Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mbohan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2006, 06:00 PM
    Cheap foreign labor argument
    Why is this argument rejected by most economist?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2006, 07:57 PM
    Because cheap foreign labor undercuts the labor force already in the US. Instead of paying someone $10.00 an hour, the employer finds someone to work for $5.00 an hour. Cheap foreign labor is generally here illegally, so the employer is not paying into workers compensation, unemployment insurance, health insurance or any other benefit. It also results in a lower standard of living.

That is what was explained to me by my former econ teacher. Take it for what it is worth.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pre labor/False labor [ 4 Answers ]

Ok odd question. How long can pre labor last? I have been having contractions since Sunday and they don't get any closer and/or change in intesity. I was just wondering since even with two previous births I have never before experienced this. I don't even know if it is pre labor or not. I just...

Cheap Foreign Labor [ 1 Answers ]

:eek: 7. The “cheap foreign labor” argument claims that trade with low wage countries will reduce living standards in the US. a. Explain why the text authors feel this argument is wrong. b. The text refers to the example of Brazilian coffee. If the US had a coffee growing industry before...

Cheap mortgage [ 1 Answers ]

What is your opinion on interest only mortgages? A person can get a $200,000 house for 1.5 to 2 percent! Their sell is that someone can invest the savings and have enough cash after 30-years to buy the house and have money to retire on... Thoughts? :eek:

Settling an argument. [ 3 Answers ]

Had a somewhat heated discussion about the side effects of a plumber using muratic acid to clean a drainage pipe (clogged by washer discharge, mostly). I maintain that this is tempting to use but could cause damage to the pipes leading to some fairly serious repair work. Do plumbers actually resort...

View more questions Search