Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2010, 08:17 PM
    Benadryl for dogs.
    Sariss this is mostly for you, I've read a couple of your post saying a dog can take benadryl. My dog has allergies, supposedly they are food allergies and the food he is on worked for awhile but he is now itching again, so I'm thinking of picking up some benadryl, but I was wondering how long do recommend he be on them... Is it safe to give it to him everyday until his vet appointment?(He has a vet appointment in about a month for his shots, and I really don't want to pay the $70 vet bill twice if I don't need to)
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2010, 08:20 PM

Benadryl won't work for a food allergy -- Food allergies are from within, not environmental.

What type of food is your pup on?
    ageless_hippiechick Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2010, 08:22 PM

Dogs can take children's Benadryl.

If your dog is suffering skin allergies from his food, you may want to try putting him on a homemade (raw) diet. You can find recipes online and the only equipment you'll need is a good grinder. Many animals are allergic to commercial foods, but a raw diet replicates a natural diet.
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2010, 08:22 PM

Medi-cal Hypoallergenic HP. He was on allergy medication from the vet and they worked, but she only prescribed enough for 20 days.
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2010, 08:24 PM

Is Medi-Cal the brand name?
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2010, 08:30 PM
    Name:  dukes food.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  108.3 KB This is it here, it may be royal canine but the vet refers to it as medi cal
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2010, 08:32 PM

Lol its Royal Canin -- says so in the front :P

What are the ingredients? Does it have a lot of grain in it? I know Royal Canin isn't the worse, but its also not the best.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Apr 11, 2010, 08:37 PM

Funyn thing that's what a lot of the vets here in Canada recommend, that and science diet. I am also not a fan of the medi cal.

EMily have you thought about a hollistick diet? Most allergies are from wheat. And even on a Hollistick diet, they will still need to get their essential grasses. Which you can give to them in natural fruit and grass treats.

Emily if you don't mind me asking, where in Canada do you live? I might no of some places to get a more natural diet for your pup.
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2010, 08:38 PM

The ingredients are rice, soy protein isolate hydrolysate, chicken fat, natural flavor, dried beet pulp, calcium carbonate, monopotassium phosphate, soya bean oil, sodium silico aluminate(zeolate), fish oil, fructooligosacchardes, salt, potassium chloride, taurine, borage oil, choline chloride, and a bunch of vitamins.. (there is to many, I don't really want to type them :P)
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2010, 08:39 PM

I live in manitoba, if you want more specific I'll PM you.
    Dogs Expert

Apr 11, 2010, 08:40 PM

Hey that's actually not too bad. May be the rice. Could be the preservatives that are making your pooch itch too. You could try adding a can of sardines or some omega oils to his diet.
    Dogs Expert

Apr 11, 2010, 08:41 PM

I used to live in MB, are you living in one of the majors? I just happen to know of a great naturalist in the peg...
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2010, 08:41 PM

Those are not the best of ingredients... Soy is bad.. Chicken fat - Horrible... "natural" flavor.. red flag!

Even though it says for allergies, doesn't mean its going to work for your dog... And a lot of times, vets don't know a lot about foods and the pros and cons of it.
    Dogs Expert

Apr 11, 2010, 08:42 PM

I used to live in Winnipeg.
    Dogs Expert

Apr 11, 2010, 08:43 PM

Not the best, but not the worst by any means. I actually didn't think it was too bad for commercial brand.
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2010, 08:45 PM

What brand do you recommend? I cannot spend too much money but this one is $50 for 51 cups, so the most I could spend would be $70 for the same amount.
    Dogs Expert

Apr 11, 2010, 08:50 PM

There is a place in the city called Earth bound, it's about $50 bucks for the largest bag (I forget how many Kg's) what is your dog weight?
    Earthborn Holistic Pet Food - Pet food & Supply - Pet Supply, pet shops and pet stores at Petlifestyleonline.com

THis is what I am using right now.

Holistic Blend

I really like it.
    Dogs Expert

Apr 11, 2010, 08:51 PM

Here is another one:

PET VALU BETTER PET NUTRITION, WINNIPEG, MB, 27 Marion Street, Dominion Centre
    Ultra Member

Haha wow, you're willing to spend $70? Nice!

I, of coarse, always recommend Innova. Your case, I'd recommend Evo. Evo is an alternative to the Raw or barf diets. I know of a lot of people who do use this food as an alternative.

Check out some of the ingredients...

Meat-Based Pet Food – Premium Dog Food, Cat Food, Ferret Food, Dog Treats – EVO Pet Products

Hope that page works..

Also.. Wellness just came out with an allergy line.

Wellness Dog Simple® Recipes

Van Patten's Natural Balance also has some allergy formula foods, however, Natural Balance has something in their ingredients that makes the dog gassy. Not sure what.

Van Patten's Natural Balance® Allergy Formulas for Dogs
    Ultra Member

My dog weighs about 8 kg, or 17.6 pounds.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Benadryl for dogs [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 6-1/2 pound poodle/bishon, he will not let the groomers groom him,he gets very aggressive, he even bit one of the groomer. I heard that I can give him benadryl to calm him down. Is that true ,how much to give him and what kind of Benadryl? I have Benadryl/Allergy.

Dogs, benadryl [ 11 Answers ]

I have a Bichon that has been chewing on her right front paw to the point that all the hair has been removed. Due to our current financial situation a visit to the vet is not possible right now. We had taken her to the vet previously and she was treated for allergies. I know you can give dogs...

Dosage of benadryl for dogs [ 4 Answers ]

Apparent bee sting, how much benadryl do I give him?

Can I use Benadryl itch stopping gel on a rash in my dogs groin area [ 1 Answers ]

Can I use Benadryl itch stopping gel on a rash in my dogs groin area

Is Benadryl OK to give to dogs? [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriends mom gives our dog and her dog Benadryl 2x a day and 2 pills eachtime... for a total of 4 pills a DAY!! Is that healthy? Will it cause our dogs to get sick? I'm very worried about our dogs!

View more questions Search