Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sayno2sweets Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2010, 06:09 PM
    Is numbness of the tongue normal after dental procedure?
    I had a dental procedure on February 5 my tongue has been tingling ever since. I have shooting pain on the left side of my mouth. The DA said it would go away in a week or two its been over 2 months now. I don't enjoy food, I can't chew gum because it feels like my tongue is burning. Any suggestions? Please help.(36 YO female) no medical conditions.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2010, 07:32 AM

You should go back and SEE the dentist. Parasthesia (prolonged numbness) can happen but the dentist has to know and make notes on your record. It could take up to 6 months for the feeling to come back completely.

There is nothing you can do but give it time.
    sayno2sweets Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2010, 04:52 AM

Went to Dentist he said 8 months to a year, just wait. I don't like that answer. He says there is nothing you can do, besides waiting...
    scarpia Posts: 23, Reputation: 0

Jun 22, 2010, 03:25 PM

What did you have done? I remember being warned about this possibility when having wisdom teeth extracted, but it didn't happen. You should talk to a neurologist about it.

Some people say certain vitamins and suppliments help nerves regenerate. You could try these:

Vitamin B12 (Methylcobalamin) sublingual
    - helps to regenerate damaged nerves
    2000-3000mg daily

Lecithin (granules or capsules)
    - Supplies choline and inositol for nerve function.
    1 tbsp 3 x day before meals.
    or 1200mg capsules 3 x day before meals

Zinc
    - enhances healing
    50mg daily - do not exceed a total of 100mg daily from all supplements
    - use Zinc picolinate. Secondary choice, Zinc glucanate in lozenges or OptiZinc for good absorption.

Vitamin B Complex
    - Essential in nerve function
    100mg of each major B vitamin, 3 x day

Coenzyme Q10
    - Improves tissue oxygenation
    30-90mg daily

Kelp - beneficial to nerves (as directed on label)
    Manganese - Helpful for nerve problems (as directed on label)
    Primrose oil/flaxseed oil - contain essential fatty acids necessary for nerve function (2tbsp/day)
    Vitamin A (25,000 IU/day) , C (1000mg x4/day), E (200 IU/day)- powerful antioxidants, important in healing and reducing swelling. (Vit E - use d-alpha-tocopherol form)

Herbs:

St.John's wort - stimulates circulation and helps to restore local nerve impulse transmission

Ginko biloba - beneficial for improving circulation and aids in nerve function

Marshmallow root - soothes and softens tissues and promotes healing

Homeopathics:

Hypericum perforatum 200ch
    - aids in nerve "pain" and helps restore local nerve impulse transmission

Arnica Montana 200ch
    - helps with any kind of trauma/injury/shock to system
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 22, 2010, 03:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by scarpia View Post
    Arnica Montana 200ch
    - helps with any kind of trauma/injury/shock to system
    Where do you suggest she apply the arnica? "Arnica is currently used in liniment and ointment preparations used for strains, sprains, and bruises.If ingested internally, the toxin helenalin produces severe gastroenteritis, and internal bleeding of the digestive tract if enough material is ingested." (Wikipedia)
    scarpia Posts: 23, Reputation: 0

Jun 22, 2010, 03:50 PM

OP has shooting pain on the left side of the mouth. Left cheek then.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2010, 05:42 AM

The office I used to work in had an Alpha Laser that we used weekly on clients who suffered from parasthesia. Perhaps you can call your dentist for a referral to someone who has one of these lasers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What causes numbness in the tongue? [ 8 Answers ]

The left side of my tongue is giving off a numbness sensation like when you get a shot at the dentist. I didn't go to the dentist it just started feeling like this about 2 days ago, and it's effecting my taste. What is it and what can I do to get rid of this feeling?

Numbness on tongue [ 2 Answers ]

I have been told I have a lot of noise in the wall of the hearth and then after testing said something about one of my valves are not opening right , was put on nitro pills, everything fine and now I am experience some numbness in my mouth on my tongue and lips and from the nose on both side is...

What causes numbness on the lips and tongue [ 2 Answers ]

What causes numbness in the mouth and on lips

Tongue numbness [ 7 Answers ]

The tip of my tongue has been numb for the last few days. I have noticed recently that my lips also feel numb. I do have a cold which is getting better. I am on blood pressure medication and prozac and have been for some time. I recently had a spider bite as well, but it is going away. This is...

Mouth and Tongue Numbness [ 2 Answers ]

Over the past several weeks (approx. 3) I have been experiencing a significant amount of numbness in my mouth and tongue. It causes me to want to lick the inside of my lips which also causes irritation. Also, I have had a moderate amount of numbness in my fingertips. I was taking Topomax for...

View more questions Search