Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jackall Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2010, 11:37 AM
    Why are
    "racist views"deemed offensive?
    Surely it is a view point? Do people with "racist views" find opposing views offensive?
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2010, 12:03 PM

Why the question? Is this for an assignment at School?
    Any racist remark to a person of a different race is offensive.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 18, 2010, 12:05 PM

I think its mostly in the definition of " racist remark ".

If it is true in nature then yes it is offensive. But if its directed at truth then it's a statement.
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2010, 12:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    I think its mostly in the definiton of " racist remark ".

If it is true in nature then yes it is offensive. But if its directed at truth then its a statement.
    You're right califdadof3...
    positiveparent Posts: 1,136, Reputation: 291
    -

Jun 14, 2010, 07:17 PM

Because they are mostly of a derogatory or insulting nature.

Belittling someone of a different colour, is usually because the person making the remark is ill mannered and ignorant, we are all Humans and all entitled to be treated with respect and dignity.

Regardless of the colour of our skin.
    Uber Member

Jun 14, 2010, 07:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by positiveparent View Post
    Because they are mostly of a derogatory or insulting nature.

Belittling someone of a different colour, is usually because the person making the remark is ill mannered and ignorant, we are all Humans and all entitled to be treated with respect and dignity.

Regardless of the colour of our skin.

True... :)
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2010, 01:01 PM

Yeah, generally they are meant as hurtful words, and are taken that way. I enjoy racist jokes with friends of all races at times, they are less sensitive to that rather than being called something racist.

In reality most racist comments are not true, or if so, only by a small amount or isolated cases that otherwise apply to most all races.

The idea that one person thinks they are better than any other person for any reason is a result of stupidity. Each person is different, yes, but what gives any person to declare their differences superior to another's.
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2010, 01:13 PM

People are hurt by words sometimes. I agree with infojunkie. Some do it to feel superior.. some just don't know any better.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2010, 08:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackall View Post
    " Why are racist views"deemed offensive? Surely it is a view point? Do people with "racist views" find opposing views offensive?
    Hello J:

I'm going to disagree with my friends here. There are TWO things to consider when answering your question; (1) what's in a racist's MIND, and (2) what does he DO about it. Your question refers only to what's in someone's mind - what his "views" are, if you will. Frankly, I don't find anything people think to be offensive. My thoughts aren't all that pure, either.

But, if you meant to question us about whether racist ACTIONS are offense, they, of course, ARE, and for all of the reasons they listed...

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 20, 2010, 08:53 AM

Something is offensive when it is intended to demean and belittle. When its based not on any facts, but simply on an unreasoning belief.

Your question does need to be put in the context of why you are asking.

Just because a viewpoint is offensive does not mean the person isn't entitled to that viewpoint. People are entitled to their viewpoints no matter how ridiculous, stupid or unreasoning they are. But then I have the right to view such a person as dumb, hateful and bigoted.

The second part of this is what a person does with their viewpoint as excon pointed out. I believe that a person should be allowed to do what they want up to, but not including when that something infringes on another person's right to do what they want. Clearly the offensive nature of racism interferes with other people's rights so, expressing and acting on those viewpoints becomes offensive and in some cases, illegal.
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2010, 12:02 PM

Jackall... What do you consider a
    Racist offensive view?
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2010, 02:45 PM

The trouble with a person who has racist views is that they always think theirs... is the only opinion that counts... and that they are always right...

Any person criticizing another, for what ever reason, is always going to offend that person.

I have been witness to many racist incidents, not at me personally, but a co-worker who is a lovely guy, this I did speak up about, although the person in question just laughed it off.

Racist comments are mostly aimed at the colour of a persons skin, which really makes me angry. Here in the UK we have many nationalities, all different colours and cultures but most racist remarks are made at the skin colour and not at others who are white but still foreign... iI put it down to ignorance and their upbringing, having witnessed small children voicing their parents oppinions... which of course is how it progresses through the generations.

Thankfully we are not all like that.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 24, 2010, 07:46 PM

Closed, old thread

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search