Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BiWiccanAndProud Posts: 530, Reputation: 25

Apr 17, 2010, 04:19 PM
    Is it safe to have my puppy around my lizard?
    Okay we are getting a new puppy this coming Monday and my mother in law pointed out I should find out if my lizard will be okay with it. I know that when I touch my lizard I have to wash my hands afterwards, will there be any ill effects if our puppy walks around where my lizard does? What if my lizard is out and the puppy licks it or something, will the puppy be okay? If it makes any difference, my lizard is a Water Dragon. Thank you for any answers in advance.

Apr 17, 2010, 04:23 PM
    Will my puppy be all right around my lizard?
    Anyone?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 17, 2010, 04:55 PM

Posts merged
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 17, 2010, 08:49 PM

I don't know a lot about lizards. I do know my cousin had to get rid of his lizard when they had their baby, their doctor recommended it because there's a risk of salmonella if you're not careful.

I don't think there's a risk to other animals, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

It would be best to ask your vet.

Apr 17, 2010, 09:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    I don't know a lot about lizards. I do know my cousin had to get rid of his lizard when they had their baby, their doctor recommended it because there's a risk of salmonella if you're not careful.

I don't think there's a risk to other animals, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

It would be best to ask your vet.
    Yeah I know the possibility of salmonella is why we wash our hands, but I figure animals have anti bodies for that right? I'd ask my vet but I don't have one. I've been searching the web but I can't find anything. Any sites you could recommend to find an answer?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 17, 2010, 09:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BiWiccanAndProud View Post
    Yeah I know the possibility of salmonella is why we wash our hands, but I figure animals have anti bodies for that right? I'd ask my vet but I don't have one. I've been searching the web but I can't find anything. Any sites you could recommend to find an answer?
    Wait. You're getting a puppy and you don't have a vet? You're going to need one and soon.

I've searched for some info but can only find info on humans and lizards, so far I haven't found anything that suggest that other animals aren't safe. That doesn't mean that the info isn't out there, it just means that I couldn't find any.

Really your best bet is talking to a vet. It's best to have a vet in place before you bring the puppy home anyway. So search for a vet in your area, call and ask your question about the lizard and if it's safe to have a puppy come into your home.

Apr 18, 2010, 08:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    Wait. You're getting a puppy and you don't have a vet? You're going to need one and soon.

I've searched for some info but can only find info on humans and lizards, so far I haven't found anything that suggest that other animals aren't safe. That doesn't mean that the info isn't out there, it just means that I couldn't find any.

Really your best bet is talking to a vet. It's best to have a vet in place before you bring the puppy home anyway. So search for a vet in your area, call and ask your question about the lizard and if it's safe to have a puppy come into your home.
    We put a down payment on the puppy yesterday and we are getting her Monday so yeah we haven't found a vet yet, there are several different ones and I'm going to try to sort through them and find out which is the best, I know that there are so pretty crapy ones where I live.

But yeah that's all the info I was finding too, I'll definitely ask a vet when I get one, but if you find any information I would still like to know as the puppy is coming home tomorrow and I'm slightly worried.

Apr 18, 2010, 09:03 AM

Okay I just searched "can dogs get salmonella" and it was a lot more helpful then asking about dogs and lizards coexisting in the same house. I found out that healthy dogs don't typically get salmonella from raw meats, so the possibility of my dog get salmonella from the slim chance she might get a chance to like my lizard is pretty small wouldn't you think?

And I realized that the original question my mother in law is pretty ridiculous, she was wondering if we should shampoo our carpet so that none of the lizard germs on the carpet get on the puppy but we haven't ever done that and I could find no where on the internet that said to clean every where your lizard walks, and we haven't gotten salmonella and we are more susceptible to it. What do you think?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2010, 12:51 PM

I think the chemicals used in carpet cleaning are a bigger risk to the puppy's health than the risk of salmonella "germs" in the carpeting.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 18, 2010, 01:02 PM

I'd be more worried about the puppy and the lizard chewing on and scratching at each other and drawing blood. A lizard and a puppy are two entirely different species.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2010, 05:32 PM

The puppy will more than likely eat the lizard or try its hardest too...

Reptiles and puppies will never co exist peacefully, so don't expect them to be "friends".

Keep them separate. Wash your hands before handling either animal to avoid any type of disease transmitting from one another.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 18, 2010, 05:42 PM

From Cats and Dogs, Other Herps, and Water Dragons! Mixing reptile and amphibian species in the same cage --

Cats, and Dogs and Water Dragons

I've been asked if water dragons have an innate fear of dogs? of cats? and of people? Of people or any living thing that is larger than them, yes! :) Can this fear be overcome? In the case of humans- in most cases it is, in the case of dogs and cats etc. ... well I think it would be foolhardy to try. It is just too dangerous! :) If you own a dog or a cat it would be in the dragons best interest if you tried to keep the dog or cat in another room when the dragon is loose, you don't want any terrible accidents to happen. (:

If the dog is in the room that you keep the dragon in, and the dragon seems extremely stressed out then I would keep the dragons enclosure in another location. I think a cat would probably notice and bother a dragon when it is in it's enclosure more than a dog would, but use your observation skills!

You should also be sure that the door of the enclosure is secure so that the dragon can not get out without your knowledge. If your dragon is being kept in an enclosure with a screened lid please be sure that both the lid and the screen material are strong and secure. I have heard of two cases where a cat has broken through the fine screening of the lid and injured the lizards within.

However, there are exceptions to every rule. I get letters from some dragon keepers who tell me that their dragon, and their dog or cat are best friends. So yes it is possible for them to get along just fine- but I wouldn't count on it, and I would not leave your dragon loose in a room with a dog or cat unsupervised.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What age is it safe to bath my puppy [ 3 Answers ]

My puppy was born jan 14th which is a month and a bit just as a puppy he is very curious and gets himself in messes.. is it OK for me to bath him so baby?

Lizard compatibility [ 2 Answers ]

Hey there! I have a question about desert lizards that maybe you could answer for me. I have a pet bearded dragon that is very friendly, I want to get a Uromastyx, but I don't know if they can live together. They are both desert lizards, and live in almost same habitats except that The...

Lizard birth [ 7 Answers ]

If you have raised kids (or been one), and gone through the pet syndrome, including toilet flush burials for dead goldfish, the story below will have you laughing out LOUD! Overview: I had to take my son's lizard to the vet. Here's what happened: Just after dinner one night, my son came up...

3 mo old Lab puppy has fleas & we need a safe way to treat our house & yard? [ 1 Answers ]

Help, help, help! We just got a lab puppy 4 weeks ago and over Christmas relatives watched her and as a present, returned her with fleas... we combed 70 off her yesterday!! We gave her FrontLine Plus for dogs 8+ weeks and less than 22 lbs but we need to make sure there are no eggs in the house or...

6 week old puppy -safe fles control [ 1 Answers ]

I got a pup who's Mom desired at 4 weeks. I comb the fleas off as she is to young. I'm desperate to find something safe I can do at this time.

View more questions Search