Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Melissa Benson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2006, 07:17 PM
    10yr old getting period
    Hello, I am a mum in Australia who has just found out that her daughter Emma, has just got her period. She is only 10yrs old. Don't know what the normal age is in the states but over here it is normally between 10-14yrs. As I have not spent much time talking to her re this( was going to do this over our summer- December) I would be interested to know if anyone has had this type of situation and most importantly, how you deal with it. Emma is confused as all her friends have not experienced this yet . I have now found myself in a single situation after 19 years of marriage, Have 2 older boys Andrew (16) and Nick (13) who are lovely boys but have know idea how to react to this.
    Would welcome anyone's comments regarding this.
    Kind regards
    Melissa
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 3, 2006, 07:30 PM
    Melissa,

The best thing you can do is to welcome your daughter into womanhood. Your boys don't even need to know about this. This is yours and your daughter's business.

Girls are reaching the age of menstruation much younger these days. Just let her know that this is normal and natural.

Mine just started this summer in July. However, I prepared her for this for several years.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 3, 2006, 07:38 PM
    Yes, I am sorry you did not discuss this with her a couple of years ago, so it would not "hit" her by surprise, often this happening can be so scary for girls who are not properly informed.

But you just explain to her the facts, and let her move on, for the girls at school, it is just a sign she is getting more mature than the others, and if it is a issue most likely they will wish they can be like her.

Just be honest and loving
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 3, 2006, 08:06 PM
    I want to reiterate that this is not something the boys should even comment on. They should be taught that this is a private issue for females. That it's a natural part of a female's development. But its not a topic of discussion.

Your daughter should also be told that its private but nothing to be ashamed of. Explain that it's a natural part of growing up and that some girls develop faster than others. Just be sure to make it a positive thing.
    Yankeesfans2 Posts: 13, Reputation: 4

Dec 16, 2006, 10:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Melissa Benson
    Hello, I am a mum in Australia who has just found out that her daughter Emma, has just got her period. She is only 10yrs old. Dont know what the normal age is in the states but over here it is normally between 10-14yrs. As I have not spent much time talking to her re this( was going to do this over our summer- December) I would be interested to know if anyone has had this type of situation and most importantly, how you deal with it. Emma is confused as all her friends have not experienced this yet . I have now found myself in a single situation after 19 years of marriage, Have 2 older boys Andrew (16) and Nick (13) who are lovely boys but have know idea how to react to this.
    Would welcome anyones comments regarding this.
    Kind regards
    Melissa
    My friends daughter got hers at 9 years old, far before her classmates. She just made it very special did mom and daughter day and explained as much as she thought her daughter would understand. Funny part it happened the only night of the week she worked and her husband was home with the kids, so he called her to get home right away! lol... Her other daughter is now 12 and still hasn't gotten hers, so I guess it depends on family history also since a lot of the girls in her family got them early. Good Luck! I have a 4 year old and can wait until those days come, potty training was hard enough!
    cejasmom Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2006, 08:34 PM
    I am from the US and I myself got my first period shortly before my 10th birthday. For me personally, it seems to run in my family ( the early age). I knew what it was, but my mother was petrified! I think you should be open while talking about this to your children. No one should be ashamed or embarrassed, it's a natural thing that happens to all of us. I found that when my girlfriends got it, they just came to me and asked me questions, which made me feel helpful and important, not ashamed in the least... I hope this helps you!
    addy Posts: 207, Reputation: 6

Dec 20, 2006, 08:50 PM
    Like they said , it can come early(not bad)my best friend got hers when she was 9! Just explain to her the basics, and I 'm not saying anything, but as soon as I got mine, my mom got me on birth control, not because I was loose(I know what you're thinking,she's 10 !She isn't sexually active, buit I have heard of an eleven year old having twins)but because some things can happen.I mean , if something did happen, you would want her to be protected, wouldn't you? Please don't take this in the wrong way, but I hate to hear when a young girl gets pregnant, even if it is n't her fault.I hope I helped!I am not saying that your daughter is sexualy active, but it isb't going to hurt to be safe.
    chuff Posts: 3,397, Reputation: 1235
    Ultra Member

Dec 24, 2006, 09:31 AM
    Not really advice but I read an article like 3 or 4 years ago that said because of advancements in food technology in the last 120 years (ie refrigeration, stove, microwave) and advances in health and health care the age of puberty has started earlier for both females and males statistically speaking over the same course of time.
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Dec 24, 2006, 10:35 AM
    Some people think the decrease in the average age of puberty is related to the introduction of electric lights, as well as nutritional improvement. There's some evidence that in animals, it's photo-period sensitive, because it happens earlier at higher latitudes where day length varies more.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Period [ 1 Answers ]

Is having a light and short period normal? If not what are they caused by?

Period or something else? [ 2 Answers ]

My husband & I have been trying to get pregnant for the last 4 months but have not been successful as of yet. I am on day 28 of my cycle & have had a VERY light brown discharge ONLY when I wipe myself after the toilet. This has been occurring for the last 48 hours, its not getting worse & I have NO...

About My period [ 2 Answers ]

I usually start my period on or rught around the 19/20 th of the month, however, I have not started this month. Is it possible that if I had intercourse on the 13th that I got pregnant and it caused my period not to start? And if so, is it possible that it won't show up in a urine test yet?

Period [ 3 Answers ]

2 period in 1 month both light with pink/brown blood. I also had cramping. Could I be pregnant

View more questions Search