Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    karenheim Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2010, 07:42 AM
    When I turn my faucets, water gushes out, then trickles. Help!
    When I turn any of my faucets on--hot or cold--in the kitchen, BR, tub, front yard spigot--water gushes out, then trickles. My house is 80+ years old. Please help! Thanks.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 20, 2010, 07:56 AM

City water or pump? What's happening is that you have a blockage In your pipes. Pressure builds up in the pipes and as soon as you open a faucet it bleeds off.
    What material are your pipes?
    Copper, plastic or galvanized?
    Back to you, Tom

Apr 20, 2010, 08:06 AM

Thanks for the prompt response, Tom. I have city water. The spigot in the front yard (which is having the same problem) is a few yards from the water meter in the side walk. Because the house is so old, I'm guessing I have copper pipes into the house with some galvanized in the house.
    truck 41 Posts: 221, Reputation: 21

Apr 20, 2010, 10:33 PM

Is there a main shutoff valve to the house, or at the meter? Perhaps a gatevalve, if so its possible that the gate may have broken off and has shut closed.

Apr 21, 2010, 05:31 AM

I had a plumber come by yesterday (he didn't charge me, which was nice). He said I need a new service line from the meter to my house--about 60' worth. Don't have the estimate yest. Thanks, truck & Tom, for your help.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 21, 2010, 06:31 AM

Thanks for the update, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Have to turn on two faucets to get hot water [ 5 Answers ]

Wehave a new two stage hot water heater electric. We have to turn on two sources to get hot water. As soon as you turn off one faucet, the water gets cooler in the other. We have a big jaccuzzi tub, hard to get enough hot water in it without also running the shower. Never had a two stage before......

Hot water trickles then normal [ 2 Answers ]

I have what is probably a simple plumbing question. Our hot water has started doing something odd. Single story home. Water heater in the kitchen. More often than not, when we turn the hot water on in the bath or the kitchen, it barely trickles. After turning if off and on a few times, it...

Hot water trickles while cold water is normal [ 6 Answers ]

Hot water trickles (not enough pressure to force out of shower head) while cold water is normal from American Standard single handle bathtub faucet

View more questions Search