Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    drabe Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2010, 03:03 PM
    What is acceptable size of a belly or sag in a main sewer line?
    I just had my main line scoped, at about 7-8' from city tap there was a good size belly or sag. My house is only 9 years old, plumber said some contractors get sloppy on bedding lines and compacting?
    CHayn Posts: 177, Reputation: 10

Apr 18, 2010, 03:10 PM

No sag is acceptable. Assuming your sewer line is 4" you want an 1/8 inch per foot minimum slope. Anything less is unacceptable. Unless you don't mind calling your plumber out on a regular basis to clean out your sewer.
    truck 41 Posts: 221, Reputation: 21

Apr 18, 2010, 09:37 PM

Always cheaper to take care of the problem sooner than later. Those sewer call bills will add up quickly.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 19, 2010, 06:42 AM

Before we get into the expense of digging up and repairing the line. How many times have you had a back up? How many feet does the bell cover? How much trouble has this bell caused? Wh ydid you have it cammed in the first place?
    Like the other experts I think any back fall's unacceptable but I want to know more about your problem. Regards, Tom

Apr 21, 2010, 06:13 PM
    We are getting ready to sell the house and are under contract, had line cam for inspection. Line has only backed up 2 times in 9 years. The problem is we have 2 bellies that are full, 1 in the front yard that is 34 feet and goes into the street, the second is in the basement between the main stack and the cleanout, this part of the line has not clogged yet. My plumber said line in basement hasn't clogged because of force from water coming down stack plus washing machine help keep it clear. Line is 3" abs in basement and 4" to street. House is 9 years old, all companies that have quoted me repairs say it was due to poor install? Thanks for your time, Darrin
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 22, 2010, 05:34 AM

What options were you given? Will you be forced to to open up and repair the bells before the sale can continue? Back to you. Tom

Apr 24, 2010, 06:26 PM
    Buyers have already backed out, the options giving was to dig up front yard and street replace line, in basement run new line from main vent stack to clean out in new trench and abandon old line. Thank you again, Darrin.
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 25, 2010, 05:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by drabe View Post
    Buyers have already backed out, the options givin was to dig up front yard and street replace line, in basement run new line from main vent stack to clean out in new trench and abandon old line. Thank you again, Darrin.
    That's no option, That's a mandate. Looks like you're going to hafta bite the bullet and make the repair. Get three estimates and go with the one you're most comfortable with. Good luck, Tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 25, 2010, 04:26 PM

You should have no "belly" in sewer line. Period. If it is my house, I would fix it. Also, I hope you realize it is against the Law to sell the house w/o disclosing this problem to the buyer.

For the last 8 years, we do Sewer Video Inspection for several Real Estate offices here in town. Sewer repairs are very expensive and new buyers want to make sure they don't have to spend money to correct what should have been corrected by the selling party in first place.

Apr 30, 2010, 03:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Milo Dolezal View Post
    You should have no "belly" in sewer line. Period. If it is my house, I would fix it. Also, I hope you realize it is against the Law to sell the house w/o disclosing this problem to the buyer.

For the last 8 years, we do Sewer Video Inspection for several Real Estate offices here in town. Sewer repairs are very expensive and new buyers want to make sure they don't have to spend money to correct what should have been corrected by the selling party in first place.
    We are fixing problem, what would you do if your house was only 9 years old and had this problem, all plumbing companies to scope line said it was due to a poor installation/improper bedding of lines
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 30, 2010, 04:49 PM

You have only two options here;
    1) Keep the house **OR**
    2) Bite the bullet and replace the sewer. It can be a positive thing if you wish to sell. There will be no question and the buyer won't have to cam the sewer because you'll have both the permit, your paid bill and the inspectors sign off.
    I want to wish you well in the future. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What are my options w/ a belly in the main line? [ 4 Answers ]

I just bought my house in June09, we had the previous owner "snake" the main line because When we inspected the house the washer was backing up through the drain and the basement bathroom isn't draining correctly and also bubbles. Now my kitchen sink gurgles when the washer is draining and it is...

Under slab sewer line has a belly [ 3 Answers ]

I had sewer water backup into a shower. Had a plumber out to snake the line. This did not clear up the issue of standing water in the sewer line. He ran a video camera down pipe and found that two different sections had standing water. He tells me this is not normal and the solutions is to use a...

Sewer gas - did I hook up to main sewer line correctly? [ 3 Answers ]

Moved a mobile home in and ran the sewer line to the main line - on some days I smell sewer gas, and I think it's coming from the vents on the house! - I want to know if I should o had put a "P" trap or something in line before hooking up to main sewer line? I have seen other places saying to...

Belly in Sewer Line [ 16 Answers ]

Because our plumbing has stopped up numerous times we had a camera video made. The last time it stopped up I ran the washer and sewer came up through toilet and flooded the bathroom. What a mess! It shows no breaks but a significant belly. Our sewer line is under the slab and the estimate to...

View more questions Search