Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mcneelyrv Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2010, 10:14 AM
    Compression fitting problem
    I had to replace the shutoff valve under my sink. So I removed the copper ferrule and nut and put on the new nut and ferrule. The new ferrule seems a little loose on the pipe and I can't seem to tighten the nut enough so it won't leak. Is there anything I can do?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 20, 2010, 11:17 AM

Chances are you could have left the old brass ferrule and nut on the stub and reused it. You must have cut off the old one because usually they can't be removed once tightened. Ferrules only come in certain sizes. Slide the ferrul further up the pipe, does it ever tighten? If so you may have deformed the pipe when cutting off the old. Compression fitting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    truck 41 Posts: 221, Reputation: 21

Apr 20, 2010, 10:22 PM

Ive used teflon in the past, as long as your sure that your getting a tight fit, wrap the teflon around the ferrule a few times, then tighten the nut onto the valve. Check for leak! Goodluck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Compression Fitting Leaking: [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, Tried to search, but didn't see an answer: I removed an old compression fitting from a 1/2" copper tube, and cut the tube using a tube cutter. It was a pretty old tube, so it had some crud on the outside. I sanded it down with some 100 grain sand paper and then tried to fit it with a...

Compression fitting adapters [ 1 Answers ]

Can compreesion fittings be used to adapt copper pipe to cpvc?

Compression fitting [ 1 Answers ]

My stand up drain for my washer comes to a Y at the top actually it has a fitting at the top I think whoever put it in uses it as a vent.but if I want to install a compression fitting at the top so my drain hose from the washer fits tight in it so it doesn't blow out water will I still need that Y...

Compression Fitting [ 28 Answers ]

I had a plumber do a rough-in for our new kitchen sink, including installation of the shut off valves, so that all I'd have to do was install the flexible hoses. Turns out, the sink we ended up with was deeper than we had anticipated AND we decided to go with a faucet that mounts on the side,...

Compression Fitting Assistance [ 1 Answers ]

Tom, Exactly how does the hose from the washing machine fit in to the compression fitting? I bought a compression fitting today but when I put the hose from the washing machine in to it, it's not tight. The supply house gave me 3 different rubber washers but none are tight. Am I doing something...

View more questions Search