Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    coyote556 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2006, 12:31 AM
    Moving basement shower drain part 2
    What is the best way to move a shower drain in the basement floor. I am doing a remodel in my basement and the shower drain will have to be moved. I was wondering what the best way to remove the concrete is, and then the best way to make the repair. Thank you

Thanks for the help. So should I cut a big square around where I want to move the drain, then break up the center part of the square with an electric jackhammer? How do I keep from breaking additional pipe under where I will be breaking the floor up? Thanks again

I asked about moving my shower drain a week or two ago. Well, I got all the concrete broken out and removed around the drain. My question now is how do I get the drain pipe in the exact right spot before pouring the concrete back. I want to install a one piece 32" shower enclosure. I was wondering if there was any way i could leave the drain boxed off in like a 12" opening around the drain and there would be no concrete there? Then I was worried that if I did that, there might not be enough support under the one piece shower but I just don't know. Is a 12" box big enough to still get in there and move the trap around before glueing it all together. Thanks for the help in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by coyote556
    I asked about moving my shower drain a week or two ago. Well, i got all the concrete broken out and removed around the drain. my question now is how do i get the drain pipe in the exact right spot before pouring the concrete back. I want to install a one piece 32" shower enclosure. I was wondering if there was any way i could leave the drain boxed off in like a 12" opening around the drain and there would be no concrete there? then i was worried that if i did that, there might not be enough support under the one piece shower but i just dont know. is a 12" box big enough to still get in there and move the trap around before glueing it all together. thanks for the help in advance.
    I guess I was under the impression that the 1 piece showers were only supported along the outside edge anyway?

One plumber told me to box it out and leave enough room in the box (filled with gravel) that you could work on the P trap later if you needed to. Is this not accurate?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 4, 2006, 07:46 AM
    I would jackhammer, or use a cement saw to open up the floor. Cut out the trap and raiser,(leaving enough room to glue a coupling on), and couple to the drain and extend the trap over to the new location. If this is PVC or ABS don't forget to prime the joints before gluing.
    Good luck, Tom
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 4, 2006, 04:39 PM
    You can cut a square and break it up with a sledge hammer. You would get more control using a hammer. So you fracture a piece of pipe. Simply replace it and press on. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower drain in basement floor [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I'm remodeling the bathroom in my basement. The bathroom now has a toilet & a sink. I just moved in this home. Under the sink cabinet there is what looks like a drian pipe that sticks up from the floor. This is not being used, the drain for the sink is pipe on a seprate pipe. The pipe I'm...

Moving a basement shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am renovating my basement bathroom, and would like to move the shower drain over by about 50". The current drain comes out of the concrete floor. It is a 2-1/4"diameter drain pipe that is surrounded by a 5" diameter pipe with concrete around the outer pipe. I am planning to install a...

Basement floor drain [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Colorado and wish to install a basement shower and use the existing floor drain in the basement to connect the shower basin drain to it. Is that OK to do? What problems might I encounter? How do I know if one exists? If none exists, what are the code requirements? The house was built...

Basement floor drain [ 1 Answers ]

My basement floor has no floor drain. I am concerned that if there is a water event like a hot water heater rupture the basement will flood. What is the best way to install a floor drain for the basement? I have busted up some of the slab because I am adding a bathroom in the basement. Have you...

Converting cast iron floor drain to shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

I am adding a bathroom to my basement, which has partial (complete? ) plumbing already roughed into the floor (in 1976). Sewage lift station (vented) is 3 ft from 4" styrofoam plug (toilet), 4 ft from 1 1/2 inch cast male pipe end extending through floor (lav, have already added vertical vent...

View more questions Search