Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ames Posts: 14, Reputation: 3

Dec 3, 2006, 06:04 PM
    What can I use 4 Baking Weights? +Custard Tart Recipe
    See Recipe below..

Hi There :) Can some kind person pass on an idea for what I can use to weigh down pastry when baking a pie shell? The recipe says to use cooking beans but I don't have any.. Could I possibly use rice or something?
    Many thanks,
    Ames..
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2006, 07:48 PM
    Hi there,

Rice may not be heavy enough when baking a pie shell. The dry pinto beans or navy beans works really well, even dry kidney beans work. Perhaps others have some tips for you. Good luck!

Dec 3, 2006, 08:07 PM
    What do you think about putting a layer of stewed apple under the Custard of a Custard Tart - Do you think the layers would seep?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2006, 08:16 PM
    It sounds interesting. If the stewed apples were really juicy it might seep. Worth a try. I experiment witth baking and cooking. Just ask my kids! Lol. We have had some interesting foods.

Dec 3, 2006, 08:25 PM
    Sounds like fun! Think I might try draining the apples really well first - Would you like the recipe? :)

Dec 3, 2006, 08:50 PM
    You're welcome! - Here goes..

Servings: 6
    Level of difficulty: Intermediate
    Preparation Time: 20 minutes
    Cooking Time: 1 hour

Ingredients
    For the pastry
    250g plain flour
    100g unsalted butter
    2 eggs
    100g icing sugar
    4 drops vanilla extract

For the custard
    480ml whipping cream
    6 egg yolks
    70g caster sugar
    1 vanilla pod, split
    Ground nutmeg

Method
    1. Pre-heat oven to 180C/gas 4.

2. Mix flour and butter to a breadcrumb consistency.

3. Beat the eggs, icing sugar and vanilla extract together in a bowl and add this into the mix.

4. Stir until the ingredients have combined together to form a ball. Do not over work. Wrap mix in cling film. Leave to rest in the fridge for 1 hour, then remove.

5. On a lightly floured surface, roll the pastry out to 5mm thick and use it to line a greased 25cm tart ring. Cover with baking parchment, fill with baking beans and bake 'blind' for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven, discard the baking beans and turn down the heat to 160C/gas 2.

6. In a saucepan, bring the whipping cream to the boil with the split vanilla pod. Whisk together the egg yolks and caster sugar before pouring the cream onto them, stirring continually. Pass through a sieve and add a small amount of grated nutmeg.

+ THINK I'LL ADD A LAYER OF OUR STEWED APPLES HERE..

7a. Spoon a small layer of well drained, stewed apples over the base of tart shell.

7b. Pour the mix into the tart shell and bake on the middle shelf of the over for 30 - 40 minutes or until the custard appears set but not too firm.

8. Turn the tart out onto a plate and serve.

... Not sure how the apples will go but we'll give it a go - Something nice for desert for the hubby tonight...
    winkies6 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2006, 05:13 PM
    Go with tinfoil and then beans on top of that. Just don't try to cook the beans laster for dinner. They'll be totally gross! You can keep the beans for the next time you need some pie weights. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bero Flour Baking book uk [ 8 Answers ]

I am wanting a copy of the Bero Flour Uk Baking book can you help me obtain this book I live in Melbourne Australia,I am happy to pay the cost of book and postage. Thanks Fiona Howat.

Weights with Injuries? [ 2 Answers ]

I recently injured my knee in sports, and I don't think I can do squats or any major leg training for a fair few monthes. So iv'e decided to concentrate on my upper body for the time being. Does anyone know any good strength endurance training methods for bench press and the like? ...

Weights [ 4 Answers ]

Is it better to lift lift 2 weights (free) at the same time or to alternate arms with the weights?

Baking with whole-wheat pastry flourl [ 1 Answers ]

I read in a Health Magazine that you can replace the white flour with whole wheat pastry flour in most baking recipies, I have tried some cookies and both batches came out very flat, do I need to add baking powder or gluten? What am I doing wrong? ::)

View more questions Search