Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sarahquestion Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2010, 07:44 AM
    Clothes dryer stops running
    My 8 year old Kenmore 80 Series clothes dryer will run for 50 or so minutes and then sut down. I can start it again if I wait a few minutes. The more times I use it, the more quickly it shuts down. I have cleaned the lint from everywhere from the inside of the dryer (control panel and around the drumb) as well as the entire vent, right out to the outside. I always clean the lint trap after each load.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 12, 2010, 07:51 AM

Most dryers, including Kenmore, have a high heat limit switch or breaker. When the unit starts to over heat the breaker will pop, however most of these breakers or switches are not resettable so this might not be your problem. Gas or electric?

Apr 12, 2010, 09:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Most dryers, including Kenmore, have a high heat limit switch or breaker. When the unit starts to over heat the breaker will pop, however most of these breakers or switches are not resettable so this might not be your problem. Gas or electric?
    It is an electric dryer. There must be some kind on internal, auto resettable breaker beacause each time it stops before the cycle ends, I can start it again by waiting a few minutes.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 12, 2010, 11:41 AM

Sounds more like a thermal relay. If you call Sears for repair you can expect to pay about $175 to $200. Parts run about $75. How hany are you working with 240 volts, got a test meter?
    applguy Posts: 324, Reputation: 23

Apr 15, 2010, 07:05 PM
    Actually, there is no "relay" in your dryer. Most likely you have a bad drive motor. What happens is the motor runs when its cool, but overheats due to consuming too much electricity. There is a safety device in the motor that shuts it down. After it cools off a bit, the device resets automatically, allowing the motor to function again, but since the motor isn't back to room temperature, it simply reaches cutoff temp sooner. Usually this condition is identified by a louder "groaning" sound just as the motor starts. If so, I'd go get a new dryer. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Apr 19, 2010, 05:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by applguy View Post
    Actually, there is no "relay" in your dryer. Most likely you have a bad drive motor. What happens is the motor runs when its cool, but overheats due to consuming too much electricity. There is a safety device in the motor that shuts it down. After it cools off a bit, the device resets automatically, allowing the motor to function again, but since the motor isn't back to room temperature, it simply reaches cutoff temp sooner. Usually this condition is identified by a louder "groaning" sound just as the motor starts. If so, I'd go get a new dryer. Let me know if you have any more questions.
    I took the dryer apart again and vacuumed out the motor. I was then able to do 4 loads of laundry without any shut-downs, so it appears that you have identified the problem. I guess a large dust bunny was causing the motor to overheat. Thanks for your help.
    Angrycustomer Posts: 79, Reputation: -1

Jun 15, 2010, 07:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahquestion View Post
    I took the dryer apart again and vacuumed out the motor. I was then able to do 4 loads of laundry without any shut-downs, so it appears that you have identified the problem. I guess a large dust bunny was causing the motor to overheat. Thanks for your help.
    =
    I love those bunnies

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My dryer stops running after 10 minutes. [ 1 Answers ]

My Kenmore Series 60 Dryer will stop running after 10 minutes.

Dryer, wet clothes after and hour of running [ 2 Answers ]

Our Frigidaire Dryer that is 9 years old has started acting weird. It runs for an hour and a half on high heat, and the cloths are still damp. Medium sized load, cleaneded the lint throughout the unit, and in the exhaust pipe going outside, visiually inspected the heating coil to find no breaks......

Maytag Dryer stops after running about 15 minutes [ 1 Answers ]

I have a maytag dryer model LDE4914ACE. The dryer has a grinding sound when it starts up even if the drum is empty. The dryer will run for about 15 minutes initially then it will stop. I can start it up again immediately and it will run about 10 minutes and stop. I will finally get to shorter...

View more questions Search