Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jcarp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2010, 09:53 AM
    Ruptured freon line for refrigerator what do I do about the odor?
    What do I do about a ruptured freon line to a refrigerator? It is old and was being thrown out but the smell is awful
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 16, 2010, 10:29 AM

You are dealing with a dangerous substance and you should have called someone the minute you knew the leak was there. In Canada we can't throw old fridges out, a technician has to drain the freon first, dispose of it and then the fridge goes.

Freon and Your Health in the Home
    applguy Posts: 324, Reputation: 23

Apr 18, 2010, 07:59 PM
    "Freon" is a nearly odorless gas. It is also not toxic unless it is burned. It can be harmful by displacing oxygen from the area, making it obviously hard for you to breathe. "Freon" is a word many people use in place of "refrigerant". There have been, and still are, MANY different formulations of chemicals used as refrigerants. Many older appliances didn't use "freon" as most people know it; they were known to use different chemicals such as ammonia, which may be why you find the odor so offensive. My recommendation is open windows and use several fans and evacuate the area for a day or two. Once a line breaks open, there's not much you can do about it, and calling someone won't help you much, either. Now, if you knew the line was going to break in advance, that would be a different story. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I still use the refrigerator part of the icebox without the fixing the freon line [ 0 Answers ]

Can I still use the refrigerator without fixing the freon line I don't need the actual freeezer part or do I to make the icebox work?

Punctured Freon Line in Refrigerator [ 1 Answers ]

Can A punctured Freon line in a refrigerator be repaired?

Refrigerator freon charge? [ 4 Answers ]

I've got an old refrigerator made in the early 90's. You can not read the name plate to find out what type of refrigerant it's charged with but it runs a lot, I've cleaned the condenser coil. I noticed that it has a piercing valve on the high side line and I know that those have a tendency to...

We think we have ruptured well water line because of a faulty pressure switch [ 8 Answers ]

We had pressure switch to our submersible well that was not cycling on and off. We cleaned the points and thought everything was OK. Several days later we discovered water coming up around the casing to the well. We then realized the pump had been running continuously. We replaced the pressure...

Refrigerator freon line pinhole puncture on copper tube [ 2 Answers ]

Would an epoxy cement be a suitable repair material on the coper tubing or is the only solution to have it soldered if I wanted to repair the small hole leak?

View more questions Search