Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    furnacetroubles Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2006, 08:36 PM
    Ductwork squeak
    Hello. I have never asked a question on this forum before, so I apologize if I do not follow convention. About 3 days ago, I noticed a squeak coming from what appears to be my heating ductwork only when the furnace is on. The squeak seems to be about 1 second long and occurs approximately every 3 seconds. It is not a very loud squeak, but is very regular and occurs whenever the furnace is on. Although it is quite hard to tell exactly where it is coming from (since it seems to echo throughout the ductwork) I think it is loudest at the side of my basement farthest from my furnace. So it seems to be coming from the ductwork, not the furnace; however I don't know what could be inside a duct that could cause it to squeak. Any information would be greatly appreciated. My home is only about 15 years old and I have only lived in it for about 2 years. I had my furnace inspected and "tuned-up" by a professional about 3 months ago prior to winter and he said there were no problems present.

Thank you for any help you may be able to provide.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 4, 2006, 11:16 AM
    Blower should be looked at to see if it needs lubrication.
    squeakingdrivesmecrazy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2007, 10:38 AM
    Hi furnacetroubles,

Would you mind telling me if lubricating the blower cured your squeak? We're having what sounds like the same problem except that the squeak can only be heard in the room directly above the furnace, not in the furnace room itself.

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search