Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    EXTREEK Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2010, 01:27 AM
    Interesting weight training question
    I'm a male, 19, 135 pounds. Ive recently have been working with dumbells around 30-40 pounds each at 10 reps. When I do the first 10 reps it's the normal difficulty. However after a 5 min break I came back and did the same thing however this time it was a lot easier where 50 pounds each felt like the same difficulty as the 40s from before. It happens to me often but I'm not sure why. Is it because I'm warmed up or some kind of trigger in my body that makes me suddenly stronger?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 9, 2010, 02:28 AM

Its because you have warmed up your muscles. You have created more blood flow, giving them a boost. That's when you know they are at full capacity.

Tick
    pmera Posts: 34, Reputation: 3

Apr 9, 2010, 12:49 PM

Exactly, you got it its because that first set was essentially a warm up set and with the increase bloodflow to the musclefibers you are lifting with more energy :)
    EXTREEK Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2010, 08:04 PM

Thanks. What id the best way to warm up?
    pmera Posts: 34, Reputation: 3

Apr 11, 2010, 08:07 PM

Any type of dynamic movement will help warm you up as well as a little cardio before hand (im a fan of the rower), but if it is heavy lifting you are going for, most bodybuilder and other heavy lifters recommend a warm up set of weights. Lift heavier on your second set.
    kiwi21 Posts: 21, Reputation: 2

Apr 12, 2010, 11:34 PM

Why are you having 5 min rests between sets? By the look at your rep range you are training for muscle hypertrophy, if that is the case a 5 min rest between sets is to long. If you are training more for strength the long rests between sets are OK but lower your rep range to 4-6 reps at about 80-90% of your one rep max and stick to compound exercises if training for strength.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cardio vs weight training-which is more effective for quick weight loss? [ 4 Answers ]

I know most everyone makes a big deal about the "fat burning" cardio, but I also know that having a high % of lean muscle bumps up the metabolism, and burns fat faster. If you're working out hard with the weights, you are getting the old heart pumping too. What would be a good regimen for someone...

Weight loss and weight training [ 5 Answers ]

I need to lose 12 to 14 pounds I gained during the past months as a result of anxiety and not having the time to work out. I used to be fashion model thin, probably because of genes, but after having to eat precious little during a long stay in Thailand, I couldnīt eat the food there - I got...

Interesting Question/Debate.. [ 24 Answers ]

Hi everyone... I wanted to raise this question, having a bit of a debate! Does anyone think there is a correlation between gender and whether you are the dumper or dumpee. What I mean is, do men walk from relationships more than women or is it vice versa? It seems to me that from what...

Weight training [ 4 Answers ]

I am 24 and am going to start lifting wights everyday. I don't want to get big, just fit. I am not to interested in leg excercises, I am going to jog. So I guess what I am asking is does anyone have a propgram for everyday that would get me fit. Thanks a lot

New Here, Have Some Interesting Question? [ 3 Answers ]

Well, hey guyz. I am 18 years old male, live in New Jersey and have some question for you guys. Well, guyz I am half south asian and half european. My original skin complexion is somewhat fair to light. Until last summer, my complexion was great until I hit ACNE!! Since, obviously I wanted to get...

View more questions Search