Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2010, 12:56 PM

I'm rather lost in the first couple of posts that I read, so I'm just going to give my advise. Sorry if it has already been given.

Why were you holding a hermit crab in the first place? These types of pets are for looking at, not touching. They're about the same as a frog. The salt (which is nothing like sea salt) absorbs into the skin of the crab and will shorten the life span.

To have a hermit crab let go of you, put it in water. The crab will eventually let go. Get him out of there immediately, or he'll drown, but that was the best way I found out how to get crabs off me.

Please don't use any other type of utensil. You're going to hurt him.

As far as the disease discussion. Any animal can trasmit a disease. Salmonella is always a huge thing to be careful of when handling reptiles or amphibians. It also depends on how clean you keep the cage. If the animal has a dirty cage, infection of your wound is more likely. If the cage is relatively clean, infection is still likely, but not as high of risk.

Clean your wound with a good antibiotic. Keep it covered. Don't hold hermit crabs all day and don't allow anyone to pry the animal off your skin. We found out what that did, hurt you more than it hurt the animal.

Good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Random pinching feeling in left lower back [ 1 Answers ]

I have had a random pinching feeling in my left lower back for the past few months. When I move a certain way it feels like a pinch to the point it sometimes can almost take my breath away. Trying to figure out what it could be. Any ideas??

Pinching/shock sensations [ 2 Answers ]

Hello! I am 10 weeks pregnant today and I've been getting quite a few pinching and like mini shocks feeling my lower abdomen, sort of from my belly button to my lower lower abdomen... ive been told it's a sign that all is well and things are developing and "working" as they should but I've been...

Cat actys like a hermit crab [ 2 Answers ]

Helloo :o I have a new kitten, her name is Auni She's so adorable and tiny, but she acts kind of strange sometimes. Im not particularly worried, just curious. Sometimes, she puts her back in the air (kind of like those cartoony black cats when their angry) and walks sideways, like a...

Hermit Brother [ 1 Answers ]

This sounds like a good ol' classic case of Chat Addiction. I remember when I used to be just like that, as an ex-nethead I would cut myself off from other people unintetionally but this would alienate my friends and family and it started to show. If he is anything like me then he'll grow out of...

View more questions Search