Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ageless_hippiechick Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2010, 12:13 PM
    Reporting severance to disability insurer
    This is a question for anyone who has been laid off whilst receiving disability benefits through short or long term disability insurance, or, perhaps a labor attorney.

If a person is laid off during an active disability claim period, must s/he report any severance pay to the disability insurer? If the payment is reported, will benefits be reduced?

Thanks in advance for your knowledgeable input.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 13, 2010, 03:59 PM

Laid off, when on disability?

If you are on disability you are not working, if you are not working, you can't be laid off till you return to work

Can you explain this better
    ageless_hippiechick Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2010, 04:26 PM

Hi, Fr. Chuck. Thanks for taking a stab at this one.

I am on a short term disability leave from my position. While on that leave, the position itself was terminated. That leaves me severed from the position. The company has offered me a lump sum severance. The disability insurerer requires that I report weekly income and they define income sources. One of the sources they define - the only one that is close - is salary continuance. However, my understanding is that a lump sum severance is not a salary continuance, it is more like a bonus. Bonus payments are specifically excluded from reporting requirements. I just want to make sure that I'm not splitting hairs at the risk of losing my benefits.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

On disability need 401k will disability be lessened if we need to buy primary residen [ 1 Answers ]

I'm on state disability filing for social security disability,need to request my 401k (and pay 20% TAXES)to purchase a primary residence (loosing home ,like to buy larger size boat to live on) will I be fined or penilized for this (as if this were a income)its hard enough to live on disability as...

Reporting tenants to Credit Reporting Agencies [ 4 Answers ]

If tenants do not pay the rent in the state of Georgia, can you report them to the credit reporting agencies?

Insurance settlement due from bankrupt insurer [ 2 Answers ]

We are about to reach a claim settlement with our insurer, AIG. As of today, AIG is reportedly about to file bankruptcy. Will we collect this agreed settlement if: 1.) we agree and sign-off on a settlement and THEN AIG files before they actually pay? Or 2.) we delay signing off on this...

View more questions Search