Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dueleon Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2010, 04:11 PM
    How much jail time for third degree theft
    About 1 year ago, I was house sitting a house and there was a WII that I sold for some fast cash! I declined to tell the owners of the house about this though the Day they came back I had about $500.00 for the missing items for them. This was more then enough for this missing Wii. Instead of accepting the money they called the police. I was questioned by a detective who wanted to know what was going on and Said "I would not get aressested or go to jail for my statement or what I did" So I told him what Happened!(btw I am somewhat mentally disturbed, grew up with no parents and in fosterhomes in about 3 different states.) now today, 1 year later, I got summoned to court and I'm being told that I'm being charged with theft in the third degree. The statement says that I attempted to deprive them of there Wii, Which I was trying to give them money for it. It says that I'm facing a maximun penalty of 1 year in jail and $2000.00 in fines. I don't care about the fines or anything, I just want to know what are the chances of me going to jail? I have no wish to go to jail, Though is there a weekend program where I go to jail on the weekends? I'm about to start classes for my CDL class A license that I just paid 2500 for. And my girlfriend it 2 months pregnant! I've grew up without parents and I never want my kids to go through what I've had to. BTW this is my first offense to anything like this as far as I know, I had a minor assault 3 with a object about 4-5 years ago but If I recall the charges where dropped and I got deffered acceptance, From what Im told this means its not on my record. I live in the state of Hawaii, hilo Hawaii to be exact and the offense took place in hilo!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 14, 2010, 05:41 PM

Most likely probation, but it will hurt your job chances latter.

They did not have to accept the money, they can call the police and still make you pay for it after the criminal charges are made.

It was the fact that you sold it first of all.
    And second did not tell them when it first started

Apr 14, 2010, 07:39 PM

How positive are you of this?
    Expert

Apr 14, 2010, 08:19 PM

Ok, with a judge you never can tell of course, ( that is why a plea agreement with DA before court is best if the evidence has you nailed for sure.

But jails are over crowded, this was a non violent act. Not real criminal history, I could not image any jail time.

Apr 15, 2010, 07:17 PM

So I met with a public defender today, and she told me to plead not guilty this Tuesday when I go to court. I told her they Had a statement written from me about what I did! She said it didn't matter and that she was going to request mediation which would turn it into a misdemonor or whatever that word is. She said the judge would most likely grant mediation because the state is spending a lot of money on mediation because our system is full whatever that means! Thx chuck!
    Expert

Apr 15, 2010, 07:31 PM

Yes, you have to plead not guilty at your first appearance to start working out a deal. Good luck, and learn your lesson

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is third degree theft? [ 2 Answers ]

Yes. What are the maximun and miminum penalties for theft third degree? How does the law punish third degree theft?

16 year old charged with 3rd degree theft, theft by deception, and forgery what will [ 2 Answers ]

I was charged with 3rd degree theft, theft by deception, and forgery for finding a debit card and buying 3 items in Bridgewater Commons Mall New Jersey that I believe came up to $300 I used credit and had to sigh the receipt I didn't use my name but the name on the card. I was brought to the police...

Chances of jail time for a class b theft in Texas [ 2 Answers ]

I was charged with a class b theft charge in the amount of $54 dollars.It is my first offense.What is the likelihood of getting jail time for this offense?Do they usually just give you a fine on a first offense or a fine and jail time?Is it something that I will definitely need a lawyer for?Ive...

Jail for theft [ 2 Answers ]

Would I go to jail for theft out of a store? Even if I have gotten in trouble twice before, just not for theft?

View more questions Search