Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 14, 2010, 04:04 PM
    Trap primers
    Hi guys. We recently got a new plumbing inspector, and he is requiring trap primers on all floor drains. We have never used trap primers, actually never even seen one in a residential home in our area. Im not here to complain about his requirements (as it is actually code under upc), but just wondering if you guys install them for all floor drains, and what brand you have had the best luck with.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 14, 2010, 04:18 PM
    Our code doesn't call for trap primers but here's how they install, (see images)
    Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 14, 2010, 04:27 PM

Thanks Tom
    manhattan42 Posts: 143, Reputation: 11

Apr 14, 2010, 06:24 PM

Trap primers or their equivalent are required under most all residential and commercial plumbing codes for floor drains.

Even Florida's Plumbing Code requires trap primers for floor drains:

"1002.4 Trap seals. Each fixture trap shall have a liquid seal of
    Not less than 2 inches (51 mm) and not more than 4 inches (102
    Mm), or deeper for special designs relating to accessible fixtures.
    Where a trap seal is subject to loss by evaporation, a trap
    seal primer valve shall be installed. A trap seal primer valve
    shall conform to ASSE 1018 or ASSE 1044
    ."

The International Residential Code Plumbing and International Plumbing Code also require trap primers for floor drains.
    truck 41 Posts: 221, Reputation: 21

Apr 14, 2010, 09:18 PM

You might want to look at this website and consider this trap seal as another option, maybe the inspector will buy it. It will save you a lot of headaches! SureSeal | Inline Floor Drain Trap Sealer
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 15, 2010, 06:35 AM

Manhattan,
    What code book are you quoting from? My SPC book gives Chapter ten, ( Hangers and Support) section 10o2.4 deals with supporting copper tube or 194 water tube. I have never installed a trap primer unless the contract called for it. But then I've been retired for over 20 years.
    Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Double trap OK? Rough in piping + tub trap [ 10 Answers ]

The way the 2" rough in went we ended up with a trap of sorts then a pipe to where the tub trap will be. Not completed yet. Just wondering if a tub trap and a trap made with the rough in piping will cause some sort of problem. The rough in trap was made off a 4x4x2 wye. Would that be adequate...

Trap primers [ 2 Answers ]

I have a project that requires 4 trap primers. I need instructions on how to run them. I have purched one valve and a distrbution unit with 4 leads.

Changing out PVC P-trap to decorative P-trap [ 10 Answers ]

My husband and I are in the process of changing out a vanity in our guest bathroom and I have a few questions. We removed the old vanity and had to cut the old p-trap off with a hack saw. We are replacing with an open vanity so now the pipes will be exposed. I want to tile half way up the wall,...

Replace P-trap with drum trap--good idea? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have a large crack in a cast iron waste line. The line at that point serves just the kitchen sink and is vented to the roof. The first plumber I called wants to disconnect the P-trap, install a drum trap, drill through the cabinet and floor, and connect to the waste line down below the crack....

P-trap GAP - p-trap too low to meet sink drain extension [ 13 Answers ]

I just took an old crane drexel sink off the wall and replaced it for the time being ( I want to fix the older sink) with a cheap vanity/sink set. All that was easy enough, but now to my chagrin I can't finish the job. The p trap is too low, the extension pipe from the sink doesn't go all...

View more questions Search