Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kittykat87 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2010, 06:59 PM
    My daughters father is dead and my soon to be husband wants to adopt her
    My daughters father is dead and died when I was 5 months pregnant so there is no way to do a dna to tell she is his and his name is not on the birth cirtificated and my soon to be husband would like to adopt her as his and I would like to know what I have to do
    admin_atf Posts: 17, Reputation: -2
    -

Apr 20, 2010, 07:35 PM

You marry this man stay married for 6 months to one year then seek to file for step parent adoption
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Apr 20, 2010, 09:57 PM

1. Get a lawyer
    2. Get married. Most states won't allow a stepparent adoption until you have been married a specific amount of time (usually a year).
    3. Establish paternity--you're going to HAVE to prove that the biological father isn't around to have his rights removed. That means you have to PROVE that the father of your child is actually the deceased man you are claiming it is. You can usually do so through family members.
    4. Go to court to file adoption papers.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 21, 2010, 01:09 PM

Yes paternity can be proved by DNA but by waiting t is a lot more difficult. Another thing is you should have put his name on the borthcertificate if you were sure he was the father. Also your child may have been entitled to SSI.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Don't know who the father is and my husband wants to adopt my baby [ 2 Answers ]

I had a one night stand at the beach, we were partying pretty hard. I have no clue who the guy was not even his first name. I am not proud of my behavior, but I did get a wonderful baby. My husband wants to adopt the baby. There is no way I can even begin to know who the real father is. Is there...

My husband wants to adopt my daughter her father not around! [ 6 Answers ]

My husband wants to adopt my daughter he has been with her ever since she was 13 months old and now almost 8 yrs old and her dad has'nt seen her since she was 12 months He pays child support only because it's court ordered but she don't know him and would probably be scared of him she don't know...

Dead Beat Father and Husband [ 1 Answers ]

How would I go about filing child abandoment on my husband, when he is still in the home, and refusing to leave, but also not taking care of his family the way he should?

Don't know father of son, can my husband still adopt? [ 5 Answers ]

My fiancé wants to adopt my son. I don't know who my sons biological father is. Do I need to fallow the same legalities as if I knew who the father was or can my fiancé adopt him with no problems? Where do I go from here?

Can my husband adopt my daughter if her father is not around? [ 13 Answers ]

I live with my husband and I have my daughter,which is not his biologically,but I also have a son that is his,so I was wondering if it is that he could adopt her without the father's consent,keeping in mind that her father is nowhere to be found.

View more questions Search