Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    johnlayell Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2010, 03:14 PM
    I replaced mowing deck belt on mtd 42 in. deck with correct part no. now the belt I
    I replaced mower deck belts on two MTD riding mowers, 38" & 42" decks. Both belts I used the correct part nos. according to the owners manual. Both belts seem to be too short. The decks stay partly engaged, making the motor hard to start. Once started, the decks have to be engaged, if not engaged they smoke and burn. All belts I have found are made in Mexico. Could there be a size difference?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2010, 12:50 AM

Model numbers of lawn equip, and model of belt bought.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Apr 16, 2010, 12:10 PM

Hi,
    If the lift and engagement is all on one lever, then it may be that the shaft that operates the engagement has been bent because the deck has caught on the front on something during use. The ferrule on the threaded rod can be adjusted to pull the deck forward more to disengage it. If it does not disengage fully, it has the belt pulling against the brake pads that stop the spindles.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Murray 36" Mowing Deck Belt Diagram [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2003 Murray riding mower, model #3-36508, manufactured 08/03. I broke the mowing deck belt and need a diagram in order to be able to install the replacement belt I bought. This deck has three pullies on it and there is one under the engine too. I found a diagram for one with 4 pulleys,...

How to install a mowing deck belt [ 5 Answers ]

I have a Dynamark tractor, also known as a Dinosaur tractor, with a 36 inch mowing deck. The belt broke because a spindle cracked and had to be replaced. Now I have no idea how to reinstall the belt. The latest attempt made the clutch work backwards but the blades would not cut. Does anyone have...

I need to replace my deck belt on my troybilt 17hr. 42' deck belt diagram [ 4 Answers ]

I need to replace my deck belt on troybilt 17hr. 42' riding lawnmover. Be nice to have a diagram

John Deere mowing deck belt replacement [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a diagram or instructions available for the replacing of the drive belt on the mower deck os a John Deere lawn tractor?

View more questions Search