Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    knvanos Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2010, 08:19 AM
    The pilot light on the water heater goes out after the hot water temp is reached
    Noticed that our hot water wasn't hot. The pilot light was out. We re-lit the pilot and flame came on. Water heated up and then the flame went out as did the pilot light. Why doesn't the pilot light stay on?
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 12, 2010, 03:59 PM

How old is the water heater. What brand is it, what size is it. If its fairly new, it is sealed combustion. How long does the flame stay lit? It may be plugged intake filters, or faulty thermocouple. The new water heaters have an extra safey shut off device. Kind of hard to trouble shoot from here, without being able to see operation first hand. Let us know exactly what is happening, how long burner stays lit, if flame changes consistency, and any other info you can give us.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does putting gas hot water heater dial on PILOT put pilot light out? [ 5 Answers ]

My gas hot water heater dial has OFF to the left, PILOT in the middle and ON to the right. If we are going away and want to not have the water heated can we just turn the dial to PILOT and the flame will stay lit but just won't heat the water or does the flame go out completely and then PILOT would...

Pilot light on a hot water heater. [ 2 Answers ]

The pilot light keeps going out on my gas operated hot water heater. It is only 3 years old, state brand. We can light it but then after a short time it goes out. What could be the problem do I need a plumber? Thank you for your time and assistance.

Hot water heater pilot light [ 5 Answers ]

I have a Reliance self cleaning gas 808 hot water heater. Had to turn it off to flea bomb the house but for the life of me, can't actually find the pilot light to re-light! The directions of HOW to light it are on the tank but no diagram for actually finding the thing! Can anyone direct me on...

Pilot Light on Hot Water Heater [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there! My pilot light was out on our hot water heater yesterday and I could not get it lit all evening. I tried again this morning to no avail. I had a friend come over and it started for him. My next question is... does the light stay on all the time? Or will it shut off when it reaches...

View more questions Search