Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2010, 02:10 PM
    Using Sea Salt for Cooking and Baking. Okay or Not?
    Hi, All!

I had heard that it was much better to use regular table salt rather than the sea salt for cooking and baking.

Opinions, please?

Thanks!
    ROLCAM Posts: 1,420, Reputation: 23
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2010, 06:42 PM

It is the other way round.
    Sea salt is the best.
    I originate from Malta.
    We capture the sea salt in salt pans that are dried by the sun.
    You are aware that human beings cannot survive without intake of salt.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2010, 06:45 PM

From my understanding, sea salt is better than the regular table salt that we mainly use. I use it whenever possible.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 13, 2010, 06:49 PM

We changed over to almost 100 percent sea salt several years ago
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2010, 06:49 PM

Hello Clough:

I don't know if better is the right word. For sure, it's more accurate. That's because sea salt takes up about twice as much space as table salt. Therefore, if the recipe calls for 2 tsp's of salt, it takes 4 tsp's of sea and/or kosher salt.

Other than that, it's the same stuff.

excon
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2010, 08:55 PM

I use sea salt coarse and sea salt fine and regular (Morten) table salt. I also use Kosher salt. Sea salt does not contain iodide, which I understand is a necessary nutrient.

My fine (from the Pacific ocean) is the same consistency of regular table salt. The coarse I buy is usually from the Mediterranean. Not because I prefer it, but because that's what is available to me.
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2010, 09:22 PM
    So, the consensus of opinion here would be that sea salt is fine for cooking and baking and is preferred over regular table salt for those purposes?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 13, 2010, 09:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Dahlia View Post
    Sea salt does not contain iodide, which I understand is a necessary nutrient.
    Iodine is a necessry nutrient, but we get plenty of that in our regular diet without adding salt. Sea salt does not have iodine and is preferred over table salt for people with certain health conditions such as high blood pressure or underactive thyroid.
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2010, 10:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Iodine is a necessry nutrient, but we get plenty of that in our regular diet without adding salt. Sea salt does not have iodine and is preferred over table salt for people with certain health conditions such as high blood pressure or underactive thyroid.
    My container says 'iodide' is that the same as iodine?:confused:
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 13, 2010, 10:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Dahlia View Post
    My container says 'iodide' is that the same as iodine?:confused:
    Without going into a lengthy chemistry lesson... ;)

Iodine and its compounds are primarily used in medicine, photography, and dyes. Iodine is rare in the solar system and Earth's crust; however, the iodides are very soluble in water and the element concentrates in seawater, where it occurs in greater concentrations than in rocks.
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Apr 13, 2010, 10:47 PM

I've seen recipes that actually called for sea salt.
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2010, 11:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hheath541 View Post
    I've seen recipes that actually called for sea salt.
    What kind of recipes, please?

Thanks!
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Apr 14, 2010, 09:29 AM

I don't remember. Just, recipes.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2010, 09:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    What kind of recipes, please?

Thanks!
    Here's about 212 of them :)
    Allrecipes - Ingredient Search
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2010, 05:11 PM

I use Celtic Sea Salt on and in everything. I've used for 4 years now exclusively - even baking with it. I do not use additional salt to compensate for the denseness of the sea salt. Not necessary. The taste of the sea salt is much superior to "land salt". It actually has a flavor to it that I like. I also tend to use less of it as it has a satisfying taste that regular salt does not have. I have a special sea salt grinder that is made to handle the moist sea salt.
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2010, 05:20 PM
    Hi, twinky!

Celtic? Moist? Please explain?

Is Celtic somehow different? Also, I've never encountered moist sea salt.

Thanks!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2010, 05:27 PM

Clough, my dear, you must try the moist sea salt. It's the Celtic Sea Salt from France. It is packed by the Celtic Sea Salt Society and is naturally moist. It is also light grey in color. I get the coarse and put that through my salt grinder/mill. There is also another sea salt from these folks that is called Flower of the Sea. It's a tad expensive but it has a unique taste to it.

Here is their website: Celtic Sea SaltŪ Brand Salt - The Original Gourmet, Certified Kosher Sea Salt

The other sea salt is "dry" and does not taste the same. This is the only salt I've used now for 4 years. One pound lasts me almost a year! You can also get the mill/grinder from these people as well.
    twinkie15 Posts: 21, Reputation: 2

May 7, 2010, 04:27 PM

Sea salt is better because it brings out a lot more flavor and when baking with it also brings a lot of flavor and it helps it rise. And it fleshes out of your body faster and it cleans your insides.
    Uber Member

May 7, 2010, 09:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    Clough, my dear, you must try the moist sea salt. It's the Celtic Sea Salt from France. It is packed by the Celtic Sea Salt Society and is naturally moist. It is also light grey in color. I get the coarse and put that thru my salt grinder/mill. There is also another sea salt from these folks that is called Flower of the Sea. It's a tad expensive but it has a unique taste to it.

Here is their website: Celtic Sea SaltŪ Brand Salt - The Original Gourmet, Certified Kosher Sea Salt

The other sea salt is "dry" and does not taste the same. This is the only salt I've used now for 4 years. One pound lasts me almost a year!! You can also get the mill/grinder from these people as well.
    I'll see if I can find some of those kinds of sea salt around where I live!

Thanks, twinkiedooter! :)
    Uber Member

May 7, 2010, 09:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkie15 View Post
    sea salt is better because it brings out alot more flavor and when baking with it also brings alot of flavor and it helps it rise. and it fleshes out of your body faster and it cleans your insides.
    Thanks for the information, twinkie15! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why sea water salt [ 1 Answers ]

Why sea water salt

Why the sea water is salt [ 1 Answers ]

Why the sea water is salt

Unsweetened baking chocolate vs. Cooking chocolate [ 2 Answers ]

Chocolate crinkle american recipe calls for unsweetened baking chocolate but can't find any in australia. Is "cooking chocolate" which looks like milk chocolate make much difference? Should I use dark chocolate or just cut the 2 cups of granulated sugar also required in the recipe?:rolleyes: ...

Is it OK to us iodized sea salt to soak my belly piercing? [ 1 Answers ]

I just got my belly piercied about 5 days ago and I'm scared that it will get infected and I don't know what to do... ppl say that alcohol and hydrogen proxide water don't help heal it but can I us iodized sea salt to soak it?

View more questions Search