Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    grall Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2010, 07:56 PM
    Washer Problems
    I have a question guys, I had the set up with the aav picture, however, just received a new washing machine and the hose didn't fit into the pvc pipe. So I chopped off the top part and just dropped the washing machine hose into the pvc pipe. However, being a new machine and emptying at 17 gallons a minute the water backs up the pipe and out of the drain pipe all over my floor. Did the previous hookup prevent this from happening? Secondly, I have an old house and the pipe from the washing machine down through the floor to the line and into the ground seems to be lousy as far as getting rid of water quickly.

I guess I was wondering if it's a drain problem or what I did really screwed up the drainage of the water from the washing machine. I am not familiar with the venting and all that, but my system had the washing machine hooked up to the side of the pvc, o clamped and a sealed cap on top of the pvc pipe. Now the new machine is not using that system since I broke off the sealed top.

Thanks - plumber?

Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    Tom,
    That's your adapter I'm showing. Is that just a 1 1/2 trap adapter or is it a special adapter for the washing machine hose?

Well, its been working up until now, just leaking, right?

If you want to cover the venting aspect do this;

Change the reducer to a 2 X 1 1/2 X 1 1/2" sanitary tee;
    Put a AAV in the top and the trap adapter in the side port
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 15, 2010, 08:02 PM

Your drain is either undersized or is clogged. If undersized than change it to 2" pipe with 36" stand pipe. If clogged, have your drains cleaned. That will solve the problem.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 15, 2010, 08:30 PM

Agreed, newer washer really need the 2" pipe which is code. The Plumbing code recently even thought about increasing the size to 3" but did not. You need at least a 36" stand pipe and you can make a water tight connection using a combination of couplings
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Apr 15, 2010, 09:00 PM

Not sure what your washer stand set up is but it sounds like you had a tee or a sanitary tee on the top of the pipe with the top of the tee sealed.

Also sounds like the pipe is either too small for the new washer or there is enough crud build up in the pipeing to restrict the flow.

One purpose of using the sealed connection is an attempt to overcome these problems.

Connect the washer hose to the side port using sealed connection and install the AAV in the top port to insure the venting.

Apr 16, 2010, 03:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Agreed, newer washer really need the 2" pipe which is code. The Plumbing code recently even thought about increasing the size to 3" but did not. You need at least a 36" stand pipe and you can make a water tight connection using a combination of couplings
    Hey Guys, Thanks for the answers, Therefore, I need to replace the 1.5" PVC pipe with 2" PVC pipe and then attach to my line plus clean out the line? Could you let me know a little more of why I just can't have the hose from the washing machine drop into the PVC Pipe? Thanks for your help and I was also interested in the purpose of a system that's all closed off like the picture showed. I have it set up now and it looks like a floor standpipe drain system but what's the diference between that and a floor drain system? Thanks
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 16, 2010, 07:32 AM

A 1 1/2" pipe simply can not handle the rapid volume of water pumped out by the newer machines. To which picture do you refer?

Apr 16, 2010, 02:00 PM

I was looking at that drawing that was one one of the previous posts, I have a plumber coming over tomorrow and I think it is definitely the drain toward the outside of the house, I'll get some pics up soon

Apr 16, 2010, 02:35 PM
    I enclosed some pictures of my pvc 1.5" in the basement, you'll notice that the drain pipe overflows even when I rigged up a hose to drain from my upstairs sink.
    Attached Images

hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Apr 16, 2010, 04:02 PM

Are you saying that your problem is that water is backing up out of the floor drain?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washer/toilet problems.coincidence, not sure? [ 3 Answers ]

1. My washer drain backs up on the spin cycle. The drain sits just above the washer itself. I tried adding drain cleaner and a 2' PVC air line to the washer drain but no luck. It drains when the lid on the washer is lifted at the right time during the cycle. Do I need to snake it? 2. My...

Kemore Calypso Washer Problems [ 1 Answers ]

I have nothing but problems with my Kenmore washer, multiple pumps have gone out, leaking, replaced drum replaced, etc... I am so frustrated with the piece of junk it's sickening. I am the original owner and have now had it for approx. 5 years. What can I do to force Sears to replace it or give...

Washer discharge problems [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have a clothes washer that backs up from time to time and it only has 2 feet of waste line before the trap. I just was looking at a post here that says at least 4 feet of pipe before the trap are needed. I have snaked everything out and the waste line can easily handle a garden hose...

View more questions Search