Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    skweky Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2010, 05:35 PM
    Brake pedal goes to floor when engine is on.
    Brake pedal goes to floor when engine is on and don't when car is turned off. When off pedal is nice and stiff,, but when engine is turned on, NO pedal. It goes to the floor. Father in law thinks it maybe booster. Has anyone else had this problem.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2010, 05:38 PM

Your father-in-law is smart--check the brake booster.

Functional Test:

1. With engine off, depress brake pedal several times; then, depress the pedal hard and hold that pressure for 15 seconds. If the pedal sinks, the master cylinder, brake line, or brake caliper is bad.

2. Start engine with pedal depressed. If the pedal sinks slightly, the vacuum booster is working. If the pedal height does not vary, the booster or check valve is faulty.

Leak Test:

1. Depress the brake pedal with the engine running, then stop the engine. If the pedal height does not vary, while depressed for 30 seconds, the vacuum booster is fine. If the pedal rises, the booster is faulty.

2. With the engine off, depress the brake pedal several times using normal pressure. When the pedal is first depressed, it should be low. On consecutive applications, pedal height should gradually rise. If the pedal position does not vary, check the booster check valve.

Check Valve Test:

1. Disconnect brake booster vacuum hose at booster.

2. Start engine and let it idle. Vacuum should be available--if not, the check valve is not working correctly. Replace the check valve and retest.
    jbultman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2010, 09:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGreaseMonkey View Post
    Your father-in-law is smart--check the brake booster.

Functional Test:

1. With engine off, depress brake pedal several times; then, depress the pedal hard and hold that pressure for 15 seconds. If the pedal sinks, the master cylinder, brake line, or brake caliper is bad.

2. Start engine with pedal depressed. If the pedal sinks slightly, the vacuum booster is working. If the pedal height does not vary, the booster or check valve is faulty.

Leak Test:

1. Depress the brake pedal with the engine running, then stop the engine. If the pedal height does not vary, while depressed for 30 seconds, the vacuum booster is fine. If the pedal rises, the booster is faulty.

2. With the engine off, depress the brake pedal several times using normal pressure. When the pedal is first depressed, it should be low. On consecutive applications, pedal height should gradually rise. If the pedal position does not vary, check the booster check valve.

Check Valve Test:

1. Disconnect brake booster vacuum hose at booster.

2. Start engine and let it idle. Vacuum should be available--if not, the check valve is not working correctly. Replace the check valve and retest.
    All right so I know this is a tad old forum/question. However I am having the same prolem on my 2001 Jimmy. Did all the tests that you suggested and the booster is fine, any other ideas...
    Thanks in advance
    jbultman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2010, 09:47 AM

Oops, replaced the brakes (all 4) as well as the master cylinder... all with no prevail
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2010, 11:35 AM

If you didn't bench bleed the master cylinder first, there may be a lot of air in the system. You may also want to perform the brake booster tests below:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...ml#post2321080
    tk1991 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2010, 07:31 PM
    I have the sameproblem, but one up. The engine dies when I press the peddal. Just replaced the master and booster, 97 sentra. Bled the heck out of it, bech bled the master, booster tests out fine, so does the check valve. I'm serching for a vacuum leak next.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have a 93 caravan 3.3l and the abs and brake lights are on and the brake pedal stif [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1993 dodge caravan 3.3l with 113k and the brake and abs lights are on and the pedal is stiff. I just finished a brake job on it and the lights are still on and pedal is still stiff. How do I fix this problem

Why is my civic brake pedal soft? [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 94 civic si, in the last 2 months, I have replaced both rear wheel cylinders, the master cylinder, and front brake pads. The rotors, shoes and drums are in excellent shape. My problem is that I still have a soft brake pedal even after I bled the system 5 times. I bench bled the master...

1995 Honda Civic, brake pedal makes radio go off. [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter's 95 Civic, 225,000 miles, has pretty significant oil leak but runs great. Today she came home and said that each time she steps on the brake the radio goes off and the speedometer goes nuts, indicator swinging wildly on it. What on earth? :eek: I haven't checked fuses yet but would...

NO pedal when trying to brake [ 5 Answers ]

I have a '95 Nissan pickup 2 wheel drive 4 cylinder. About a month ago I started having problems braking (pedal went to floor). I have changed the master cylinder no luck, checked the lines and callipers no leaks, pads are still good front and back. I have about 230,000 miles on the truck and it...

View more questions Search