Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ppmdavid Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2010, 12:52 PM
    kenmore gas dryer no heat
    kenmore gas dryer model 110.742020200
    our dryer stopped heating, I am not an expert on electrical items... I think the problem is the thermal fuse. I checked it for continuity and there was none. I have not replaced it yet, but had an electrical question= down at the gas valve there is a grouping of wires. There are four white wires and they are all reading 120 v. why is this? Or is this not correct> if I disconnect the 4 white wires from their components there is no power to the white. If I plug the wires back into the ignitor or the coils then it reads 120v and through the rest of the white wires as they are pigtailed together. Which does not make sense to me either... I thought it would return (eventually) back through the white wire in the power cord.
    I am confused... I thought white wires are nuetral and have no power?
    applguy Posts: 324, Reputation: 23

Apr 15, 2010, 07:24 PM
    You're not reading "voltage" on the white wire... your meter is detecting voltage potential between the white neutral wires because the voltage is coming through the harnes from somewhere else. Your meter will show 120 volts with respect to the white neutral wires you're referring to. The other half of the question is where is your other meter lead connecting? This is most likely not where the problem lies anyway. If the white thermal fuse by the exhaust connection is open, you could simply put the two wires together and retry the dryer (make sure to unplug the dryer). If the dryer then heats, replace the thermal fuse AND the cycling thermostat next to it. If the gas valve still doesn't light, does the ignitor glow at all? Do you show 120 volts on the 2 wires that supply power to the gas valve system; these I think are black and red... would be a 2 wire molex plug near the gas valve. Sounds silly, but make sure the dryer isn't set for "air fluff".
    Angrycustomer Posts: 79, Reputation: -1

Jun 24, 2010, 07:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by applguy View Post
    You're not reading "voltage" on the white wire... your meter is detecting voltage potential between the white neutral wires because the voltage is coming through the harnes from somewhere else. Your meter will show 120 volts with respect to the white neutral wires you're referring to. The other half of the question is where is your other meter lead connecting? This is most likely not where the problem lies anyway. If the white thermal fuse by the exhaust connection is open, you could simply put the two wires together and retry the dryer (make sure to unplug the dryer). If the dryer then heats, replace the thermal fuse AND the cycling thermostat next to it. If the gas valve still doesn't light, does the ignitor glow at all? Do you show 120 volts on the 2 wires that supply power to the gas valve system; these I think are black and red...would be a 2 wire molex plug near the gas valve. Sounds silly, but make sure the dryer isn't set for "air fluff".
    =
    imagine a ball for a tumbler!! I know that sounds silly but how come they didn't make that yet?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore gas dryer///no heat [ 1 Answers ]

I have a kenmore gas dryer model #110.72602101. The dryer turns but has no heat what can I check and what does it look like?

Kenmore dryer (gas), no heat [ 1 Answers ]

Need help getting my Kenmore dryer to work, everything works,except it gets no heat.Ihave a big family,my wife and five children,we really need dryer working do about 3 loads a day.Help would be great Thanks.

Kenmore gas dryer don't heat [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am a single mom who can't afford to hire someone so please help! I have a Kenmore Gas Dryer Model # 11097274100, Serial # MC0227481. Here is the story: The other day I shut the main power switch off in the house to wire a kitchen light. I turned the main power switch back on when I was...

Kenmore Gas Dryer does not heat [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore Gas Dryer Model #110.97585210 that does not heat. A few weeks ago I shut the gas off because my wife said the laundry room smells like gas. So, the first thing I did was shut the gas off and waited a day to see if the laundry room continued to smell like gas. Well, luckily the...

View more questions Search