Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    debinnj Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2010, 04:27 PM
    withheld ny state taxes file a z ero return to get them back?
    My husband works in NJ for an NY corporation. We lived in NJ for all of 2009. The corporation withheld NY taxes from his W2. When I file our personal NY return to get back those taxes, how do I zero it out to get the withheld taxes back? Do I put his W2 earnings as zero even though they have been reported to NY by his employer? Also, do I report the W2 earnings to NJ since the employer failed to do so?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 11, 2010, 09:36 PM

If your husband did not work in NY, he does not have NY income. Employer should not withhold NY taxes.
    Yes, file NY taxes as nonresident with 0 NY income and claim the refund. You must file NJ tax return even employer did not report it as NJ income.
    With NY return, attach copy of NJ return as well a letter from employer that you were not present in NY to work; you worked in NJ. Your U.S. Tax Return: Working or Living in Two or More states
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 12, 2010, 06:18 AM

Your husband needs to talk to his employer to get this corrected for 2010, so you don't have this same problem next year. They should be witholding NJ tax, NOT NY. If they continue to fail to withhold for NJ, you will be facing an interest penalty next year imposed by NJ for failing to pay taxes throughout the year.
    debinnj Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2010, 10:40 AM
    Thank you both for your help. The link from MukatA was also very helpful. I have been paying estimated taxes to NJ throughout 2009 to avoid this NJ underpayment penalty.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Resident of KY but employer withheld NJ state taxes [ 3 Answers ]

During complete year 2008, I worked and lived in Louisville, KY at client site but my employer is NJ based so they withheld taxes for state NJ in my pay check? I am not sure what forms I have to fill for NJ and KY to pass on tax credits to KY from NJ? I would really appreciate your help. Thanks in...

How To Get Back The Amount Withheld As Taxes. [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Sir, Sub : How To Get Back The Amount Withheld As Taxes. I am an Indian citizen. I was a Green Card holder and stayed and worked in the US from 1971 to 1983. In 1983, I took the change of residency and settled in India permanently. Presently, I am filing Indian Income Tax returns...

State Taxes withheld for wrong state on 1099-R [ 2 Answers ]

I was temporarily in another state, for 2 weeks, and closed a retirement account and received a 1099-R and they withheld the wrong state taxes. All of my employment is in MN and the taxes were withheld in VA. What do I do?

Not Sure why NJ State Taxes Withheld - What to do? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm a student living in State X. My summer internship was in State Y. When I received my W2, I realized my employer had withheld taxes for States X, Y, and also for NJ. I am not a resident of nor did I do any work in NJ this fiscal year. The only connection I have to NJ is that my...

Employer withheld wrong state taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I have worked for a company in NYC for the past 12 years while living in Pennsylvania. In January 2007, my company switched me finally to our new office in Pennsylvania. Problem is that they never changed my tax withholdings from NY to PA. The issue fell between the cracks, and I never...

View more questions Search