Ask
    AmirHealthguru Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2010, 08:41 AM
    What is the name for this - symbol
    What is the name for this - symbol
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 19, 2010, 08:58 AM

Sometimes called a "dash mark" sometimes called a "hyphen," and sometimes called "minus sign." Typically when used as part of a word we call it a hyphen, but when used as punctuation in a sentence it is called a "dash." Thus in the following sentence:

"I was attacked by a man-eating shark - yet I lived to tell the tale."

There is a hyphen between "man" and "eating," thus forming a single word "man-eating," and a dash mark between "shark" and "yet" to indicate a pause in the sentence.

In mathematics we denote negative numbers with the minus sign:

1 - 2 = -1, is pronounced "one minus two equals negative one."

See: Hyphen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    AmirHealthguru Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2010, 09:10 AM

ebaines, just wanted to say thank for that fast answer! If I can ever be of some service to you, just let me know. I'm a Raw Living foodist - Natural Health & Wellness coach & consultant!
    Email: [email protected]

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Symbol name for >>>>>>> [ 3 Answers ]

Why does some email forwarded have this symbol before each sentence > and what is it called?

What does this symbol mean? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a pendant with Chinese or Japanese symbol, and I don't know what does it mean. Could you help me to find an answer? Thanks for your help

What does this symbol mean? [ 1 Answers ]

What does this symbol mean? It looks like a "30" with a "scimitar" and "star" above the "30." I was unable to paste this Arabic-appearing symbol to this message box. Thanks, page1

What symbol? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi! What symbol is this? ftp://rth.ath.cx/pub/koru/IMG_4826.JPG What does it represent? I bought the pendant from a little shop in Amsterdam 10 years ago, and if I remember correctly, the salesperson said it represents hope. I'd like to verify if that's correct. Thanks!

What is the name of this symbol? [ 3 Answers ]

~ what is the name of this symbol ~ .

View more questions Search