:

Yup, I forgot to read the tiny instructions about the flush valve installation, that said something about cutting it to proper height. Sigh!

I already had it bolted, and was testing the height of the fill valve installation when I realized my mistake. Fluidmaster really needs to improve on their instructions.

So, I guess I'll try the nylon thread method, since I don't want to remove the newly bolted flush valve.

This bathroom belongs to the kids, so my husband isn't allowed to use it. That's why I'm not worried about how much time it's taking to get it fixed.

I'm almost there... tomorrow I'll go shopping, as I'm doing my wifely chores of getting dinner ready right now. :D

Thanks to everyone so far.

Apr 26, 2010, 01:44 PM

Not a problem, I think I have the solution for you. Purchase a coping saw.

This is an inexpensive wood working saw for making scroll cuts in thin wood. Turn the blade side ways and you can get the saw in the tank to cut the overflow tube off with ease. Cut the overflow tube off a little below the height of the flush handle. That way, if something happens and the toilet tries to overflow, the water will go down the overflow tube and not out around the handle.

Just hold the top of the tube with one hand, put the coping saw blade along side where you want cut and saw away.
    Using the nylon cord will probably put too much pressure on the thin overflow pipe and you may break it off.

To see what the ladies can do, check out this posting on another web site.
    http://www.woodworking.org/InfoExcha...4078401e1af666
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 26, 2010, 04:58 PM
    Hi Annie:

Good for you! It seems that a determined soul will always prevail! You can use the coping saw that Harold posted or you could also use that mini hacksaw I mentioned earlier... either will work in cutting that flush valve down to size... ;)

When you do tighten the new flush valve into place be sure to tightrn it so it is snug, but not so tight that you crack the tank. Same holds true for the toilet tank bolts... snug them up so you have about a 1/4" play/rock in the tank when finished.

Good luck!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2010, 06:01 PM

{Pat on the back}

Removal is sometimes most of the battle.

Although I didn't recommend it earlier, but silicone grease on the threads, available in the plumbing section, would help removal in the future.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2010, 06:14 PM

I would like to add the link below just as info all the masters have given you excellent advices follow theirs instructions, good luck.

John

Replace The Toilet Fill Valve, Flush Valve Or Flapper | Plumbing Projects | Reader's Digest

Apr 27, 2010, 03:22 AM

Thank you again, KISS, Mark, John.

I have one more question as I move forward towards the completion of this project.

When I saw off the end of the overfill tube, there's going to be debris left in the tank. Also, I now realize, that there is still some debris left when I was filing off the flushvalve lock nut yesterday.

I don't own a wet/dry vac. Will the minor dust/debris cause a problem with my newly installed Fluidmaster components? Please tell me it won't. :D

Thanks again.
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2010, 04:30 AM

Use a sponge and clean it as much you can do, other wise it would not be a problem, congratulation you did a good job an appreciate your updates, Thanks.

John

Apr 27, 2010, 02:15 PM

Hi all my wonderful helpers.

I am oh soooo close to completion. :)

Mark, I finally bought a hacksaw, a mini one, and it worked very well in sawing off the top of the overfill tube, while in the tank. I also bought a spud wrench (a combination adjustable wrench) at Lowe's.

So, now here is my latest (and hopefully, final) dilemma with this toilet thing.

I installed the complete Fluidmaster toilet kit. The problem I'm having is with the fill valve.

I removed the top cap, as suggested in the instructions, put a cup over the assembly, and turned on the water to test for leaks, etc.

No leaks. Yeah! Water came up the fill valve like a gyser (sp?). So I let the tank fill up a bit, and tested the handle and flush valve. Both working very well. Phew!

I replaced the cap on the fill valve and locked it, per their instructions. Then I turned on the water to almost full. Nothing happened. Nothing.

Did I not put the cap back on properly? I'm sure it's a very simple fix, and I want to get this fixed tonight. (My husband came home early from work and is irritated that I'm still working on the bathroom! :rolleyes:)

Thanks for all your help.:)

Annie
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 27, 2010, 03:50 PM
    Hi Annie...

Take the cap off again, AFTER you shut the water off, reposition everything and then place everythiung back into place. Turn the water on again and that should do it. Be sure the washer sits into the valve correctly... pop back and let me know if issues continue and I'll direct you to a video on this. You'll finish tonight... :)

Mark

Apr 27, 2010, 04:01 PM

Hi Mark,

I've been looking for Fluidmaster fill valve videos online, and haven't found one yet.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I took off the cap and then tried to snap it back and nothing happened. I think maybe I'm rushing too much because I'm soooooo close to the finish line.

If you can send a link for a video, that would be great. The version of Fluidmaster I installed is the 404LG, complete kit. I guess all the components are the same in individual sets as well?

Thanks very, very, very much.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 27, 2010, 04:23 PM
    Hi Annie...

Check out John's link from earlier... has good info. Here:

Replace The Toilet Fill Valve, Flush Valve Or Flapper | Plumbing Projects | Reader's Digest

Most likely, the washer is the issue. Take the cap off and try again.

I can't seem to find the video I wanted to find, but I'll keep trying... keep me posted.

Back to you...

Apr 27, 2010, 04:47 PM

Thanks Mark. I'll re-check John's link. I know it has a lot of useful info for someone like me.

While I was searching online for Fluidmaster toilet fill installation videos, I found many home videos of people showing how well their new Fluidmaster fill valve flushes! :rolleyes:

But... I did find a most interesting video from One2Flush. I bought my Fluidmaster full repair kit over a year ago. The One2Flush website has complete installation videos of an old toilet (like ours). Their toilet repair system saves a lot of money in every flush. I'm almost tempted to buy the set for $29. The savings per flush is astounding. In their installation video, there was no tricky fill valve cap installation problems. :)

I'm still attempting to get this Fluidmaster working, but I'm very tempted to buy the One2Flush. Here is their link: One2Products - Save Water, Save Money | Home

I'll keep you posted on my final installation. Thanks.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 27, 2010, 04:49 PM
    OK...

I'd suggest removing the parts, purging the water through the valve again, and if water flows recap... should be all set. This is the easy part... I promise!

I'll check on the one2products, but you're almost done now!
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2010, 04:55 PM

Hi Annie,

I agree with mark you are almost done remove the cap check the seal for proper seating and try I am sure it will work please don't gave up your are doing an excellent job, good luck.

John

Apr 27, 2010, 05:04 PM

Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pipes noisy after replacing fill valve [ 1 Answers ]

Had new fluidmaster fill valve put in to fix a leaky toilet, and now there's a loud banging noise in the pipes (that was never there before) and not only after the toilet is flushed, it's pretty much intermittent throughout the day. Can't sleep at night... Help!

Unable to remove bad smell from toilet [ 2 Answers ]

Hi - I have a new home (2yrs old) and no matter how much I clean the master toilet it always has a bad smell. My spare bath doesn't have the same problem and it gets cleaned less. I've even tried an 'industrial' type cleaner from Lowe's, but after a few days the smell returned. I also notice...

Fill valve for toilet [ 3 Answers ]

I replaced the fill valve and flapper in toilet, but when I turned on the Water, it does not fill up the tank quickly. There is water through the Tube, but it jut "trickles" into the tank!

Pressure from toilet valve will not fill toilet tank [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently had a soft water installation put in. The shut off valve is conveniently close to the garage where the clean water tank was installed. Anyhow after the installation was completed pressure worked great in every room except the master bathroom toilet. The dual sink, the shower, and...

Toilet fill valve [ 3 Answers ]

I replaced the fill valve in my toilet and the water will not fill up in the tank. When I disconnect the pipe between the shut off and tank, I can turn the water "on" and nothing happens. The sink and shower both work but the water won't go to the toilet. What can I do to fix this problem?

View more questions Search