Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    addicted13 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2010, 11:26 AM
    Crossing Double Yellow line
    I was traveling on a 2 lane highway separated by a double yellow line. It was a straight road with no other cars but me and a big rig. I passed the big rig and got pulled over by CHP that was apparently sitting on the side of the road. He wrote me up under VC 21655.5 which from what I can tell has to deal with carpool lanes. Being a 2 lane highway there were no carpool lanes. It seems to me I should have been written up for VC 21655.8. Does anyone know if I am correct on this? Thanks.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 14, 2010, 11:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by addicted13 View Post
    ... He wrote me up under VC 21655.5 ...
    We get questions from all over the planet. VC is, I assume, the statutes (V____ "Code") of your jurisdiction. Which one? Virginia perhaps?

Or "vehicle code" maybe?

Apr 14, 2010, 11:44 AM

Oh, sorry. VC is vehicle code and It was in California.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 14, 2010, 11:53 AM
    ... It seems to me I should have been written up for VC 21655.8. Does anyone know if I am correct on this? Thanks.
    21655.8. (a) Except as required under subdivision (b), when
    exclusive or preferential use lanes for high-occupancy vehicles are
    Established pursuant to Section 21655.5 and double parallel solid
    Lines are in place to the right thereof, no person driving a vehicle
    may cross over these double lines to enter into or exit from the
    Exclusive or preferential use lanes, and entrance or exit may be made
    Only in areas designated for these purposes or where a single broken
    Line is in place to the right of the exclusive or preferential use
    Lanes.
    (b) Upon the approach of an authorized emergency vehicle
    Displaying a red light or siren, as specified in Section 21806, a
    Person driving a vehicle in an exclusive or preferential use lane
    Shall exit that lane immediately upon determining that the exit can
    Be accomplished with reasonable safety.
    (c) Raised pavement markers may be used to simulate painted lines
    Described in this section.
    It looks like this section is the wrong one too.

But I think they will be able to amend the ticket to the correct section, if that's what you are getting at.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2010, 11:54 AM
    I was traveling on a 2 lane highway separated by a double yellow line. It was a straight road with no other cars but me and a big rig. I passed the big rig and got pulled over by CHP that was apparently sitting on the side of the road. He wrote me up under VC 21655.5 which from what I can tell has to deal with carpool lanes. Being a 2 lane highway there were no carpool lanes. It seems to me I should have been written up for VC 21655.8. Does anyone know if I am correct on this? Thanks.
    I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you trying to get the ticket dismissed on the grounds that it was improperly written?

Is it possible the officer has sloppy handwriting and wrote the ticket properly, yet his handwriting makes it appear that the code is improper?

Apr 14, 2010, 01:11 PM

I was told in traffic school once that if the officer wrote the wrong VC down you can get out of the ticket. Was not that sloppy of writing that you can't understand that's what he wrote.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2010, 01:19 PM
    I was told in traffic school once that if the officer wrote the wrong VC down you can get out of the ticket. Was not that sloppy of writing that you can't understand thats what he wrote.
    Well, either the law is totally different in California or whoever told you that isn't the brightest bulb in the box. People make mistakes. If an officer misspells someone's name on a citation, that doesn't void the citation or change the fact that the person being cited broke the law.

Personally, I think your best option would be to contact the prosecuting attorney. Try to arrange a deal to get it reduced as much as possible, preferably to a non-moving violation. Of course, this will be easier to attempt if you have a clean driving record; if you're a habitual offender, they'll be less inclined to cut you a deal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Richard Harris 70's film, taking place inside of mansion, lots of double crossing. [ 1 Answers ]

Trying to remember name of 70"s film with Richard Harris movie that was shot inside of a mansion as he and basically 1 other actor schemed and double crossed each other with disguises, etc Thanks.

I backed into a parked car who was park on double yellow lines! [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I'm in the UK and my question is this... Not me actually... But I'm the one who's paying the insurance my partner backed out of our drive into a car that was park on double yellow lines thus block access if it was fire engine who had been through this would be different! But my debate is this....

Yellow color line disply at monitor [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have Samsung lcd monitor my problem is when I start system a yellow color line(up to down) is displayed at left side of the monitor. Please help me to solve this problem . Thanks, Chaitanya

Crossing state line [ 3 Answers ]

I have a current question on this matter posted already, but this one is more directed on rights of a parent in jail. Does one parent have the rights to take a baby across state line even though there has been no divorce or sepration filed with the courts, while she is in jail? *she doesn't even...

View more questions Search