Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Apr 16, 2010, 12:16 PM
    Pop+laptop...
    Can a laptop recover from having a glass of pop spilled on it? :(

Not sure what happened but when I work up this morning my laptop was laying facedown, and there was a empty glass of pop laying beside it.

I took the battery off and there was pop underneath it. Is there any thing I can do?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 16, 2010, 12:19 PM
    Yes they can recover.
    You need to dry it out and hopefully you'll be fine. DON'T even think about starting it up for at least a week to allow good drying time.
    The keys maybe sticky, but should be OK.
    I've spilt a pint of beer on mine and it worked fine after drying.
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Apr 16, 2010, 12:25 PM

Use alcohol swabs or cotton balls with alcohol on them to clean the pop off every surface you can get to. The alcohol evaporates before the moisture from the cleaning can do any damage. It's also the best thing I know of to clean up stickiness.

If the sugar makes your computer run funny even after it's dry, you can probably take it to a computer repair place to get it cleaned. I have no idea what they would charge, but you can bet it'll be less than replacing the thing.
    Dogs Expert

Apr 16, 2010, 12:29 PM

Oh thanks guys! That was quick!

So should I leave the battery off for the whole week?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 16, 2010, 12:31 PM
    Yep NO power at all.
    Hairdrier would also be good to dry out the hard to get to areas.
    Dogs Expert

Apr 28, 2010, 07:08 AM

So just an update, my laptop never recovered. I know with cell phones if you get them wet you can take the battery off and put the phone and battery in a bowl of un cooked rice, is there any thing else I could try? Do you think getting it professional cleaned might help?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2010, 07:10 AM
    I doubted that the sugary sticky stuff wouldn't make it into the electronics. You would have been OK with water but not with other liquids.
    Experts

Apr 28, 2010, 09:30 AM

It's worth contacting someone and seeing if they can clean it. Like I said, getting it cleaned will be cheaper then getting a new computer. Sugar can really mess with electronics.
    Dogs Expert

Apr 28, 2010, 10:08 AM

Sad but true :( Worst part is... It's less than 2 months old. Who needs total equipment protection OR the extended warranty which does cover water damage??
    Experts

Apr 28, 2010, 10:33 AM

Come on, everyone knows warrenties are for pansies.
    Xan-Kriegor Posts: 158, Reputation: -2

Apr 28, 2010, 10:42 AM

Yes, it can. I once pilled Coca Cola on my Gsm and it borked but it was sticky. XD
    Experts

Apr 28, 2010, 10:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Xan-Kriegor View Post
    Yes, it can. I once pilled Coca Cola on my Gsm and it borked but it was sticky. XD
    I'm sorry, but the misspellings made me giggle ^_^
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2010, 12:10 PM

Basically, I'd take it apart and remove the hard drive and the motherboard battery. Everything else gets a good scrubbing and drying out.

The keyboard especially.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting laptop to laptop using crossover cable [ 4 Answers ]

I have recently just bought a new laptop with Windows Vista.. and I am interested in transferring my files from the old laptop that uses Windows XP onto the new laptop. I purchased a crossover cable because I figured it would be the cheapest way to transfer. I am not too sure how to go about...

How do I reboot my laptop because I have forgot my password to sign in to my laptop [ 3 Answers ]

How do I reboot my laptop beacause I have forgot my password to sign in to my laptop

How to shift my PC data to laptop, bt laptop is at other place? [ 8 Answers ]

I have a PC now I am shifting to delhi for 2 months for my summer training , I need to shift my PC too so that I can use my data over there... but I can not shift it ,is there any other option so that I can use my data over there witout having my PC... I will be having a laptop over there,but that...

Connect laptop with XP to laptop with Vista [ 1 Answers ]

Easiest way to connect laptop with XP to laptop with Vista

Laptop screen repair? Useful life of a laptop? [ 3 Answers ]

I have an IBM Thinkpad X40. Have had it for 3 years Spilt liquid on the screen a while ago and now, although the screen works still, it has a kind of mottled tidemark effect and is dark in places (can also see where drops of water are permanently "stuck" behind the screen). Is this fixable?...

View more questions Search