Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2010, 11:54 PM
    Too Old to Learn Math?
    Hi, All!

Okay, I hate to admit it. But, I'm definitely getting middle aged here. Actually feel kind of elderly with the numerous health problems that I've had over the past year. But, I'll get over those...

I've never been good at math. I think that it's because I never really tried that hard at it, though.

I've also heard that the ones who make the major contributions in the mathematics field have been under the age of 30.

Too old to learn higher mathematics skills now? I don't know...

Opinions, please?

Thanks!
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2010, 03:29 AM

No, it is certainly not too late. Like anything else, it is best to start young, but this does not mean you can not learn math. I did not start until I was over 30. Now, I have my Masters in Applied Math. Do we expect to make some Earth-shattering contribution like solving the Riemann Hypothesis? Of course not. But one should never say, "I am too old now". That is not a good way to look at things.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 14, 2010, 05:51 AM
    Nope, never too late. I couldn't add 2+2 unless my shoes and socks were off when I was in school. I went to college at the age of 38 and had to start with basic math. I am now... much older, and can do complicated medication dosage calculations with ease.

Sometimes I think, for some of us, we are more focused the older we get. We can analyze better, and our critical thinking skills are more honed.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2010, 06:01 AM
    With the advent of very good distance learning methods and free lessons the option to learn is easier than ever. In school it was a structured environment, as an adult at home it's all about self-discipline.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 14, 2010, 06:21 AM

Clough - I would recommend that you go to the book store (do they still exist?) or library, or visit your favorite on-line book seller, and look for one or two books in the math & sciences section that are about mathematics but are not real technical. Don't buy a text book like you had in high school, but rather narratives that talk about calculus, or number theory, or probability, and see if you (a) can get through it, and (b) does it make you eager to learn a little more. A few that I have enjoyed are:

1. "A tour of the Calculus" by Berlinski
    2, "Fermat's Last Theorem" by Simon Singh
    3. "The Code Book", also by Singh

A couple of others to consider:
    "The Drunkard's Walk - How Randomness Rules Our Lives" by Mlodinow
    "Zero - the Biography of a Dangerous Idea" by Seife

These all are pretty good at describing concepts for dabblers, and not too heavy on jargon. See what you think.
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2010, 12:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by galactus View Post
    No, it is certainly not too late. Like anything else, it is best to start young, but this does not mean you can not learn math. I did not start until I was over 30. Now, I have my Masters in Applied Math. Do we expect to make some Earth-shattering contribution like solving the Riemann Hypothesis?. Of course not. But one should never say, "I am too old now". That is not a good way to look at things.
    Hi, galactus!

You're a case in point, here! Didn't start until you were over 30 and now have a Masters degree in it?

I just go with what I had previously heard though...

You're truly an inspiration!

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2010, 12:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Nope, never too late. I couldn't add 2+2 unless my shoes and socks were off when I was in school. I went to college at the age of 38 and had to start with basic math. I am now... much older, and can do complicated medication dosage calculations with ease.

Sometimes I think, for some of us, we are more focused the older we get. We can analyze better, and our critical thinking skills are more honed.
    I think that you're very correct with the above statement, J_9!

With all of my musical training and practice, I am more focused and can do the other things that you mentioned much better!

Just need to get started on the math stuff... That's part of the problem!
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2010, 12:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    With the advent of very good distance learning methods and free lessons the option to learn is easier than ever. In school it was a structured environment, as an adult at home it's all about self-discipline.
    Hi, NK!

Agreed with all you write! Also, yes, it's all about self-discipline...

So, who would be willing to get me started with learning math here?
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2010, 12:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    Clough - I would recommend that you go to the book store (do they still exist?) or library, or visit your favorite on-line book seller, and look for one or two books in the math & sciences section that are about mathematics but are not real technical. Don't buy a text book like you had in high school, but rather narratives that talk about calculus, or number theory, or probability, and see if you (a) can get through it, and (b) does it make you eager to learn a little more. A few that I have enjoyed are:

1. "A tour of the Calculus" by Berlinski
    2, "Fermat's Last Theorem" by Simon Singh
    3. "The Code Book", also by Singh

A couple of others to consider:
    "Zero - the Biography of a Dangerous Idea" by Seife

These all are pretty good at describing concepts for dabblers, and not too heavy on jargon. See what you think.
    Hi, ebaines!

I actually do have math books at home. But, they're so ponderoso that it's incredibly hard to get through them!

What the heck is the above about, please?

Please keep in mind, that I'm basically an addition, subtraction, multiplication and division kind of guy at this point.

Did horribly at algebra. Didn't really have any discipline to do it nor a desire. But, that was a long time ago. Now is now...

Would really like to explore the higher mathematics, though.

Thanks!
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2010, 12:49 PM

I had to take a statistics class recently in school to meet a transfer requirement. There happened to be a lot of middle aged mothers that had gone back to school and were in the same class with me. Even though they all said math wasn't their strong suit and talked about how they'd been out of school for a long time, they always seemed to do better on all of the tests and homework than any of the younger students in the class, myself included. I think since you're interested in it, you'd be more likely to be self disciplined enough to study and do just fine.
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2010, 12:53 PM
    I am interested in it! It's just a matter of how to go about getting into and learning it...

I think that it would be amazing if something like this type of learning could be done at my age!
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2010, 12:57 PM

Are there any adult education classes or a community college you could enroll in in your area? My school has a special part in our course catalog with classes specifically meant for adults just looking to take classes just to take them (instead of to get a degree or transfer to a 4 year)
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 14, 2010, 12:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi, ebaines!

I actually do have math books at home. But, they're so ponderoso that it's incredibly hard to get through them!

What the heck is the above about, please?
    These are not pondeorus to get through, which is why I suggested them. They can introduce you to concepts using conversational english rather than math-heavy formulas and jargon.

The drunkard's walk (also called "the drunk and the lamp post") is a classic example of how the outcome of a series of random events can be expected to fall within a certain range. Imagine you have a drunk leaning against a lamp post. He then starts stumbling around taking steps to the left, or the right, or forwards or backwards in a perfectly random way. Is it possible to predict where he is likely to be after 4 steps, or 10, or 1000? Turns out that there is indeed an expected area that he would be in after 1000 steps that is much closer to the lamp post than you might think. In fact, he will tend to return to the area of the lamp post time and time again as he stumbles about. The lamp post represent his mean (or average) position, and the width of the area he covers is related to the concept of standard deviation. This is an example of how the concepts of probability and statistics can be illustrated in a way that is easy to understand without a lot of equations and homework problems..
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2010, 01:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by justcurious55 View Post
    are there any adult education classes or a community college you could enroll in in your area? my school has a special part in our course catalog with classes specifically meant for adults just looking to take classes just to take them (instead of to get a degree or transfer to a 4 year)
    Would just really like to learn it on my own, justcurious55. Can't really afford to even take community college courses right now. Although, I would like to be able to do that!
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2010, 01:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    These are not pondeorus to get through, which is why I suggested them. They can introduce you to concepts using conversational english rather than math-heavy formulas and jargon.

The drunkard's walk (also called "the drunk and the lamp post") is a classic example of how the outcome of a series of random events can be expeced to fall within a certain range. Imagine you have a drunk leaning against a lamp post. He then starts stumbling around taking steps to the left, or the right, or forwards or backwards in a perfectly random way. Is it possible to predict where he is likely to be after 4 steps, or 10, or 1000? Turns out that there is indeed an expected area that he would be in after 1000 steps that is much closer to the lamp post than you might think. In fact, he will tend to return to the area of the lamp post time and time again as he stumbles about. The lamp post represent his mean (or average) positon, and the width of the area he covers is related to the concept of standard deviation. This is an example of how the concepts of probability and statistics can be illustrated in a way that is easy to understand without a lot of equations and homework problems..
    I will "check out" the books that you've mentioned, ebaines!

It just seems like such a daunting task to try to learn these things again...
    ohsohappy Posts: 1,564, Reputation: 314
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2010, 01:23 PM

Sometimes if you can get simple books, you can have someone who does know get you headed in the right direction.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 14, 2010, 01:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    I am.
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2010, 07:46 PM
    Originally Posted by Clough
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I am.
    Okay, then let's go! :)

Thanks!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 14, 2010, 07:48 PM

Do you know your times tables to 12x12, instant answer without thinking?
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2010, 07:51 PM

You can do it Clough... I know you can... Hugs

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

To take math or not to take math? Warning:long [ 7 Answers ]

Hey I need some advice. I'm currently a high school junior, and I am HOPELESS at mathematics. I've always managed to scrape by with 65s, and trust me its not lack of effort, I try really hard. All my other grades are over 90s, with the exception of sciences which are in the high 80s. Last year I...

Best ways to learn math other then paper and book [ 1 Answers ]

I want to explore other possibilities for me to improve my math skills. I'm already well familiar with the book, paper, and pencil way. I want to know other ways. I'm in 7th grade this year. I want to start learning quadratic equations. What are some good websites on them? Thanks in advance! :)

I need math skills on this math problems [ 6 Answers ]

81 divided by 3726.83 divided by 3158

Where dose a 35 year old start do learn math and sci. [ 4 Answers ]

I am changing careers and my new path requires allot of math. I am on my way to 38 years old and work shift so I can not take classes on a regular bases. I have a family and other commitments. I am committed to learning and am eager to start although it will be a long process as I am surly...

View more questions Search