Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Baird Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2010, 04:49 AM
    Why is my freezer not defrosting on ge side by side
    We have a GE frost-free side by side refrigerator with ice maker. It's 5 years old but for the past year+ we've been having problems with the freezer building up frost around the inside, and then the refrigerator doesn't get cold. I have to unplug everything, take the shelves out of the freezer and then blow-dry it sometimes twice a month, and then the refrigerator gets cold again. I saw a response to someone with a similar problem stating that the defrost element or defrost thermostat was probably faulty. Is that the same thing as the coil? If so, what would cause it to go out again so quickly? The seals around both the freezer and the fridge side are fine, so that can't be what's causing the problem. I've removed any dust buildup both under and on the back of the fridge. I'm not sure what keeps causing it to go bad.
    applguy Posts: 324, Reputation: 23

Apr 15, 2010, 06:57 PM
    There are 3 main components to a self-defrosting refrigerators defrost system. Timer, heater and termination thermostat. Any of these, when failed, would cause your condition. I would want to make sure you understand that melting the frost from the system doesn't "fix" anything. It simply restores airflow to the fresh food compartment. Usually a refrigerator will defrost once every day. If the defrost system isn't working, the frost simply continues to build until the air can't move through. GE refrigerators that frost over are almost always open defrost heaters. Sometimes the heater system includes the termination thermostat, but sometimes it doesn't. If you remove all the shelves and then the evaporator cover (that's the "rear panel" inside the freezer), you will find the defrost heater (or heaters; sometimes there are 2) at the bottom of the evaporator coil. If the glass tube is black and burned-looking on the inside, then that's probably your culprit. You could attain a new defrost heater from a local servicer. That would probably be your best bet, as they may have the part in stock locally, thus ending your refrigerator woes sooner. Let me know if you have further questions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water leaking at bottom of freezer door on Maytag side by side refrigerator [ 1 Answers ]

We had water leaking from the bottom of our freezer and took the back panel off and melted the ice that had built up and opened the drain so the water freely ran out. We put the freezer back together and found that now the line going up the door to our water dispenser was leaking. Will this stop...

GE side-by-side refrigerator frost-free freezer coils has 1/2" ice [ 0 Answers ]

GE side by side refrigerator; frost-free freezer freezes up. I have a GE frost-free side by side refrigerator with ice maker. It's 7 years old but for the past six months I have been having problems with the freezer building up frost around the inside coils, and then the refrigerator doesn't get...

Fridge part warm on whirlpool side by side.freezer and blower fine. [ 1 Answers ]

Turned defrost timer off than on. Does this mean that is not the problem?

Whirlpool Side by Side Rerigerator. Freezer defrosting [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 4 year old Whirlpool Side by Side Refrigerator, today the freezer started to defrost for no reason.. I cleaned the coils & removed all the food, I can hear the motor running, it's been a few hours & it doesn't seem to be cooling properly... anything else I should check?

Maytag Side-by-Side Freezer ice buildup on floor of freezer [ 1 Answers ]

I have a five year old Maytag side-by-side #MSD2754GR. I have had this problem for the last four years and have cleaned out the clogged drain plug each year myself. Seems that the ice buildup is coming somewhere else since water is not dripping down the back. Yes, it is humid and we are using...

View more questions Search