Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xixixihahaha Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2010, 08:19 PM
    Can people accept honorarium in OPT?
    If a student in OPF has a full-time job, can he/she accept honorarium from another employer as nonemployee compensation? If can, how to file the tax return for this income? Thanks!
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 13, 2010, 01:10 AM

1099-misc (nonemployee compensation) income: You will report your income and job related expenses on schedule C or C-EZ (Form 1040). Then you put net income (or loss) on line 12 of Form 1040. Your U.S. Tax Return: Tax Filing by Self Employed Sole Proprietor or Independent Contractor
    xixixihahaha Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2010, 03:53 PM
    Thanks for the quick answer. In 2009 before Nov I was in OPT, did 3 review tasks for a funding agency. I received the honorariums for the first two tasks before my OPT expired and also received the corresponding 1099-MIsc forms. In early of 2010 I received the honorarium check for my third review task after my OPF became expired . I am in H1B after Nov 2009. But I did not receive the corresponding 1099-Misc form yet for the third honorarium.

My question is: should I include the third honorarium in my 2009 tax filing? Or should I wait until 2010? Or will there be any problem for waiting to 2010 as it is not allowed to receive honorarium when in H1b. But I did the review work when I was in OPT.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 13, 2010, 08:16 PM

Even if you do not get 1099-misc, you must report all your income. The 1099-misc income received during H1-B period is subject to SE tax at 15.3% even it was for OPT period.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

To Accept or Not Accept a Gift [ 10 Answers ]

It's the Christmas season, so yesterday I spent the day making cookies which were then wrapped in a decorative tin that I gave to a male co-worker as a thank you for help done at work and for the occasional ride home from work. I was quite surprised when he handed me a little gift bag in return....

Re. "Why can't people of different faiths accept one another?" [ 2 Answers ]

The topic "Why can't people of different faiths accept one another?" was closed Closing comment : This thread has gotten way off topic and there is too much bickering going on here. Therefore, the thread is closed. With all respect : if the topic had been closed by Admin himself or by the...

Why can't people of different faiths accept one another? [ 143 Answers ]

I was actually going to stay away from the religious discussions board, it was starting to give me an ulcer ;), but I've met so many kind caring people there that I decided to start my own thread. Why can't people of different faiths, different beliefs, accept one another? I used to be a...

View more questions Search