Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MirandaS13 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2010, 11:30 AM
    My mom passed away. I'm a 21yr old student with no insurance. What can I do?
    My mom passed away in March. She and my dad are divorced, and my dad is covered under my step-mom's insurance. I can't get covered by my step-mom's insurance, and my mom had no insurance when she passed. I'm a 21yr old student with asthma and I get chronic bronchitis. I can't keep going to the emergency room every time I get sick. What kind of benefits are there out there for me?
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2010, 11:41 AM

Why can't you be added to your step mother's insurance as her step child?

Does your school offer anything? My school has a health clinic. Seeing the dr is free, so that would be better than the emergency room. They also might be able to tell you about more help in your area.

Also, do you have a job? If not, I'd start looking for one with benefits.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 12, 2010, 01:54 PM

Now that your mom has passed ( I am sorry) your dad is or would be the custodial parent had you still been a minor,
    So even if he had not been required to furnish insurance at this point and time he will be able to now while you are still a student.

And step parents policies ( at least those though employers will cover step children.

So your step mother needs to ask to have you added to her policy. Now this may cost a considerable amount of money, Are you or the dad able to help with this ?

I know for my work policy, to insure me is one price, to add a wife is about 200 more a month, and to add a child is another 200 or so a month. So it would cost most likely somewhere in that range to add you to her policy.

You are correct ( if you live in the US) at this time, you can not buy insurance that will cover the pre-existing illness from a private carrier, it will have to be a group work policy

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My mom passed away. [ 15 Answers ]

Its been almost a year now with out my mom. Her death was sudden and quick, I was very close to her and until this day I still have outbursts of crying because I miss her so much. Is this normal? I'm on cymbalta but the pain is just still so strong, and I have had just such a bad year... is their...

For Minnesota: after my mom passed, others have given/taken her things, is that legal [ 3 Answers ]

My mom passed on the 8th of December 2009. I'm her only next of kin, which I've proven. The social worker at the nursing home decided to give some of my mom's things to her boyfriend, whom she never lived with. Also, her boyfriend has asberger's syndrome. His social worker through the county...

What can I do with mom house she passed before she signed her Will [ 1 Answers ]

My niece used my Mom house to open a Business she had her name put on Mom house, Mom made a Will to leave the house in my name but Mom passed before the Will came back from the Lawyers. Can my niece put the house in probate or have it forclosed. Can I have her pay her share of the loan back,and...

My mom passed away, do I file taxes for her? [ 1 Answers ]

My mom passed away in September. She did work until the end of February and then she retired. She was getting social security after that. I have the 1099's for both. Should I file taxes for her? She did her taxes online on my computer so I have 2006's taxes. I'm the successor of the trust and...

Mom passed away and sibilings are fighting over estate [ 4 Answers ]

I have recently lost my mom due to illness. She had 3 daughters. I am the youngest. I was the only one that took care of her and my father. Four years ago, my father passed away, he burned alive in his home while the home attendant slept and my mom saw the whole thing happen. She was...

View more questions Search