Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    easearles Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2010, 01:13 AM
    Kenmore 417.81142000 Dryer
    I have a Kenmore Model 417.81142000 Dryer. I was doing laundry tonight and it has stopped drying my clothes. The drum spins, but nothing heats up. I am 95% sure that the heating element needs to be replaced, but I am not sure where I can go out and buy one.

Is there anything else that could be wrong? If not, what kind of store can I go to to buy a new heating element?
    applguy Posts: 324, Reputation: 23

Apr 15, 2010, 06:09 PM
    This dryer was built by Frigidaire. You can get parts from any Frigidaire servicer or from sears themselves. I would say you should read this before buying any parts: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/applia...yer-20960.html This post describes how to access the rear bearing in your dryer, which sits right in the middle of the heating element. If you think its too complicated, call a pro. First, an electric dryer uses 2 separate lines of electricity to run AND heat. If one breaker trips or one fuse blows, the dryer can run but not heat. Check that first by replacing the fuses or turning the breaker off, then on again. Retry the dryer. If the problem persists, I would use a volt meter to check if the voltage is getting through the circuit, outlet and cord and actually making it into the dryer by checking at the terminal block where the cord attaches to the dryer. Assuming it is, a no heat condition will be caused by one of the following: broken heater, open thermostat or thermal fuse (within the dryer), bad motor centrifugal switch, or a bad timer. If you don't have access to a volt meter, or wouldn't know how to use one anyway, maybe it would be best to call a tech out. It's very easy to spend more than you need to on parts that won't fix the problem anyway, and therefore a service call may be the cheapest way to go in the long run. Good luck and be sure to ask if you have further questions.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2010, 06:29 PM

From the way you phrased the question, I suppose your not confident that you have the skills involved. The parts breakdown and prices and even a schematic is here: http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...ken=partSearch

I'll warn you that it may not be the cheapest place. A major appliance parts center is where you would generally go.

You need to use and buy a multimeter to check the element. The most fun will be getting to it.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 15, 2010, 07:15 PM

Good advice, if you call Sears to do the repair it will cost you about $200, which is mostly setrvice call and labor. Parts can be bought on line once you detrermine what is bad.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore Model 417.94712400 stackable washer/dryer; dryer doesn't heat up. [ 4 Answers ]

Dryer drum rotates, and it responds to the "cycles" dial, but the heating element doesn't heat up. Is there a reset button somewhere, or do I need to replace the heating element, OR? Thank you.

No Heat on 417 kenmore dryer [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, seems I am not the first to ask, but so far no one has got the correct answer. In the manual it says that there are 2 house fuses in the dryer circuit.it says,The drum will turn but the heater will not operate. It then says to replace the fuse. However it does not tell you where the dryer...

Kenmore gas dryer 417.92042101 [ 2 Answers ]

My Kenmore gas dryer 417.92042101 is not working. The motor runs but the drum do not rotate. Upon looking inside of the dryer I notice the belt is not broken and the tension is still tight. Also, when it first starts up the drum rotates just a little (I mean a little) then stops. After two or 3...

Kenmore gas dryer 417.92042101 [ 1 Answers ]

My Kenmore gas dryer 417.92042101 is not working. You can hear the motor humming but the drum do not rotate. Please help me out.

View more questions Search