Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tlharp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2010, 03:46 AM
    Can I convert a prehung outswing front door to an inswing door?
    We are remodling our house and we needed to replace the front door. We live in Florida and because of building code changes it is hard to find a prehung inswing front door. By mistake we bought a prehung outswing door. We were going to install it as an outswing but we have a rollout storm shutter installed around the front door and the door would not open all the way so we installed it as an inswing door. We have concerns about the threshold sealing properly and keeping water out. Is there a way to turn the threshold around and make it fit correctly? Or can we replace the threshold with a different one?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 13, 2010, 08:26 AM

Put a square on the bottom edge of the door, it is likely not a 90 degree angle between the face of the door and the bottom edge. Most doors have a beveled bottom to help them seal on the threshold.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Apr 21, 2010, 10:04 AM

Why would anyone want the hinges on outside. Make door easier to remove for people to get in. Generally people u don't want to get in.

U may be able to change door jamb to a swing in and use the new door.

Chuck
    robira13 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2012, 08:20 PM
    Umm, exterior hinges (on outswing doors) are security hinges. You can't just pop them off.
    robira13 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2012, 08:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by creahands View Post
    Why would anyone want the hinges on outside. Make door easier to remove for people to get in. Generally people you don't want to get in.

U may be able to change door jamb to a swing in and use the new door.

Chuck

Umm, exterior hinges (on outswing doors) are security hinges. You can't just pop them off.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2012, 08:48 PM
    Why not return the door? It would be easier then reworking the door and frame

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Convert wall opening to door [ 6 Answers ]

I would like to convert 3 ft X 3 Ft opening on a wall to a doorway. There is a metal post coming through the sub floor to the steel "I" beam on the basement. This post is inside the wall adjacent to this opening. There is about a feet of wall above this opening; and about 4 feet of wall below...

Door Knob in center of front door [ 6 Answers ]

Does anyone know of a resource for replacement parts for my specialty front door. The knob is located in the center of the door with a bird theme metal plate surrounding the knob - door is 35 7/8 wide - I would like to replace the knob - the hardware still works fine, I just need a compatible knob....

Outlet @ front door [ 3 Answers ]

OK I have an outlet @ our front door and one switch is for the light on the front (closed in porch) and the one next to it we have no idea what it's for.There is outlets on the front porch but that's not for them either.We have no lamp post outfront either. Is their away I can find out what it...

Making a prehung door unit [ 3 Answers ]

I'm fixing up a old house and a standard steel entry door unit is too high.I can special order one but I have a 9 lite wooden door slab on hand from Lowe's so thought I might try my hand at making my own prehung.Once I have it made then set in place and install like any other.My rough opening I...

View more questions Search