Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bumble40 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2010, 01:46 AM
    I've done something I'm so ashamed of please help me
    I am married with two children from a previous relationship and 1 from my present marriage. When I first got together with my present husband I told a massive lie about my ex. I think I did it to make me look better and him look worse, I am not sure. I am now having severe problems with my anger and my second husband has moved out in order to get his space. I thought things were getting better then I completely lost it with him yesterday about nothing in particular and he for some reason said that he had been thinking of talking to my ex about my anger problems and how he used to deal with them. If he does this I know he will find out about the lie and if he does I will lose him forever. He is the best thing that has ever happened to me, I love him to pieces. I am already on antidepressants and have no idea what to do. I have been over every eventuality in my mind allnight long and now just can't stop crying. Please help me. What do I do?
    amicon Posts: 6,066, Reputation: 1911
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2010, 02:04 AM

Lies have a tendency to fester away beneath the surface.

Whatever it is you have lied about,you should tell your husband.

You're on antidepressants-are you seeing a therapist?

If not,I suggest you do so you can get help sorting out your issues.
    bumble40 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2010, 02:08 AM

If I tell my husband he will leave me. The lie I told was that my ex had had an affair. He is the best thing that has ever happened to me. I can't lose him
    amicon Posts: 6,066, Reputation: 1911
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2010, 02:28 AM

If he talks to your ex he'll find out anyway.

Bite the bullet and come clean.
    Devorameira Posts: 2,461, Reputation: 981
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2010, 04:24 AM

You really need to come clean with your husband and tell him everything. He probably won't even ask the ex about his imaginary affair, but it'd sure be better to hear it from you instead of him. I think he'll understand.

If you truly want to keep your husband, you really need to seek some counseling to get to the root of your anger issues. It is really miserable to try and live with an angry person.
    sully123 Posts: 567, Reputation: 148

Apr 18, 2010, 08:28 AM

First of all, you need to tell your husband the truth. Then you need to get help with your anger issues! If you want to save the marriage and he is willing to do this, go see a therapist for your anger, so you can get in control. Good luck.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2010, 08:30 AM

What is your lie?
    CarrotTalker Posts: 392, Reputation: 189

Apr 18, 2010, 09:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper1976 View Post
    What is your lie?
    I believe she told her husband that her ex had an affair, even though he didn't. It sounds like maybe the ex left her because of her anger issues.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2010, 01:12 PM

Or is it possible that she was the one that had an affair??
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Apr 18, 2010, 01:31 PM

Did you have anger issues with your ex-husband? Is part of the anger problem due to feeling guilty for lying about your ex? Coming clean may help in several ways.

What are you doing to handle to the anger issues? Have you talked with your doctor about the issue and maybe trying a different medicine or approach? If this is affecting your marriage, then it is definitely affecting your children, too.

Come clean. Things can't get any worse than him leaving you and he has already moved out. Does the reason changing really matter?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 18, 2010, 04:09 PM

Tell him the truth, you lied. And need to see a doctor to get your meds adjusted, or changed, and I bet he is willing to help! See your doctor any way.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Apr 18, 2010, 04:20 PM

It seems you are very focused on the 'lie', being a white one, and in the scope of things, not too significant. At least not enough to end a marriage over.

If your husband were to talk to your ex, the ex would say, "no, I didn't have an affair", as anybody would expect him to say.

What is this really all about.

What came first. If it was the lie, then you've been stewing about it for years. If it is the fact that your husband is going to talk to your ex about your anger issues, and how to handle it, what's the problem.

I agree it is unusual for a husband to talk to his wife's ex, but, it seems that he is trying to help you, not hurt you.

Are you minimizing your own behaviour for other reasons? Was it you that had the affair? Just my opinion here, but your over-reaction to such a minor issue that never happened in the first place, seems out of whack.

If you are on antidepressants, there must be more to this story.

I hope you can offer more in the way of your own situation, rather than the smoke screen you have presented.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am ashamed [ 4 Answers ]

Of what damage I've caused myself just in a year. I've got many scars and I don't want them any more, I feel they make me look uglier and I hate it, people always ask me about them and I have to make up a lie to tell them. How can I make them fade or how do I cope with this. I find it really...

Ashamed of being an Indian [ 33 Answers ]

Ta

Ashamed of PTSD [ 2 Answers ]

I have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder for 10 years. I have actually been almost completely med free for about 2 years. Last fall, I began to have pseudoseizures and was also diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. I was emotionally, verbally and physically abused as a child - and...

Cutting. I'm ashamed [ 12 Answers ]

So I started dating a guy about a month ago and I let him know even before we started dating that I "used to be emo" (I used the word emo to make it seem less serious) and later let him know that I used to cut myself. I hadn't cut myself for a period of about 6 months and around the time that I...

View more questions Search