Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Brit50 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2010, 08:19 AM
    Bond brass to galvanized iron
    I wish to insert a gate valve (brass) into a length of galvanized iron
    (old style pipes) piping which carries hot water.
    I cannot get to the unions to unthread etc so I am forced into cutting the galvanized pipe and inserting a gate valve.

Any other solution requires a complete remodel.
    truck 41 Posts: 221, Reputation: 21

Apr 19, 2010, 09:56 PM
    You can get a threaded ballvalve and two six inch nipples, and two romac compression couplings and splice in the valve. http://romac.com see the galvenized coupling on this site. Go to products and klick on coupling, #702
    Brit50 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2010, 01:10 AM

Thanks Truck 41.
    Question.
    The Romac compression coupling will attach to a nipple(piece of pipe with thread on both ends I presume) and to the end of the cut galvanized pipe?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 20, 2010, 05:16 AM
    Hi Brit50:

Most likely you can get to some threaded fitting... may need to open a wall or similar, but you should be able to get to some threaded part so you can unscrew the parts and proceed with threaded fittings.

If that is truly impossible then you have the following options:

1) Maybe the Romac compression fitting Zeke mentioned (I am not familiar with these)

2) Cut into the water line and rethread the bare pipe ends using a wrench and a die set (can rent these at a tool rental place). Attach unions and proceed.

3) Install FORD fittings... used at water meters most of the time. These are compression type fit for brass or glavanized bald end pipes. Check them out at he following link:

Ford Meter Box Products Section A Page

A straight coupling would do the job. Better yet, a dielectric ford fitting would even be better... call a representative at the company on this.

4) Finally, you could also go over to your local plumbing supply store and chat with the counter guys... see what they recommend in your area. The ford fittings are most common.

As a plumber I am going to rethread the pipe ends... atually very easy once you are setup with the ratchet die... ;)

Back to you...

Mark
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to get a 2" galvanized steel pipe out of a stubborn cast iron fitting? [ 10 Answers ]

Here is my current situation: I am ripping out the old galvanized steel piping and will replace it with PVC, since I have the walls open for the bathroom remodel, which I am working on. I got everything already out with the exception of one little piece of galvanized steel pipe left. The...

Removal of brass plug from cast iron pipe. [ 5 Answers ]

How do I remove a 4 inch threaded brass plug from cast iron soil pipe. Obviously it is old and corroded.:mad:

Removing brass fittings from Cast Iron pipe [ 3 Answers ]

I need to snake the line under my bathroom sink. The problem is I have a dual sink setup. The vent pipe is also connected there so I have a cast iron cross fitting where the four meet (the two sink drains, the vent pipe, and the drain to the main line). I was attempting to remove one of the...

Removing Brass pipe from Cast Iron [ 8 Answers ]

http://www.msnusers.com/dddm86ru89coki506bhl3iuih3/Documents/Pictures/May162007drain%20004%2Ejpg Hi, I'm trying to remove a brass pipe from a cast iron floor drain in the basement. The pipe is part of a backwater floater ball unit. I removed the brass cleanout plug with a crescent wrench...

Corrosion concern between brass ball valve and galvanized steel pipe [ 2 Answers ]

Is it going to cause the corrosion when connecting a galvanized steel nipple to a brass ball valve?

View more questions Search