Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2010, 06:37 AM
    Dyspareunia - Day Surgery
    I know I should have asked this while I was at the Gyno today but I was just so relieved to have an actual diagnosis after 3 years I didn't think.

In a little while I am having day surgery to make an incision in my hymen.
    Apparently it must have been very stretchy before and never broke, and I have since had an infection which has caused scar tissue and made it harden causing pain.

My question is I am going to be under General Anesthetic, will I need both an IV and a Catheter?

I am quite frankly petrified of both, but more so having a catheter.

How bad are they both?
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Apr 20, 2010, 07:03 AM

I am so glad you finally got a diagnosis and are getting treatment. :)

The few times I have had IVs I found them to be more a nuisance than anything else. This is from someone who hates needles. Other than feeling like I was tethered to a pole and having to be careful about moving, I barely noticed it.

I don't really remember much about about the catheter I had after having my son (long story) except that it wasn't as uncomfortable as I would I have thought it would be. It feels weird, but there wasn't any pain. Just a bit of a pinching feeling when the nurse took it out.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 20, 2010, 07:10 AM
    I'm happy you finally got the diagnosis you were looking for!

As for the IV. Yes, you will need it. You see, general anesthesia tends to drop the blood pressure to dangerous lows sometimes. The IV fluids keep fluid in your system, thus it aids in keeping your blood pressure in a normal range. They can actually control your blood pressure with the IV fluids. So, yes, it is a necessity. You can ask if the anesthesiologist can start the IV. If so, he/she can numb the area first and you won't even feel it.

As for the catheter, I'm not sure if you will need it for this type of surgery, but you can request that the cath be inserted once you are asleep.
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2010, 07:28 AM

Thank you Cat and J, I was very relieved... can't believe so many doctors missed something like that! Proves second, third, forth opinions and so on are a good idea.

I have never been under anesthetic before so it's very scary.
    So the catheter only really hurts coming back out? And even then not much?

I figured the IV was a necessity but wasn't so sure about the catheter... I will definitely ask if it can be put in after I'm asleep!
    Marriage Expert

Apr 20, 2010, 09:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    I have never been under anesthetic before so it's very scary.
    So the catheter only really hurts coming back out? and even then not much?
    I was very 'out of it' when they put the catheter in. To be honest, I don't remember when they put it in. However, the next morning, when I was more lucid, it didn't really bother me.

Think of it this way: the fear of being put under, the IV and any possible catheter will be fleeting next to finally getting relief. :)
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2010, 10:08 AM

Apparently the procedure only takes anywhere from 3 to 20 minutes so won't be staying overnight.

I'm glad to hear it's not so bad, I was a bit (lot) worried about it.

And yes, the relief will be oh-so good :D
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 20, 2010, 10:18 AM
    Apparently the procedure only takes anywhere from 3 to 20 minutes so won't be staying overnight.

I'm glad to hear it's not so bad, I was a bit (lot) worried about it.

And yes, the relief will be oh-so good :D
    Yes, the preparation for this surgery takes longer than the actual surgery itself.

If I were to guess, since this surgery is so short, there is only a slight chance you will have a catheter.
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2010, 11:12 AM

Keep your fingers crossed for me that I won't!

I will keep you updated when I find out the date for the surgery... I take the forms in tomorrow, then go on a waiting list, then my OBGYN (is that the right term?) calls them and pushes my appointment forward and books me in for a specific day...
    Sounds confusing I know but she is a private doctor who was kind enough to do the surgery for me at the public hospital so it doesn't cost me anything.
    Marriage Expert

Apr 20, 2010, 11:35 AM
    Keep your fingers crossed for me that I wont!

I will keep you updated when I find out the date for the surgery... I take the forms in tomorrow, then go on a waiting list, then my OBGYN (is that the right term?) calls them and pushes my appointment forward and books me in for a specific day...
    Sounds confusing i know but she is a private doctor who was kind enough to do the surgery for me at the public hospital so it doesn't cost me anything.
    Fingers crossed and positive vibes sent that it won't be too long of a wait.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I had my period for 5 days stopped for a day light bleeding next day could I be pregnant? [ 2 Answers ]

I was 3 days late for my . An then when it started it was heavy during the day then very light or nothing at all at night and only lasted 5 days, on the sixth day I didn't have any bleeding at all, the next morning my boyfriend and I had normal, nothing different protected sex like we usually do...

Tubular breasts, surgery or no surgery? [ 28 Answers ]

Growing up I always hoped my weird looking breasts just hadn't fully developed but I'm now 21 and they're still the same. I didn't realise there was a medical name for my problem but recently I've been looking into surgery and was told I had tubular breasts. It's not so much the breast that I'm...

2003 philips PROJECTION TV worked one day then the next day it works but no picture? [ 1 Answers ]

My television was working fine one day, then we turned it on again it has power, but there is no screen or sound. Where you turn it on at on the front of the TV, the red flashes then you can't turn it off, you have to unplug it to cut it off.

Cosmetic Surgery thesis statement on Risks and benefits of Cosmetic Surgery [ 4 Answers ]

I need a thesis statement on Cosmetic Surgery, I will be during my essay on Risks and benefits. What are your thoughts?

Can a salary employee be punished by unwillingly work an extra day.6th day? [ 1 Answers ]

My employer punishes all salary employees by making them work an extra day a week with no warning... is this legal?

View more questions Search