Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hartracing390fe Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2010, 07:11 PM
    Bathroom finish
    Do I need to cement board the entire floor and walls, or just water traffic areas like the toilet, tub , and shower?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 18, 2010, 07:30 PM

What is the final surgace going to be. Cement board over a tongue and groove plywood screwed and glued is a great sub for ceramic tile. Don't cut corners to save $30. Wet areas must be concrete board or something like Kerdi board.

Apr 20, 2010, 03:51 PM
    The finish will be ceramic tile half way up and then painted
    pattyg2 Posts: 480, Reputation: 27

Apr 24, 2010, 08:00 AM

Use cement board on the floor unless it's concrete and at least 6' up from drain in shower area.
    I used red guard on my bathroom concrete floor to serve as an isolation membrane.

Apr 25, 2010, 04:46 PM

I don't think you ever told us about your existing sub floor, what is it? You can't install cement board over dimensional lumber so tell us what is there.

Apr 27, 2010, 04:09 PM

I'm replacing the entire floor because of water damage, so the base will be 3/4" plywood flooring over 2x10 floor joist.

I know I need at least some kind of crete backer board, but there's all kinds of sub floor to put in between that and the tile.

At totem when looking at tile they had four different kinds of impact absorbing subfloor for tile.

Apr 27, 2010, 07:40 PM

Go with T&G ply glued and screwed. Your cement board is set in modified thinset and also screwed.

Apr 28, 2010, 03:47 PM

So go with tongue & groove first layer, cement board & thinset second layer, frame tub & shower, moisture barrier cement board & thinset shower & tub frames.

Green board the rest, lay tile and paint?

Apr 28, 2010, 05:31 PM

So go with tongue & groove first layer (glued and screwed), cement board & thinset second layer (and screwed)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Finish [ 5 Answers ]

Want to refinish a night table. It has a veneer coating which has cracked and chipped. I'd like to get it off. Any suggestions,

When is all of this going to finish? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi I had a long term relationship (3 years) which finished more than 2 months ago. And during this time I have been in No Contact at all. But still I'm hurt. Her memory hurts me again. I am trying to enjoy life but still I feel hurt.every day seems so difficult. My healing process is progressing...

It's not where you start, it's where you finish and I'm going to finish on top. [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone help me find the name of the song and lyrics to the song that has the line... "It's not where you start, it's where you finish and I'm going to finish on top." It came from a show, possibly Barnum? Thanks David

Can't Finish [ 11 Answers ]

For a while my boyfriend has had trouble finishing, he says he just feels no sensation while we are having sex. The oether day when we were having sex he had trouble finishing again but he managed too. We just want to know if there are anyway to enhance the sensation or what can be done.

View more questions Search