Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    manservant Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2010, 07:26 PM
    How to replace an old tub drain washer
    I'm finishing off a bathroom renovation - tub surround, new faucet, shower head etc. I wanted to replace the tub drain as well since the plug doesn't work and the cross piece is missing. I managed to get the old one off even though the "cross" was gone using a special tool. Now when I go to put in the new drain I realize the rubber washer that comes with it is supposed to go between the tub and the drain underneath. I can't get at the underside of the tub so how do you get the old washer out? I'm afraid to touch it in case it dislodges everything and I can't get at it. It wasn't leaking before - I just wanted to replace it to match with the new shower fixtures.
    truck 41 Posts: 221, Reputation: 21

Apr 18, 2010, 09:27 PM

If you haven't moved the rubber washer then just leave it in place and install the new strainer, as long as your sure there was no leak on the drain before.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replace Tub Drain Assembly? [ 2 Answers ]

I tracked down a tub leak coming from where the brass tub drain/overflow assembly connects with the ABS drain pipe (installed 30+ years ago). This will make the third similar repair I have done within the last 18 months. Is this typical for a 30+ year old house? Since I had to cut into the...

How do I replace the drain on my tub [ 0 Answers ]

The drain or flange on my tub is corroded. How can I replace it? Does any one know if I can just buy the flange and stopper and do it myself?

Replace shower tub drain [ 1 Answers ]

I can see my tub is chipped a bit on one side of the tub drain and water enters the ceiling from there only while taking shower, need to replace the drain and fill new plumber's puty in but do I have to wait a certain period so that plumber's putty will stay on and not come off cause right now I...

Replace tub drain assembly w/o dumbbell wrench [ 4 Answers ]

Please help. I need to replace my pop-up drain assembly in a bathtub in a house we just bought. I tried to do it using a dumbbell wrench but the cross section that the wrench grabs onto was corroded and broke off. Therefore, there's nothing left to grab. I read somewhere that you can do...

Covert washer drain to tub drain? [ 3 Answers ]

My downstairs bathroom used to also be the laundry room, but I have relocated the laundry room. I am looking at adding either a tub or a shower unit to the bathroom. Can I covert the old washer drain into a tub drain? I am trying to avoid digging up concrete.

View more questions Search