Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2010, 12:46 PM
    Grass won't grow under tree
    Basically what the title says.
    We have a tree, possibly a Wattle tree (not sure) and it drops leaves pretty much constantly throughout the year.
    Under the tree the grass just will not grow.

Is there any way we can fix this or does the tree have to go?

Here is a picture of the offending tree and lawn:
    (the rest of the lawn is a lot greener now, the photo was taken in summer and we had only just bought a sprinkler)
    Attached Images

tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 15, 2010, 12:53 PM

Yes, wattle tree is an acacia tree, many different variations and it drops pods, and they probably turn black, so that is your culprit. I had to get rid of a Linden tree because the seeds which were icky, ruining my patio furniture, drawing flies. So yes, I guess the tree has to go because I don't know how you will get it to stop dropping the pods.

Tick
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2010, 03:43 PM

Thanks Tick, I was thinking that might be the case...
    I tried raking the leaves up but got tired of doing it every day.

We were thinking about getting it removed (blocks out too much light to front windows) but that confirms our decision!

The one in front of it (silvery looking one) is not going anywhere, I love that tree, so pretty.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 15, 2010, 04:29 PM

You could always put mulch under the tree. That's what I would do, have done.

The grass won't grow because it's not getting sunlight. But the tree is beautiful.

I would just dig out the grass around the tree, put rubber gardening tubing around using the width of the tree branches, lay down plastic weed protector stuff and then put mulch. They have some really nice mulch now, I have and indian red colored cedar mulch, smells great and looks really nice.

This will also make mowing the lawn easier.
    Pets Expert

Apr 15, 2010, 04:31 PM

Shazzy, give me a bit, I have a landscaping program, I copied you picture and I'm going to play with it a bit, show you what I mean. Okay?

It will take a while, I'm not quick with computer stuff. ;)
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Apr 15, 2010, 04:35 PM

Keep the tree it is beautiful. Shade is always wonderful. Do what Alty suggests and think about the hot hot summer days and the sunshine boaring into your home and making you hot:)
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Apr 15, 2010, 05:09 PM

Have you tried planting a hardy shade-loving grass? I would hate to see a tree die just because grass doesn't like living under it.
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2010, 11:09 PM

I don't think it's an issue with shade, more the leaves on the ground.
    The silvery looking tree is actually thicker and shadier and the grass grows there :confused:

Mulch sounds like a good idea, I'll look into that after I see the pictures (they didn't work :( )
    Pets Expert

Apr 15, 2010, 11:28 PM

Darnit, I worked hard on them, couldn't post them here and now you can't even open them?

Sigh.

Trust me, they're really nice. ;) :)
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Apr 15, 2010, 11:35 PM

Why can't you post them here? Did you try uploading them to photobucket then embedding them here? That's what I usually have to do, since my camera makes really big picture files.
    Expert

Apr 16, 2010, 03:25 AM

I know what Alty means about the mulch, I am a gardener with quite a large area to care for, but that is a really big space to mulch and would not look quite right. Mulch is expensive, would take many bags of it. I could have a few good landscaping ideas for that too, but all cost money.

Tick
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2010, 04:28 AM

The cheaper the better... a new fence comes before fixing that area (I can't stand that chain fence bleck!)

We are getting there slowly... when we moved in it was all overgrown and dead. We have got the grass back to green, weeded all the garden beds and planted some flowers.
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2010, 04:31 AM
    Here's the before and after.
    We forgot to take a before picture so I got it off Google Street View :D
    Attached Images

Expert

Apr 16, 2010, 04:36 AM

I have given your problem some further thought, shaz and I came up with inexpensive shade loving ground cover under that tree. I have Periwinkle, or it is also known as Plumbago, under any tree on my property that will not produce grass. It is a popular 'evergreen' ground cover meaning it is always green even in winter months and produces a periwinkle blue flower all summer. You don't need many plants to start, it is a fast producer, easily transplanted by just snatching up a bit here and there and sticking it in somewhere else.

Edit: www.phytochemicals.info/plants/periwinkle.php - Belgium

Tick
    Pets Expert

Apr 16, 2010, 08:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hheath541 View Post
    why can't you post them here? did you try uploading them to photobucket then embedding them here? that's what i usually have to do, since my camera makes really big picture files.
    No can do. When I save them it won't allow me to change how I do it (are you with me so far? I don't know the computer lingo). I have to save it under the program which means it can only be opened if you have the program.

The program is free to download for a trial period. It's called "realtime Ladnscaping".
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2010, 07:58 AM

They look really pretty tick, I will definitely put those on my list!

I will have a look for that program Alty, I saved those 2 files anyway in the hopes I could find a way to open them :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grass won't grow [ 2 Answers ]

I have a spot in my yard where the grass simply won't grow. It is in the shade, and the dirt is actually like clay. I have spread some seeds, and placed down top soil, but it still won't grow.

How to grow and green my grass [ 1 Answers ]

I am a new homeowner and for the first time I have to take care of my own lawn. I live in IL and had my house built in a new development area. Sod is in the front but the sides and back was a seed blanket. I have noticed that even the sod is not as pretty as it was at first and not much grass grew...

What will grow under a tree? [ 6 Answers ]

We have a large Black Walnut tree in our neighbors yard but on the fence line to our house. We are trying to plant something to block our view of their house but it needs to be able to compete with the tree roots. Is there any way to plant or any other design ideas to help us block the view? Thank...

Need to grow grass in clay [ 2 Answers ]

My new yard seems to be all clay, water just runs off, some areas are flat areas and some a little hilly, so it washes everything off in rain, should I rototill and add something? And what is the best grass to grow?

View more questions Search