Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    plumbing12345 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2010, 12:18 PM
    Vanity countertop is above toilet
    Hi,

I have a toilet that is under the vanity countertop that is extended from the sink area countertop. When I open the top of the toilet, there isn't much space for me to do replace the ball valve or anything inside of the tank. I have running water problem and it is making loud noises even when it is not being flushed or after flusing. I was able to find some instructions here to diagnose the problem but don't know how I can manage with the limited space.

How would I replace the inside of the tank if there is something on top of the tank?

Thanks,
    Plumbing12345
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 19, 2010, 12:32 PM

How would I replace the inside of the tank if there is something on top of the tank?
    By feel like the rest of us when we run into a vanity top that isn't hinged. It can be done, I've done it many times. Most of the work can be done at the ballcock connection under the tank. Hope you have small hands because it sure helps. Good luck, Tom
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 19, 2010, 12:34 PM

That was a bad mistake to put a top over the toilet. Fill valves don't last forever and need periodic replacement or maintenance. Your choice now is to remove the counter or pull the toilet. You might also consider just pulling the tank but that will still be tricky when it comes to reinstalling.
    plumbing12345 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2010, 12:48 PM
    I have seen many places with toilet set up similar to this. Actually the home builder had it this way. I can't understand why they had this logic to have the toilet under the countertop. Thanks.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Apr 19, 2010, 02:29 PM

What you have is called a banjo vanity top. If you can get your hands in there you should be able to remove the fill valve. If you have a ballcock you will have to break up the ball to get it out. Replace with a Fluidmaster fill valve. You will need about three inches to get the new fill valve in. Set height of Fluidmaster before putting it in.

Other way is to remove the toilet entirely, not a particularly difficult job. Install new fill and flapper valves and reset the toilet with a new wax ring.
    truck 41 Posts: 221, Reputation: 21

Apr 19, 2010, 09:22 PM

If the tank bolts are in good condition you can loosen the bolts and lean the tank over a bit to allow you to reach in there to remove and install new parts. But its better to install a new tank to bowel kit to assure that there are no leaks when everything is back together again. Goodluck.---zeke---

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can you install a recessed toilet paper holder into the side of a bathroom vanity [ 2 Answers ]

I have a small bathroom with a 30 inch vanity which sets fairly close to the toilet. I would like to put a recessed paper holder into the side of the vanity instead of having one which sticks out. I realize they make these to recess into walls however I have seen them installed on vanities. ...

Single sink vanity to a double sink vanity [ 1 Answers ]

How do I convert the waste line from a single bowl sink to a double bowl sink vanity. chowdry

Single Vanity want to install double vanity top [ 1 Answers ]

I currently have a single 5ft long vanity and would like to know if it is possible to install a double sink vanity top to it. I would like to keep the cabinet portion but would like to add two sinks to the top. If so what do I need?

Basement Drain for shower/vanity/toilet [ 3 Answers ]

I am planning on finishing my basement for my daughter to occupy. I would like to install a small bathroom with shower. The fact that there is no existing floor drains makes me consider some type of pump system?

View more questions Search