Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Apr 14, 2010, 05:51 PM
    10 year old acting out because of moving
    Hi there,

The title explains a lot. My step daughter is acting out because we are moving and this is the house that she grew up in. While I understand this (I moved 25 times before age 18), her behavior is completely unacceptable. She isn't showering, she isn't brushing her hair or teeth, her hygiene is tumbling downhill basically. She's half doing her chores and then when she's busted for it, she's like oh I didn't know you meant to do that... Things that she has known how to do for a long time. The lying and stealing is getting MUCH worse. I think it has to do with all the changes all at once. Moving-Wedding-Baby. How do I get through to her that her behavior isn't getting her what she wants?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 14, 2010, 05:55 PM

Have you tried to get her to participate in things involving the new home? Is there any painting or decorating to be done? Have you taken her by where your moving and drove the neighborhood? As far as hygene goes you can tell her that she is letting not just herself down but her friends too. Have you made plans so she can stay connected to them?
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2010, 06:00 PM
    I would tell her until she bathed and groomed herself.. no fun privileges.. No TV.. No Ipod.. No phone... If she doesn't do her chores properly she will keep doing them until they are right.

No allowence.. worked with mine.. they called me a meanie, but they turned out to be great adults. Good Luck.. I'm sorry you have to go through this at such a happy time. Hugs:)
    Vision Expert

Apr 14, 2010, 06:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    Have you tried to get her to participate in things involving the new home? Is there any painting or decorating to be done? Have you taken her by where your moving and drove the neighborhood? As far as hygene goes you can tell her that she is letting not just herself down but her friends too. Have you made plans so she can stay connected to them?
    The house is brand new so the only things we're doing is putting our stuff in it, it's not that time yet so no. But she has been involved in the packing, cleaning and storing of things in this house preparing to move out. Yes, she's seen the neighborhood and went to the showing of the house with us. I even made her a notebook to take to school and got all her friends to sign it and write down their phone numbers.
    Vision Expert

Apr 14, 2010, 06:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitkat22 View Post
    I would tell her until she bathed and groomed herself..no fun privileges..No TV..No Ipod..No phone....If she doesn't do her chores properly she will keep doing them untill they are right.

No allowence..worked with mine..they called me a meanie, but they turned out to be great adults. Good Luck..I'm sorry you have to go through this at such a happy time. Hugs:)
    First paragraph is already done. It doesn't seem to phase her. And she doesn't get allowance. I have however told her that we are buying a new computer for everyone in the family and her privileges for that are already revoked before the thing is even purchased. I don't know what else to do here. Her Dad is at a loss as well.
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2010, 06:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma View Post
    First paragraph is already done. It doesn't seem to phase her. And she doesn't get allowance. I have however told her that we are buying a new computer for everyone in the family and her privileges for that are already revoked before the thing is even purchased. I don't know what else to do here. Her Dad is at a loss as well.
    What works with my grandchildren was grounding after we sat them down and told them how their behaviour was affecting us. Sitting in a room with no TV, no video games worked. Of course when they did something outstanding like bringing home straight A's or doing something without being told we started a little bank jar. They added the money when they received it and had a choice of how to spend it.:)
    Vision Expert

Apr 14, 2010, 06:27 PM

She's been grounded for two weeks already. She gets great grades, her teachers want to bump her up a grade but aren't because she's too immature and disrupts other's learning.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 14, 2010, 06:30 PM
    I don't know what else to do here.
    Ask HER for ideas.

What's positive about the move? What will be pluses at the new location?
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2010, 06:32 PM
    She's been grounded for two weeks already. She gets great grades, her teachers want to bump her up a grade but aren't because she's too immature and disrupts other's learning.

Gosh I'm stymied! How old is she?
    Vision Expert

Apr 14, 2010, 06:33 PM

We've had that discussion. It seems like after the talk its great, until the next day... the behavior starts again. She gets to recreate herself in the new school, she can meet new people, learn new things, live closer to her grandmother, do more things since mom and dad are saving money. She knows all this and doesn't seem to appreciate it until we tell her to and then the next day its back to same old same old.
    Vision Expert

Apr 14, 2010, 06:33 PM
    Gosh I'm stymied! How old is she?
    What does stymied mean? She's 10.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 14, 2010, 06:35 PM
    The teachers should put her to work as a peer tutor (and find a few more kids for this). The responsibility will do wonders for her. The peer tutors will have to devise worksheets and lesson plans with the teachers.
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2010, 06:37 PM
    What does stymied mean? She's 10.
    It means I am at a loss for answers. Bless your heart. Gosh 10 years old is a hard age. I hope you and she cand work it out. Maybe some girl time, just the two of you. Good Luck.:)
    Vision Expert

Apr 14, 2010, 06:37 PM

That's not a bad idea. I think though that she might have to reprove herself in the new school before that can happen.
    Vision Expert

Apr 14, 2010, 06:38 PM
    It means I am at a loss for answers. Bless your heart. Gosh 10 years old is a hard age. I hope you and she cand work it out. Maybe some girl time, just the two of you. Good Luck.:)
    We have girl hour everyday, something we came up with when I was working swing shift (which I'm going back to next week). Honestly, NOTHING seems to get through to her. NOthing we do seems to make her realize that she is punishing herself
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 14, 2010, 06:41 PM

Has she become a peer tutor? Has anyone looked at all the positives with her?
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2010, 06:41 PM
    That's not a bad idea. I think though that she might have to reprove herself in the new school before that can happen.
    You can do it! Mark my words.. she'll grow to love and respect you because children don't know it but they like boundaries. Stick to the rules and no matter what is happening now , she'll respect and love you for it... You are going to be a great mom... Hugs:)
    Vision Expert

Apr 14, 2010, 06:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Has she become a peer tutor? Has anyone looked at all the positives with her?
    I just answered both of those questions :P
    Vision Expert

Apr 14, 2010, 06:57 PM
    You can do it! Mark my words..she'll grow to love and respect you because children don't know it but they like boundaries. Stick to the rules and no matter what is happening now , she'll respect and love you for it....You are going to be a great mom...Hugs:)
    Thanks Kitty. I hope so. I'm trying hard. It's difficult because this is the first poerson that I have been with that has kids and now we are getting married and having more and I'm becoming a step mom. I'm trying not to overstep my boundaries while doing my best to be there for everything that she needs.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 14, 2010, 07:01 PM
    I just answered both of those questions :P
    She's 10. An hour is like a thousand years. There is no yesterday or tomorrow, only this very minute. Don't expect her to think like an adult. Have you asked for her input as to what YOU can do differently?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

13 year old ADHD acting very differently.lazy and disrespectful [ 8 Answers ]

Hello I have 13 year old son with ADHD. He has been treated since grade 3. He is a well behaved child who usually needs reminders to keep his focus. He has always been self centered, but not in an intentionnaly cruel way. Lately, since turning 13 he has changed completely. He is very...

Worried about my 3 year old cat, she is acting weird. [ 10 Answers ]

I have a female cat who is 3 and a half years old. A few days ago she pooped in the hallway which is really unlike her. Then, this morning she was crying and scratching at the carpet for about five minutes and then she took a huge poo in the middle of the carpet. She has never done this before. I...

Any suggestions on how to get my 48 year old husband to stop acting like he's 3? [ 10 Answers ]

Here's my situation: I've been married to a man whom I love very deeply, but who makes me crazy with his infantile behavior when it comes to sex. This past three weeks are a prime example of this... On December 22nd, I drove to the college our son attends (some 200 miles one way from...

6 Year old Lab acting strange [ 2 Answers ]

Throughout his life he was perfectly fine, some said he was a little overweight, but aside from that he was perfectly healthy. However, recently, he's been waking up my parents (Im just a 15 year old) in the middle of the night, at like 3am. We're too tired at that point to take him out for...

View more questions Search