Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aerismommie21 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2010, 10:42 AM
    Does my child's father have any say if he isn't on her birth certificate?
    My child is 5months and she has my last name, and her dad isn't on her birth certificate. He wasn't around during my pregnancy and he decided not to be on her birth certificate. He would come around after she was born and for the past 4 1/2 months he was buying formula and diapers. But then out of nowhere he decided he didn't want to be around me or her and he stopped buying her stuff. But yet he tells me he is going to fight for full custody? Is that possible?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 20, 2010, 11:08 AM

Sure he can fight for full custody but he'll not get it unless you are an unfit mother and he proves it to a judge in court. He may get visitation, maybe even joint custody but your story will go a long way againist him in court. Are there more details you can tell us.
    positiveparent Posts: 1,136, Reputation: 291
    -

May 31, 2010, 10:34 AM

Unless his name appears on your child's B.C. he had no claim to her nor does he have any perental rights, he can try to get custody but its highly unlikely he will unless he can prove you to be an unfit mother. I don't think you need to worry he's probably just wanting to get at you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 31, 2010, 02:15 PM

Positive parent is not telling you the entire story,

First he will have to file in court for a DNA test to prove he is the father. After that while he can go for full custody, most likely he will go after joint custody which is very common among parents today, so yes he has a very good chance at that.

At the least he will get visits. A couple weekends a month that he takes the child, perhaps a night during the week or every other week also. And a few weeks at the summer, is almost a min they give if there is no threat from his with child.

So you will not stop him seeing and being part of the child's life.

And he owes you nothing, at this point, you have not filed for child support, so he has no legal obligation to pay you anything.
    So his not paying can not be used against him, since he does not owe it

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Huw do I change my child's last name on the birth certificate [ 2 Answers ]

I want to know how do I change my child's last name on his birth certificate or legally change it. I live in California the mother hased aggred for the change . She put her last name on the day of birth, certificate .so now we want to change it to my last name the child is 2 years old. I also want...

Child's birth certificate [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter is going on 3 years old and has the last name I had before married and now that I am married to her father I need to get her last name changed to his last name and her middle name is also miss spelled on the birth certificate and the fathers name is not on it either. Please help me to...

Wrong father on child's birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

My daughters birth certificate is incorrect. While stationed in the military at Fort Jackson S.C. I had my daughter. The wrong father is listed on her birth certificate. While living in South Carolina I was told that I needed a lawyer to fix the problem. I never had the money to correct the problem...

Fathers name on child's birth certificate [ 3 Answers ]

How can I get my name (father) on my child's birth certificate Please help me

Changing child's Name and adding Father to Birth Certificate- Texas [ 5 Answers ]

I am the father of a 3 year old son. My name was not put on the birth certificate. His mother has since died and I gained full custody through court. I had to submit a DNA to prove I was the father to get custody. My question is this, how can I get my name on his birth certificate and have his...

View more questions Search